Nottingham
Bristol
Durham

In that order?

What about St. Andrews?
Original post by Mtice
In that order?

What about St. Andrews?

Not really an order. Just note that Nottingham has a very strong Economics department, that along with Law is the university's strongest points. Bristol is also very strong for Economics, but has a relatively small department from what my friends tell me. Durham is 'relatively' weak for Economics..I say this when comparing it to their other top departments and the top 5. It's also a BA...make of that what you will. Durham as a whole has a stellar reputation, so you can't go wrong by going there.

St Andrews is not even in the top 20 for graduate prospects/recruitment and someone better informed may be able to tell you differently, but I don't think it is given any extra kudos by the banks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8602
Hey,

If i had BCCC in A levels, taken in 2008, but now i am on course for a First class in Electrical Engineering from Russell group Uni, do i have a chance at getting a IB interview?

I have a mitigating reason for poor performance in A levels, which is on file with my School at University.
How much better is Warwick Economics than Warwick Accounting & Finance? I'd appreciate it if a student at the school could provide me with some insight.
How much better are Imperial and Warwick then Cass?

I already hold an offer from Cass that I deferred last year as I really wanted to do their MSc Corporate Finance. However, I might apply for Imperial and Warwick also if Cass is considered as not good enough. (Applying to those as I haven't done GMAT).
i graduated from univ of edinburgh economics and international relations with
exchange program at UPENN and summer school at lse.

Then i did my masters at lse for political economy.

would i be able to gain competitive edge? would attending both schools and gaining a degree help? and possibly get a job in banking:
analyst to human resource management.
Applying for MMath courses in september. I'm not set on IB, but it would be nice to know whether it would be an option.

Unis:
Cambridge
Warwick/Imperial
Durham/Bath/Exeter
St Andrews/Southampton/Loughborough/Heriot-Watt

Obviously these need narrowing down, with only 1 of the bottom 4 being chosen (as an insurance).
I know the first 3 are target unis, but what of the rest?
In particular I want to know if its still possible with a degree from Durham/Bath/Exeter.

Would a year in industry from Bath (BSc course) or Loughborough help in any way?
Cass - Accounting & Finance
Cass - Investment & Financial Risk Management
University of Bath - Accounting & Finance
Original post by Appeal to reason
Applying for MMath courses in september. I'm not set on IB, but it would be nice to know whether it would be an option.

Unis:
Cambridge
Warwick/Imperial
Durham/Bath/Exeter
St Andrews/Southampton/Loughborough/Heriot-Watt

Obviously these need narrowing down, with only 1 of the bottom 4 being chosen (as an insurance).
I know the first 3 are target unis, but what of the rest?
In particular I want to know if its still possible with a degree from Durham/Bath/Exeter.

Would a year in industry from Bath (BSc course) or Loughborough help in any way?

In order - Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial are top. Durham is a decent sized gap behind, then the others, probably Bath and St Andrews, then Southampton, then Exeter and Loughborough, and then Herriot-Watt.

Durham is very good, semi-targeted and gets around 3 or 4 times less in than UCL in my experience, which is still a decent number. It's a lot better than Bath and Exeter. I do think that the year in industry courses help a fair amount.
Original post by Extensity
Cass - Accounting & Finance
Cass - Investment & Financial Risk Management
University of Bath - Accounting & Finance

Cass is probably better than Bath.
Original post by igohardondis
Hi, how would the rank the chances of someone who studies economics at City university and gains a 1st?

Surely even though City is not viewed as one of the most reputable universities, the top students would still be able to compete for high earning jobs in financial institutions?

cheers

Fair. Not up to the level of the targets, but if you do well then you stand a good chance.
Would someone have a chance of a career in IB after taking the Bsc route of Kings college London Politics of the International economy course?
The economics modules include:
- Principles of economics
- Globalisation and international trade
- intermediate microeconomics
- intermediate macroeconomics
- mathematics and statistics for economists
- econometrics
Cass Business School: Bsc Banking & International Finance/Investment & Financial Risk Management

I have both very strong GCSEs/AS Levels (Hopefully I will A-Levels too), not a hell of a lot of experience to be fair and pretty much no finance experience (trying to sort that one out urgently).

Do you think doing that degree at Cass and let's say just managing to get a first would be good enough to get interviews/internships/analyst position in IBD at a Bulge Bracket or Boutique?

Or do I need to try and aim higher?

I feel a bit reluctant to go anywhere else since I'm only a short train journey away from Cass and I like the uniqueness of those two degrees they offer there, they seem pretty specific to what I want to do and I think I'd enjoy them more compared to straight economics. But if there's a massive difference, I might try for some higher up unis? Although, I'm not sure if I could get into them.

Help, please? No one else really seems to give much of an answer to this.
Reply 8613
I know bristol is a very reputable uni and is a great city. I've done very well academically, and current aim is to enter investment banking (like many others on here), simply because its fast paced, energetic, and something graduates get paid very well for.
So.. How good is Bristol for entering this profession, and i'm talking front office jobs? Does it even happen or is everyone from LSE and oxbridge? how much difference really will going to those places have? i have literally no clue, and would really appreciate an answer
Thanks.
Reply 8614
people seem to think only oxbridge and lse applicants can get a job in IB

they care about the individual not the uni. it just so happens that many good potential investment bankers where also good enough to get into oxbridge/LSE.

if you are good enough for IB you will get a job, provided your uni is russel group and your degree is somewhat relevant...
I'm a student at Imperial College and I know plenty from students from my university who went into banking, you don't have to go to Oxbridge, in fact London universities are a lot better, the finance societies are more developed and London finance societies have joined this global finance soceity called GIUP students, which started in consultation with student finance soceity presidents around 2 years ago.
Reply 8616
ah my friends at imperial and after his first year he's considering it. But i imperial dont offer economics, so the only likelihood of me ever going theres for a masters... thanks for the two responses so far, has anyone else got a say? anyone who's been to bristol? literally any advice wanted
Original post by Will212
ah my friends at imperial and after his first year he's considering it. But i imperial dont offer economics, so the only likelihood of me ever going theres for a masters... thanks for the two responses so far, has anyone else got a say? anyone who's been to bristol? literally any advice wanted

Bristols a great uni mate, get some good work experience and EC's etc under your belt and it should at least get you interviews.
Reply 8618
why bristol, there are other unis with their grade requirements?
Have you looked at Durham?

Latest

Trending

Trending