The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Kentish Man
Well it was CV and short application form. Was not too bad. Then JPM, MS, GS and CS usually interview. Barcap does a phone interview and UBS, DB, CG don't interview but they only do 2/3 day programmes.

i believe MS was phone interview aswell?

@ Barzani

yes i was referring to the spring programme. Some people in our year attended 2/3 programmes, but they ended up cocking up their exams (our exams started at the end of april, so they basically had no time to revise).
Barzini
Dont be mad Kentish Man, I have the stats from campus recruitment from Barcap during the week. they wont lie to 33 spring interns in front of 2 MDs and the head of HR in the same room, putting it up on a powerpoint with the barcap name.., all during a week when we even met the CEO of the company.

Here anything over 75 is considered in general pretty exceptional. Hitting 80% makes ur probably in the top 3-5 in the whole dept, which is going thru the roof, esp since its 2-3rd best econ programme in the country..

OK thats alright then. If only my British Economic History module hadn't pulled me down.

Its quite weird how first year results matter more than second year, for getting into IB that is.
ba_ba1
i believe MS was phone interview aswell?

@ Barzani

yes i was referring to the spring programme. Some people in our year attended 2/3 programmes, but they ended up cocking up their exams (our exams started at the end of april, so they basically had no time to revise).

Yeah MS was phone interview this year but its usually face to face.
I did two week long programmes and had loads of time to revise. Our exams weren't until mid to late may.
Reply 163
Kentish Man
OK thats alright then. If only my British Economic History module hadn't pulled me down.

Its quite weird how first year results matter more than second year, for getting into IB that is.

i guess they all matter equally really. First year results will get you a good predicted grade and help you secure an internship in your 2nd year. "nd year results are also important since they they make up a large portion of the degree (at least for us they do) and help you secure a grad job. 3rd year results, well you obviously have to get the 2:1 so you can be accepted on the grad programe.

But i agree, people under rate the importance of first year results. It may not count much towards your final degree mark, but i assume it plays a fairly important role in securing an internship . If you don't get an internship then your life becomes alot harder.
Reply 164
Kentish Man

Yea, here the first year doesnt count towards your final degree, but its the most important - youve gotta get a 2:1+ or else ur pretty much screwed lol. i think its the most important out of all the years, esp for IB. Dont worry abt the Econ history module...its almost impossible to find a person who hasnt screwed up at least one module. Almost everyone here has done so for 1 or more..

what percent of first years get 1sts durham?
Reply 165
ba_ba1
i guess they all matter equally really. First year results will get you a good predicted grade and help you secure an internship in your 2nd year. "nd year results are also important since they they make up a large portion of the degree (at least for us they do) and help you secure a grad job. 3rd year results, well you obviously have to get the 2:1 so you can be accepted on the grad programe.

But i agree, people under rate the importance of first year results. It may not count much towards your final degree mark, but i assume it plays a fairly important role in securing an internship . If you don't get an internship then your life becomes alot harder.

I met a lady from goldman (IBD) who did industrial over here, graduated 3 years...she did an internship at goldman and they gave a her the job conditional to just PASSING her degree lol. having a req. of a 2:2 or 3rd is not uncommon in fact from what she said.
Reply 166
Barzini
Yea, here the first year doesnt count towards your final degree, but its the most important - youve gotta get a 2:1+ or else ur pretty much screwed lol. i think its the most important out of all the years, esp for IB. Dont worry abt the Econ history module...its almost impossible to find a person who hasnt screwed up at least one module. Almost everyone here has done so for 1 or more..

just wondering, do banks see out first year marks? or would it just be the final grade? or predicted grade?
Reply 167
Predicted during the 2nd year (when u apply for internships) is the 1st year mark...
Reply 168
Barzini
I met a lady from goldman (IBD) who did industrial over here, graduated 3 years...she did an internship at goldman and they gave a her the job conditional to just PASSING her degree lol. having a req. of a 2:2 or 3rd is not uncommon in fact from what she said.

wow, ive heard goldman are one of the banks which are more leniant on grade requirements, which is quite surprising considering its goldman! A couple in our year from straight econ have offers for Goldmans internship next year because they impressed at the Spring programme. One of them, literally knows nothing about banking, she only applied because her mum said so!
Barzini

No idea. I have spoken to one other guy with a first.

It is so annoying though because it was a pointless module which interested no-one but we had to take it. It was so far below the rest of my modules that it alone, dropped me about 5% I think.
ba_ba1
just wondering, do banks see out first year marks? or would it just be the final grade? or predicted grade?

I think most ask you to put all your module scores on the application form.
Reply 171
same we have a module (1/5th of the whole year) World Economy history & theory. i personally loved the contents of the module...but its just quite unpopular since most people at warwick are just banking oriented. I crammed 4 topics (we had to write 4 essays for the exam) over 3 days from scratch and it went decently well...the crap thing is we dont even know how the people assess the essays.
Reply 172
ba_ba1
One of them, literally knows nothing about banking, she only applied because her mum said so!

Yea i know...its kinda crazy...nothing at ALL against women, or that girl in particular (she might be more deserving than all the interns) but it just reminds me of the fact is that banks are desperate to get some semblance of gender equality in them...they sometimes take the risk and take women who they think might have some potential, and sideline guys who might know more about banking at the start. It can be very annoying if u are a guy lol.
maybe she was attractive and they wanted to see more of her :biggrin:
Reply 174
supernova2
maybe she was attractive and they wanted to see more of her :biggrin:

lol thats quite possible. one of my friends in NY got into because she was damn hot lol...she modeled for prada before during uni there, i felt so sorry for all those harvard guys who didnt get thru despite being brainiacs lol.
Reply 175
Acc&Fin from LSE vs Warwic Eco for IB?

And how is Kings Business Management for IB as a last resort?
T_Bag

1. Both fine. I'd probably give an edge to Eco at Warwick.

2. You can probably still make it but it won't be easy. I haven't met anybody at the banks i've been at so far from Kings but it is a target school for a couple of banks.
Barzini
same we have a module (1/5th of the whole year) World Economy history & theory. i personally loved the contents of the module...but its just quite unpopular since most people at warwick are just banking oriented. I crammed 4 topics (we had to write 4 essays for the exam) over 3 days from scratch and it went decently well...the crap thing is we dont even know how the people assess the essays.

I crammed and it didn't work out so well for me. 53 in British Economy. Hopefully with the modules I pick next year, I'll never have to write an essay again. :smile:
Reply 178
Kentish Man
1. Both fine. I'd probably give an edge to Eco at Warwick.

2. You can probably still make it but it won't be easy. I haven't met anybody at the banks i've been at so far from Kings but it is a target school for a couple of banks.

Ahh thanks :smile:

Btw, from Kings, what is the most proIB degree related to finance etc thus barring engineering, comp sci etc. And aiming for front office with a 1st from Kings is being quite ambitious i assume?
Reply 179
T_Bag

I would've chosen LSE...purely because of its huge int'l rep, if I had the option (applied to LSE in the first place..)

On the flipside Econ here is excellent. It all depends on if you'd like to live in london or in a quieter, but have a campus life (which is also less internally less competitive and chilled out).

Kings is in london, so it might not be as bad...although as a uni, it will be very tough to break thru into banking with it, considering its not a target uni. u might need to do a masters at LSE/Oxbridge to have a chance after.

Latest

Trending

Trending