The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Accounting and Finance - LSE (or Warwick)
Philosophy, Politics and Economics - LSE or Oxford
Economics and Management - Oxford
Statistics, Economics and Finance - UCL
Actuarial Science - LSE

Which one of these would be the most beneficial (in terms of 'name') and actual course content to get an IB front office job; most preferably any asset management?
Any tips/inputs appreciated?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Denker812
Accounting and Finance - LSE (or Warwick)
Philosophy, Politics and Economics - LSE or Oxford
Economics and Management - Oxford
Statistics, Economics and Finance - UCL
Actuarial Science - LSE

Which one of these would be the most beneficial (in terms of 'name') and actual course content to get an IB front office job; most preferably any asset management?
Any tips/inputs appreciated?
Thank you :smile:

Oxford > LSE > Warwick/UCL - Study whatever you enjoy :smile:
I am considering this myself:
Warwick: Economics and Industrial Organisation
lSE: Economics and Government

Which one would be best for investment banking?
Original post by poonamwadhwa
I am considering this myself:
Warwick: Economics and Industrial Organisation
lSE: Economics and Government

Which one would be best for investment banking?

LSE > Warwick
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Oxford > LSE > Warwick/UCL - Study whatever you enjoy :smile:

But i have read somewhere on this forum that LSE seems to be better (due to the location bonus?)...
But i have read somewhere on this forum that LSE seems to be better (due to the location bonus?)...

If you want to go LSE, go LSE. It's not that deep.

Nothing beats Oxbridge.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
If you want to go LSE, go LSE. It's not that deep.

Original post by 96jaimin96
Nothing beats Oxbridge.

Ok thanks guys. So I get the feeling that the "head start" Oxbridge gets by its name/recognition/tradition is nearly equalled by LSE's geographical position (London, ie. the heart of the world of finance).
Original post by 96jaimin96
Nothing beats Oxbridge.

for ib lse is by far the best, not even close. this applies to anyone on here. extra currics are most essential.
Original post by welcometoib
for ib lse is by far the best, not even close. this applies to anyone on here. extra currics are most essential.

That is probably because everyone (well most people) at LSE want to become bankers, people at UCL, Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham etc. are more than happy to peruse their degrees or work in a different industry. LSE is essentially finance school and most programs are related to banking.

Either way LSE might edge out Oxbridge on this base.
Original post by welcometoib

what extra curricular activities would you say would really make me stand out to any uni?
what extra curricular activities would you say would really make me stand out to any uni?

If you have to ask that question, you should probably rethink banking.

Do something you WANT to do, and excel in it. No one is going to hand you a roadmap that gets you in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how much more you need to stand out from what you already haVe.what alevels are you doing and what gcsegrades do you have?
Original post by frigg113
Depends how much more you need to stand out from what you already haVe.what alevels are you doing and what gcsegrades do you have?

Grades aren't going to make him stand out..

Work experience, language skills, society involvement and awards will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Grades aren't going to make him stand out..

Work experience, language skills, society involvement and awards will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt say grades are going to make you stand out, though exceptional grades and university courses will (but im assuming they have alevels already). But the worse your grades are, the more you need to stand out elsewhere so

Also they were asking what will make them stand out to warwick and LSE. Simply put,grades will make you stand out then. when wanting to stand out for IB applications, then its a different matter
Original post by Princepieman
If you have to ask that question, you should probably rethink banking.

Do something you WANT to do, and excel in it. No one is going to hand you a roadmap that gets you in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt say for banking, I was just asking as a general question. Banking is one of my options and so I was just asking and that was implied when I said 'any uni'
I didnt say grades are going to make you stand out, though exceptional grades and university courses will (but im assuming they have alevels already). But the worse your grades are, the more you need to stand out elsewhere so

Also they were asking what will make them stand out to warwick and LSE. Simply put,grades will make you stand out then. when wanting to stand out for IB applications, then its a different matter

I completely agree with you. Thank you
I didnt say for banking, I was just asking as a general question. Banking is one of my options and so I was just asking and that was implied when I said 'any uni'

Yeah, I should apologise! I'm sorry! :redface:

I didn't quite catch the 'any uni' part of your post.
I completely agree with you. Thank you

In that case, what are your gcse/alevel grades so far. I could then perhaps better direct you as to how you could (or need to) make yourself stand out more elsewhere
In that case, what are your gcse/alevel grades so far. I could then perhaps better direct you as to how you could (or need to) make yourself stand out more elsewhere

Oh I am only taking my GCSE'S! I am just quite forward thinking!

Latest