The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hackett
x

why the neg?
Original post by Tsunami2011
why the neg?

I do apologise, I'm on my Iphone and I clicked it by accident whilst I was scrolling....my bad.
Original post by Hackett
I do apologise, I'm on my Iphone and I clicked it by accident whilst I was scrolling....my bad.

Oh its fine:smile: I was just curious, since for some reason some people seem to have a problem with these widening access schemes.
Oh its fine:smile: I was just curious, since for some reason some people seem to have a problem with these widening access schemes.

TBH - these wider access schemes do fustrate me at times.. I mean not applying to something because I am white is a bit pathetic don't you think? I can see why people have a problem with them,
Original post by Hackett
TBH - these wider access schemes do fustrate me at times.. I mean not applying to something because I am white is a bit pathetic don't you think? I can see why people have a problem with them,

Yeah, I agree. I'm not too fond of the Deutsche scheme but the entrace requirements for city brokerage are

Be completing your A levels or equivalent this academic year.
Live or go to a state school or college in one of the following boroughs: Camden, Hackney, Islington, Lambeth, Southwark, Tower Hamlets or Westminster.
Have achieved at least a B in English and Maths GCSE.
Be eligible to work in the UK.

I'm sure that you'll agree that these are reasonable.
Original post by Hackett
Simple answer: Yes.

if you live in London try citylink brokerage or Detusche bank 'I have a dream'

Hey, if you don't mind giving me a bit more detail I would appreciate it.

I don't live in London, which banks would be good to try at? Small regional banks or the larger nationwide banks?

How many weeks work ex. do I need? What else could I do apart from voluntary/work ex. in a bank? I haven't done anything banking related at college, my subjects are Maths, Bio, Chem, would this put me at a disadvantage? Also, what would I need to get involved with when I join uni to boost my chances? I have a part time job working in an established jeweler so I meet quite a lot of professional business type people.
Original post by hash007
Hey, if you don't mind giving me a bit more detail I would appreciate it.

I don't live in London, which banks would be good to try at? Small regional banks or the larger nationwide banks?

How many weeks work ex. do I need? What else could I do apart from voluntary/work ex. in a bank? I haven't done anything banking related at college, my subjects are Maths, Bio, Chem, would this put me at a disadvantage? Also, what would I need to get involved with when I join uni to boost my chances? I have a part time job working in an established jeweler so I meet quite a lot of professional business type people.

Anything will do really. In your first year, you'll need to get involved in the finance society. Try and become a first year representative for your subject. Spring Weeks/Summer internships are competitive, so you need to stand out, and this can be done through experience considering most will have none. Your subjects are fine. Your part-time job will be good for allowing you to demonstrate your gained skills, which will help, but other than that it won't hold much weight.
Reply 8347
Just got an offer to study Mathematics at Warwick. (MMath). Is this a good course to get into IB'ing/S&T/quant roles? Better/as good as MORSE? I understand alot of people gearing towards the financial sector opt for MORSE or Maths+ Econ, but I'd prefer maths as it offers more challenging pure modules as well as applied maths and economical mathematics/stats.
is Birmingham's MBF a good course to get a career in IB? not necessarily a FO job but maybe MO/BO?

what have I been negged for? It doesn't make any sense LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8349
I couldn't necessarily comment on the quality of the programme, but I do know they are currently considering a Memorandum of Understanding with CISI. This would possibly lead to exemptions from certain qualifications from CISI, which butters a few parsnips in the IB world.
Original post by wilf69
I couldn't necessarily comment on the quality of the programme, but I do know they are currently considering a Memorandum of Understanding with CISI. This would possibly lead to exemptions from certain qualifications from CISI, which butters a few parsnips in the IB world.

ok, sounds good :smile:
Would it be better if I studied:
- Combined Social Sciences (mainly Economics) at Durham University, or
- Management at McGill?
Original post by tripleeagle
Would it be better if I studied:
- Combined Social Sciences (mainly Economics) at Durham University, or
- Management at McGill?

Durham is supposedly better
Original post by Sdiff
Just got an offer to study Mathematics at Warwick. (MMath). Is this a good course to get into IB'ing/S&T/quant roles? Better/as good as MORSE? I understand alot of people gearing towards the financial sector opt for MORSE or Maths+ Econ, but I'd prefer maths as it offers more challenging pure modules as well as applied maths and economical mathematics/stats.

Yes. The Maths department is the strongest at Warwick, and high numbers from the maths and econ departments, and the business school break into the industry.
Reply 8354
Econ and politics at york? I know the university is not the most important factor but would it be a disadvantage?
Original post by Nerdy03
Econ and politics at york? I know the university is not the most important factor but would it be a disadvantage?

Uphill struggle.I don't think York is even a semi target and 'apparently' the lower down the table you go, the more quantative your degree should be.. still waiting on Warwick?
Reply 8356
Uphill struggle.I don't think York is even a semi target and 'apparently' the lower down the table you go, the more quantative your degree should be.. still waiting on Warwick?

Yes but it's already march and I don't think I'll get an offer so it's probably going to be York. Thanks for your answer!
Reply 8357
Any suggestions would be appreciated;

Kingston uni london- Financial Mathematics
x
Computer Science at Durham?
(edited 12 years ago)
what would my chances be for investment banking: chemistry degree from manchester uniersity

Latest