The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thresholdtofire
Thank you so much for your reply!
But reading from various forums I realised Queen Mary is not a target/semi-target uni..is this going to be a disadvantage?

The university brand is just one part of the assessment criteria. If you fullfill the other criteria such as 2:1, ECs, relevant societies, leadership positions, internships you have a good shot at interviews. Once you go through the interview stages you're on equal footing with all the other candidates. I wouldn't worry about what university you go to, although F/O would be fairly difficult to break into regardless.

I advise you research on roles you would be interested in joining for the SW and practice the numerical/verbal reasoning tests and make sure you have an overview of what an Investment Bank does. Also keep up to date with your commercial awareness as well as being able to justify why you've chosen to do Chemistry as oppose to Economics/Finance/Business etc..

There are no restrictions, in regards to university for IB. There are general biases because of the perception certain universities carry about the quality of their students (and generally rightly so) but that's about as far as it goes.

Good luck.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The university brand is just one part of the assessment criteria. If you fullfill the other criteria such as 2:1, ECs, relevant societies, leadership positions, internships you have a good shot at interviews. Once you go through the interview stages you're on equal footing with all the other candidates. I wouldn't worry about what university you go to, although F/O would be fairly difficult to break into regardless.

I advise you research on roles you would be interested in joining for the SW and practice the numerical/verbal reasoning tests and make sure you have an overview of what an Investment Bank does. Also keep up to date with your commercial awareness as well as being able to justify why you've chosen to do Chemistry as oppose to Economics/Finance/Business etc..

There are no restrictions, in regards to university for IB. There are general biases because of the perception certain universities carry about the quality of their students (and generally rightly so) but that's about as far as it goes.

Good luck.

Thank you! :smile:
Just wanted to know whether doing the Law and Business Studies degree at Warwick would be good enough for me to get into Investment Banking?

Or should I do an Accounting and Finance degree at Reading University instead?
Original post by butterflyy
Just wanted to know whether doing the Law and Business Studies degree at Warwick would be good enough for me to get into Investment Banking?

Warwick.

Undoubtedly the former.

Out of curiosity, what position are you in where you are deciding between two very different options?
Original post by will2348
Warwick.

I was inclined to Warwick myself but does it matter that the degree is a BA rather than a BSc? Also, there is no work placement offered with the course?
Original post by Selym95
Undoubtedly the former.

Out of curiosity, what position are you in where you are deciding between two very different options?

I have an unconditional offer from Reading which has been confirmed but I really want to go to Warwick. I visited the uni and I really loved it
I was inclined to Warwick myself but does it matter that the degree is a BA rather than a BSc? Also, there is no work placement offered with the course?

It doesn't matter. Warwick is a target university for investment banking. You will apply for First Year Spring Week and Second Year Summer Internship. Warwick will position you extremely well for these programmes.
I have an unconditional offer from Reading which has been confirmed but I really want to go to Warwick. I visited the uni and I really loved it

Sure. I guess it's just a matter of weighing up your options. You will miss out on the unconditional offer, you will have to take a gap year, you may very well be rejected in your next application - Warwick is extremely competitive across the board, and in my experience Law isn't an exception.

However, if you can't see yourself anywhere else and you think you can put forward a competitive application, go for it!
MMaths at Bath/Manchester/Birmingham?

Bath isn't a Russel group university and Manchester is supposed to be great for employment but how true is this for breaking into IB?
Should i go for Nott finance,acc and management course(AAB degree) or try for something better?I am not from UK and the adviser told me that i need to get 7.5 average at the final exam to "get a place" on that course.The thing is that i have already done my final exams and passed them with around 9.4 (9.70 math and 9.60 or 9.50 at physics) and i took a "gap year" at a local university studying engineering.Should i go for that degree or try for Financial Math at Notts or any other related degree at a better university?
EDIT:Been looking at LSE requirements for some degree and i must say that they arent as i have thought.For a A*AA-AAA they require minimum 9 and for a AAB a minimum of 8.Should i try for a AAB degree like Econ with Econ history?I havent participated to any competition that they would have heard , so my academic background is kinda bad...
Also,will it affect me that i had physics instead of economics as one of my final subjects?
(edited 9 years ago)
Classics or Philosophy from Oxford/Cambridge/UCL good enough?
Considering doing Classics with oriental studies which would allow me to learn arabic,
would these courses be able to get me into investment banking/banking? (Obviously with internships etc).
Also, what is a REALISTIC wage for someone in banking/investment banking after, say, 3 or 4 years?

cheers
Management - Bath/Reading/Exeter/Birmingham
International BUsiness - Birmingham

Still possible for IB?

Best universities you would advise for Management with IB prospects? AAA cap not including maths.

Thanks
Original post by idgentles
Management - Bath/Reading/Exeter/Birmingham
International BUsiness - Birmingham

Still possible for IB?

Best universities you would advise for Management with IB prospects? AAA cap not including maths.

Thanks

Bath

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by idgentles
okay, so hows this?

lotto picks: Management - Bath/warwick/Kings

Back ups: Business and Management - durham/exeter.

and if I dont get in, I will probably clear to cass/Nottingham as come results day they are notorious for dropping entry reqs. (mate got into IAFRM with BBC)

I'll be studying IFRM, and I saw the ****ery they pulled this clearing. Although, you can forget IB with BBC, regardless (340 Ucas cut off at HR).

Although, I'd go with Bath/Warwick/Durham/Kings/Exeter in that order.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I'll be studying IFRM, and I saw the ****ery they pulled this clearing. Although, you can forget IB with BBC, regardless (340 Ucas cut off at HR).

Although, I'd go with Bath/Warwick/Durham/Kings/Exeter in that order.

lol yeah I know 340 wont cut it. planning to get AAA minimum. im just saying in case I get no offers and cant clear to those unis, I'll clear to cass/Nottingham. Thanks for the advice you've given over the past few days, im so much more at peace with my choices now.

Apologies about the clearing thing at cass, I know it must be painful for you as must have had to work really hard for that A*A*A.

Thanks again, hope you enjoy your course!!
Classics @ oxbridge/ucl
Philosophy @ oxbridge/ucl

Likely to get in?
Original post by JustAGuyy
Classics @ oxbridge/ucl
Philosophy @ oxbridge/ucl

Likely to get in?

Yes, but you need to do more than just a degree to get in. Think societies etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348
Yes, but yiu need to do more than just a degree to get in. Think societies etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course; work experience, internships, charity work, debating etc

Latest

Trending

Trending