The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
asim1701
Thx for the post shadowfax, i agree with you, i've lived in london and sydney for a year each, and I definitely like sydney more, but I guess an Imperial degree would count way more than a Sydney degree on an international level.

i go to usyd. Usyd will kill most unis in terms of social aspects, but wont kill Imperial in terms of rep :smile:
(G)imperial is the best choice AFAIK
Reply 42
Everytime I come into the IB&C sub-forum, most of the threads, annoyingly, follow the format X vs. Y for IB.

I admit that I have posed such threads before, but I propose that from now on anyone who wants to ask questions about university or course suitability should post them in this thread and we can have on-going discussions in a clearly defined space. This will, hopefully, clean up the sub-forum and make it easier to navigate.

I may even post links in this 1st post to posts of different comparisons.

Hopefully, this can become a sticky.
Reply 43
Ok...following on from MORSE degree Vs. Imperial...

Mustard Man - I have applied for MMorse, but may change later!

I still am a little unsure about whether to pick Warwick or Imperial. I know that Imperial wins hands down international reputation wise, but surely it won't make much of a difference employability since Warwick has a better Maths department than Imperial and the MORSE degree is probably the only one of it's kind offered by any of the Universities.

Was also wondering, how much does anyone that has posted know about the MORSE course? And why have they said that Imperial is better (for those that haven't explained :P )

I really appreciate the help, thanks :smile: xx
Reply 44
Alternatively guys, it might be an idea to search through the forum for discussions that have taken place multiple times in the past.

For example.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351393& - has an infinite number of pages discussing the relative merits of different courses and universities.

Singh_87 has a fabulous thread which outlines the basics: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259237

I know this will only provide generic information, however keep in mind that generic info is all you're really going to get here, coupled with a lot of opinions formed by uninformed individuals, and bitterness :smile:

The links I've just posted are only 2 out of possibly thousands on the same topics - a little bit of searching goes a long way :smile:
Reply 45
Does York really deserve to be at 12th on Big4Monkeys list?
Reply 46
Well, I have a query then. I would like to know if econ and econ history is a good enough course to get into IB. It is probably less econ based but still needs an A in A-level maths. entry grades are AAB at LSE and most other Uni's??
Id expect itd be good enough to get you an interview.
AlphaX
Everytime I come into the IB&C sub-forum, most of the threads, annoyingly, follow the format X vs. Y for IB.

I admit that I have posed such threads before, but I propose that from now on anyone who wants to ask questions about university or course suitability should post them in this thread and we can have on-going discussions in a clearly defined space. This will, hopefully, clean up the sub-forum and make it easier to navigate.

I may even post links in this 1st post to posts of different comparisons.

Hopefully, this can become a sticky.
Well, there was already a thread like this (which was stickied), a very good one must I add. But it got locked because of lots of flaming and off-topic stuff. Wonder how long this will last.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7795578&postcount=1
For Front Office :redface:
Maybe do very well, get a first, and get a masters at a good uni :smile:
silly.animal
How would you rate: Maths, Finance and Economics at City.

I know City isn't highly regarded at all, but the content actually looks really well suited to IB.

Be hard to get into a BB id have thought, could probably set you up for a decent MSc though if you do well.
Reply 51
I will throw my credentials in here what do people think? 3As at A level, history, Politics, Economics

History/Politics at the University of York

I have taken a gap year and have been interning as an equity research analyst at a small asset management firm

Personally speaking, I feel if I can get some good extra curricula things i.e set up an investment club, plus my work experience, I can at least get a few interviews for FO at BB firms. Would this be about right or to ambitious baring in mind York is not right at the top of targets for IBs?
There are people from York in FO.BB I would think, maybe few, but there are still some there.

Our own IB insider, here says York is 12th: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7795578#post7795578
Reply 53
Also, your course isnt quantative. Apparently the vast majority of non-quantative grads in front office IB are from Oxbridge and LSE. Also, you dont have a-level maths which could put you at a disadvantage (so ive heard)
Reply 54
I have a question, i think we all agree that econ and econ+management are good for IB, but how about PPE.

I PPE a good degree for a career in IB, as in do the banks like it?

Or is it more like this:

If you have a PPE degree from a top uni, it is perfectly okay for banks, but as further down the rankings you go, the less they will see it as relevant and the more economics do they want... or?
Reply 55
PPE from Oxford, yes definitely
PPE from anywhere else (except maybe Warwick), will be harder. Apparently in IB, university rep is generally more important than course.
Reply 56
nayiseda
Also, your course isnt quantative. Apparently the vast majority of non-quantative grads in front office IB are from Oxbridge and LSE. Also, you dont have a-level maths which could put you at a disadvantage (so ive heard)

I can clearly appreciate what you say about the Maths element. However my preferred areas of IB would be either M & A or equity research. Now I would hope that while obviously within these areas Maths still plays a critical role it would not be as important as other areas of IB. For example I have experience within my internship of determining EV/EBITDA and PE Ratios from company balance sheets. Clearly there will be more in depth valuation required but I would hope it would show my Mathematical competence.
Reply 57
MA doesnt require exceptional maths skills, but it is probs the most difficult to get into.
wazzup
MA doesnt require exceptional maths skills, but it is probs the most difficult to get into.

Maybe in terms of numbers, not sure about overall.
Reply 59
supernova2
Id expect itd be good enough to get you an interview.

That's a good thing then, yeah? I guess then it would be up to my own personal performance in the interview.

OR

It may/may not get me an interview as candidates with better (??) degrees may have also applied.

Straight econ is better then.:rolleyes:

THANKS.:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending