The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel9998
lol what, this guy must of been trading on his own since day 1 out of the womb or something

Nah, they just applied and had a strong application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel9998
lol what, this guy must of been trading on his own since day 1 out of the womb or something

He was trading forex on a 1:200 leverage as an embryo
Original post by Princepieman
Not really. I know someone who did Music at Leeds and is an equity sales-trader at MS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but that's an anecdotal example. Clearly you will get rare cases. Pretty sure throughout the rest of the thread similar words have been echoed, i.e. saying that once you're no longer at a target, doing a degree that is 'relevant'/quantitative counts more.
Original post by yl95
Yeah but that's an anecdotal example. Clearly you will get rare cases. Pretty sure throughout the rest of the thread similar words have been echoed, i.e. saying that once you're no longer at a target, doing a degree that is 'relevant'/quantitative counts more.

True, but it depends on the individual.
True, but it depends on the individual.

Of course, but it will no doubt have some sort of a factor, large or small.
Original post by yl95
Well, it depends on whether it's a target or not.

Not really, for example on of my best mates at Warwick doing Mathematics & Economics (third best Uni for maths in UK) didn't secure a single internship this time, but i know someone at Bournemouth uni who got quite a few.

And seeing as how Warwick is such a massive target uni alongside the likes of LSE/Oxbridge, does really make you think...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Buses
Not really, for example on of my best mates at Warwick doing Mathematics & Economics (third best Uni for maths in UK) didn't secure a single internship this time, but i know someone at Bournemouth uni who got quite a few.

And seeing as how Warwick is such a massive target uni alongside the likes of LSE/Oxbridge, does really make you think...

Again, anecdotal. A few of my friends at Imperial Maths didn't get any internships but it doesn't mean that it doesn't help. They mostly got rejected after interview. After the interview stage, it doesn't really count but it definitely helps in getting interviews.
Hello guys,I'm a year 13 student (and new to TSR here :smile: ) and was wondering if any of you lot could help me decide which course was best for getting into a top IB. I have recieved offers from:Cambridge: MathematicsLSE: Mathematics and EconomicsImperial: Mathematics and Statistics for FinanceUCL : Economics with a year abroadBristol: Economics and Mathematics.I've already got an A* in Maths and also achieved another 6A's at AS-level (Further Maths (99%), Physics (94%), Economics (100%), English Literature (88%), Music (91%), History (90%). I am dropping English Lit and so will be predicted 5A*s on top of Maths. I was just wondering would IB's reject me if I don't come from a specific uni (reading on here some people seem to think that if you don't go to one of the target schools you've got a slim chance). This is because Bristol have offered me a full scholarship (of tuition fees ) for all three years of study!Would love to hear you're guys thoughts X.
Original post by ImTooSmart
Hello guys,I'm a year 13 student (and new to TSR here :smile: ) and was wondering if any of you lot could help me decide which course was best for getting into a top IB. I have recieved offers from:Cambridge: MathematicsLSE: Mathematics and EconomicsImperial: Mathematics and Statistics for FinanceUCL : Economics with a year abroadBristol: Economics and Mathematics.I've already got an A* in Maths and also achieved another 6A's at AS-level (Further Maths (99%), Physics (94%), Economics (100%), English Literature (88%), Music (91%), History (90%). I am dropping English Lit and so will be predicted 5A*s on top of Maths. I was just wondering would IB's reject me if I don't come from a specific uni (reading on here some people seem to think that if you don't go to one of the target schools you've got a slim chance). This is because Bristol have offered me a full scholarship (of tuition fees ) for all three years of study!Would love to hear you're guys thoughts X.

Are you an international student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on all the offers and great grades! But you should probably choose the other universities over Bristol since Bristol is only a semi target and not a target. I guess there is the possibility that banks will be impressed by someone who got a full scholarship to study at a Russell group university, but LSE or UCL is probably the best choice (Cambridge is better ranked but their maths course is incredibly hard and fewer people manage to get a first/2:1 than LSE or the other unis) as they are both targets.

