The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8540
Hi, I know I have left this very very late, but I was currently deciding between offers from the University of Nottingham and the University of Edinburgh, and was unsure which one to firm - both are for straight Economics.

My dream job would be working in Investment Banking either in London or even abroad in a Major Financial area - e.g. Singapore, Zurich, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai, Frankfurt, Tokyo or even Amsterdam.

Working for a Major IB e.g JP Morgan, UBS, Nomura, and living in one of those cities would literally be a dream for me, and if it increased the chances of me getting into Investment Banking I'd be more than willing to apply straight for an internship or jobs in one of those major cities abroad rather than working in London first - I can't see myself living in the UK for a long time after graduating anyway.

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated as I will be firming soon, and I just wanted to know which Uni would be better for IB here, and which for abroad, and how big the advantages were? And if it would be easier/better to apply straight abroad from one of them universities for an internship/job, or easier to go to London and hope to get a transfer? Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CynicaL
Quick question:

I know it would not be as solid as a quantitative degree from one of the 'target universities' but I'd like an idea of how (MEng) Chemical Engineering at The University of Birmingham would stack up in comparison (providing a first or 2:1 and A*AA at A2). Birmingham is ranked highly for Chem Eng (3rd in Guardian rankings), would this be of any relevance?

Everyone has A*AA. Everyone has a 1st or 2.1. Birmingham will hold you back massively, it's the university that matters, not the course. HR don't sit there looking at which university is first for each course in the Guardian rankings, and then interview loads of students from said course and university.

Get a 2.1 at least (banks don't really care whether it's a 1st or 2.1). Get lots of work experience, volunteer work, extra-curriculars etc. Network well. Learn your **** and interview techniques. Then you will be in an okay position to get interviews. You can make it from Birmingham, but it'll be much harder than from one of the targets.
Original post by PaLaK-
Hi, I know I have left this very very late, but I was currently deciding between offers from the University of Nottingham and the University of Edinburgh, and was unsure which one to firm - both are for straight Economics.

My dream job would be working in Investment Banking either in London or even abroad in a Major Financial area - e.g. Singapore, Zurich, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai, Frankfurt, Tokyo or even Amsterdam.

Working for a Major IB e.g JP Morgan, UBS, Nomura, and living in one of those cities would literally be a dream for me, and if it increased the chances of me getting into Investment Banking I'd be more than willing to apply straight for an internship or jobs in one of those major cities abroad rather than working in London first - I can't see myself living in the UK for a long time after graduating anyway.

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated as I will be firming soon, and I just wanted to know which Uni would be better for IB here, and which for abroad, and how big the advantages were? And if it would be easier/better to apply straight abroad from one of them universities for an internship/job, or easier to go to London and hope to get a transfer? Thanks.

Nottingham has a slight edge.
Original post by student222
Oh okk, ye it does. fills in everything apart from the answer to personal questions. really 1.5 is steep? with a discount..i wouldn't complain if I had to pay £10 to fill in like 15 applications. seeing as ucas charges like 22+ for what it does. how much would you expect it to be?

I would expect it to be free.

You can't compare this to UCAS, because you HAVE to use UCAS to apply to university. Your business just takes money from students for what they could do for free; do you not see the problem with charging? I'm not going to pay for something that i can get for free.
Original post by Industrious Orca

You can't compare this to UCAS, because you HAVE to use UCAS to apply to university. Your business just takes money from students for what they could do for free; do you not see the problem with charging? I'm not going to pay for something that i can get for free.

Agreed, thats why I said it should just be a free tool and then they can use it to advertise some other services which people may actually pay for (like the CV/CL service on M&I)
Original post by Scorcher
This is obviously your business. Every single thread I click on you've either advertised it or answered a question saying why it's so amazing. Subtle advertising :cool:

Whilst it is a good idea in theory, I just can't see anybody trusting it with their details and applications at this stage, however once it's more well known that may change.

I can't see anybody paying (especially broke students) when it doesn't take THAT long to fill out an application. It would work better as a free tool and then you can use that to leverage other ideas that you can charge for such as subscribing to an email with a list of all opportunities, or a CV/Cover Letter service etc. Just some food for thought.

Just to clear up, this is not my business idea. I don't want the person who does own it to think I am taking credit for it, I just genuinely thought it was a good idea. I actually posted it in about 2 or maybe 3 other threads...so not really everywhere..

I think its worth it and seems as though a lot of people think the same, especially to the ones I have spoken to. And if it was my business, trust me I would have posted it anywhere I could to let people know. I just posted it into relevant threads where people thought it might be useful..which was about 3. Thought thats what student room was all about..
Original post by Industrious Orca

Again, as I replied to someone else...this is not my business. I guess if it got companies on board to use it as the only way to apply to them then it would be more like UCAS and more people would be interested to use it...those who dont just want to pay to save them time filling in lots of generic info on forms. But still for me that took time..and something I would personally pay for and clearly a lot of people would pay for. A lot of students don't mind spending money just to make their life a little easier...don't think every student is as strapped for cash as everyone thinks..maybe thats just me..or the people around my uni...
Reply 8547
i think you are posting this on facebook applicant groups too
Reply 8548
Original post by CynicaL
Didn't give IB much thought and picked the best option for chem eng outside of London. Wasn't predicted the A* either. Long story.

Should have taken a gap and then reapplied to ICL or Oxbridge
Importance of doing finance related modules in 2nd year? Or is quality of degree more important. Studying MMath at Nottingham if that helps. Thanks
Reply 8550
Original post by joestevens2092
Importance of doing finance related modules in 2nd year? Or is quality of degree more important. Studying MMath at Nottingham if that helps. Thanks

It's better to but you must get a 2.1 in The module otherwise it would be best to do what you're best at.
Information Systems Management and Innovation (MSc) at Warwick Business School? What are the chances for Big4 in technology consulting, or accenture/ibm? or technology division within IB?
Reply 8552
How is management bsc at Warwick viewed upon? Thinking about both ib and second tier consulting. Some say its a bull****t degree, but its target school right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8553
Original post by TheNikko
How is management bsc at Warwick viewed upon? Thinking about both ib and second tier consulting. Some say its a bull****t degree, but its target school right?

it's good! :smile:
Original post by TheNikko

Warwick is a target uni, so as long as your degree is respectable it's all ceteris paribus - Management is sufficiently respectable. I can't speak for consulting recruitment, but Management at Warwick will not hold you back in terms of IB recruitment, and there are a large number of people on the course who have secured summer internships in the industry this year.

In terms of rigour of the degree, the Management students have a lot of choice in their modules, so you can fill your degree with "bull****" modules, or more challenging or finance-relevant modules, as you see fit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8555
MSc Economics Nottingham or Warwick Master Business (Accouting finance stream)

As I only got an 2:1 so I cant get in lse. Which one of above grant me more chances to get into IBD in Banks ?
Reply 8556
Biology at Exeter for an operations investment banking intern position?
What about BA Theology at Exeter?
...realistically?
(edited 11 years ago)
Maths at Durham? Realistically
Reply 8558
Original post by maths134
Maths at Durham? Realistically

Looking at your other options, it was probably the dumbest thing to do to make durham your insurance.
Original post by Brianop
Looking at your other options, it was probably the dumbest thing to do to make durham your insurance.

Hardly

Latest

Trending

Trending