Tbh, banks won't care whether you go to Cambridge or LSE or UCL because they are all targets- but LSE and UCL tend to have easier exams than Cambridge and the workload is less, allowing you to take part in more activities and societies, which are incredibly important when applying to investment banking internships.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Well done on all the offers and great grades! But you should probably choose the other universities over Bristol since Bristol is only a semi target and not a target. I guess there is the possibility that banks will be impressed by someone who got a full scholarship to study at a Russell group university, but LSE or UCL is probably the best choice (Cambridge is better ranked but their maths course is incredibly hard and fewer people manage to get a first/2:1 than LSE or the other unis) as they are both targets.

Tbh, banks won't care whether you go to Cambridge or LSE or UCL because they are all targets- but LSE and UCL tend to have easier exams than Cambridge and the workload is less, allowing you to take part in more activities and societies, which are incredibly important when applying to investment banking internships.

I'd go against this if they're an international student. The scholarship at Bristol would be worth £40-60k in total and as it's still a semi-target the OP still has a solid chance at landing an IB gig.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you an international student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No man. I go to a state school and just really enjoy studying Maths and learning more about the society way we live. I come from a relatively poor background but my school has really helped me. I am really tempted by Bristol as my family won't have to help fund me and I could maybe get a job on the side to help fund other uni costs.
No man. I go to a state school and just really enjoy studying Maths and learning more about the society way we live. I come from a relatively poor background but my school has really helped me. I am really tempted by Bristol as my family won't have to help fund me and I could maybe get a job on the side to help fund other uni costs.

believe me if you think you can hack cambridge, go there. it's a really strong brand name in the professional world.
Original post by gr8wizard10
believe me if you think you can hack cambridge, go there. it's a really strong brand name in the professional world.

Hey man,

Yep I think I'm gonna go for it mate! Should be able to make the offer but if not I will probably do Imperial's course

I'd go for Cambridge and then put Bristol as an insurance.
Hey man,

Yep I think I'm gonna go for it mate! Should be able to make the offer but if not I will probably do Imperial's course

Firm Cambridge and insure ICL/LSE. You got 5 offers from some of the best unis in the country (and world) so I'm sure you will have no issues with meeting their offers and doing well in your degree.

ICL gives very generous grants to any students whose parents earn <£60k per year
Hey guys,

I am going to Firm Warwick and turn down LSE for Bsc Economics, for several reasons including me liking a campusy atmosphere and me not being a fan fan of London Universities, also the expenses of London.

But I was wondering if not being in London gives you any kind of major disadvantage if you want to go into finance, I know both Warwick and LSE have very strong brand names in finance but is the location going to be a deal breaker?

I spoke to a MD recently and he said it should not make a difference since finance firms hire from both of them very heavily. But what do you guys think? I apologise if this is a stupid question because I am new to the Finance scene and I recently discovered that I will most likely be going into IB.

Thank you!
Original post by Fudgefighter
Hey guys,

I am going to Firm Warwick and turn down LSE for Bsc Economics, for several reasons including me liking a campusy atmosphere and me not being a fan fan of London Universities, also the expenses of London.

But I was wondering if not being in London gives you any kind of major disadvantage if you want to go into finance, I know both Warwick and LSE have very strong brand names in finance but is the location going to be a deal breaker?

I spoke to a MD recently and he said it should not make a difference since finance firms hire from both of them very heavily. But what do you guys think? I apologise if this is a stupid question because I am new to the Finance scene and I recently discovered that I will most likely be going into IB.

Thank you!

Lol, the MD already told you what we'd tell you. Hell, it's even more credible coming from him.

P.S. Warwick had the most campus visits/presentations/networking sessions from employers (120 something over the year) out of all the target unis this past year. There is literally 0 disadvantage going there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, the MD already told you what we'd tell you. Hell, it's even more credible coming from him.

P.S. Warwick had the most campus visits/presentations/networking sessions from employers (120 something over the year) out of all the target unis this past year. There is literally 0 disadvantage going there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man! And tbh I just wanted more opinions and I thought this thread would be the one to ask.

And yes my cousins were telling me about some of the events/presentations/visits they had and how good and supportive their Finance Soc is, and they recently secured a deal with some huge hedge fund apparently.
Original post by Fudgefighter
Hey guys,

Thank you!

Won't make a difference at all just like the MD pointed out mate.

Also WFS have events every week in London anyway and Warwick to London is just a 50 minute train journey, so you won't be missing out on much if anything.

Latest