The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread

This poll is closed

Manchester L102 or Nottingham Industrial Economics

Manchester Economics L10230%
Nottingham Industrial Economics70%
Total votes: 10
I spoke to some students and teachers at Nottingham University and they told me that doing Industrial Economics could get me an internship and hopefully later on a job in an investment bank in most probably middle office.

Is this a lie or shoud i stick to Manchester Economics (L102)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i had this exact same decision to make but as my 2nd insurance choice...i picked manchester...

(as my second choice)...but didnt end up there anyway
Reply 2
i would surely prefer Nottingham Industrial Economics
Reply 3
Nottingham is generally more respected for economics than Manchester. However, the course at Manchester (which requires A-Level Maths) is obviously going to be more mathematical in comparison to the BA at Nottingham. L102 is therefore perhaps more suited for a career in IB.

An undergraduate in Industrial Econ at Notts (john_williams) told me that a number of people in the 2nd and 3rd years have successfully secured internships, but I don't think he mentioned any IBs. It may very well be the same case with Manchester tough. It's a tricky one- I would go with the course structure that you prefer and equally the university that you believe you can make the most of.

Out of curiousity - what is the difference between L102 and L100 at Manchester?
Reply 4
I know 5 people on ind econ who have grad positions front office within IB, there maybe a couple more. The majority though do head for grad schemes in the big 4.
Reply 5
Basically..do you enjoy maths or not?

industrial economics course at notts is basically very braod and you can pick out of a range of different modules...like a very very big range...
manchester L102 is supposed to be very maths based..(even though its absolutely nothing compared to ucL..besides the point here though)
but

i'd say...if you enjoy maths...go for manchester...if not go for nottingham...

and also remember... industrial econ is in the business school not the econ dept..so you wont be able to change courses when you get there...

ask nottingham about international econ...thats also a well respected course and you can sometimes change to straight econ after your first year

good luck!
The following is an extract from the Financial Computing page on Brunel Uni's website
Financial services are of key importance to the UK economy and London is a leading financial centre. For instance, on a typical day in London, there is a turnover of 500 billion in foreign exchange dealings alone. The sector employs around 400,000 people in the City of London and over one million in the UK as a whole. You could be one of these people. On successful completion of this course, you will have all the relevant computing and information technology skills necessary for a career in investment banking, economics or corporate finance.

Brunel is 50th in the TimesOnline league, which leads me to beleive that this information is presented in a "best case scenario" fashion, where hardly any of their grads end up in IB.
Reply 7
How many times does the same information have to be repeated in this forum for these people to understand it?
Im really pissed off now. First Loughborough and now this? ****ing hell
Reply 9
Dont get angry, ignorance is expected.
stubo
How many times does the same information have to be repeated in this forum for these people to understand it?

I've never asked, and noone have ever said anything, about Brunel's Financial Computing course.

DaveDaveDave
Im really pissed off now. First Loughborough and now this? ****ing hell

If you've got nothing positive to say, then shut up. I asked if you thought it was true or false that Financial Computing at Brunel can lead to a career in IB, not if you're pissed off or not.

This is a forum where people ask others for advice afterall, so don't expect everyone to know everything you know / think you know.
Reply 11
I think it depends on your definition of the word can.... Yes, I'd imagine it is possible but it is extremely unlikely
yes this has been answered many times before but using different exp unis from same kind of ratings bracket. if your a "exceptional" candidate you have a small chance, but you have a better chance of getting interviews at top places if you go to lse/oxbridge..there u go the standard reply!
Reply 13
Read what it says :

On successful completion of this course, you will have all the relevant computing and information technology skills necessary for a career in investment banking, economics or corporate finance.

You will have the skills for a career in investment banking, economics or corporate finance; it never says you will get the job in the first place :wink:
Reply 14
Also, it doesn't stipulate which office. For all you know they may be referring to back office operations, which is possible with a degree from Brunel.
Reply 15
diMo

If you've got nothing positive to say, then shut up. I asked if you thought it was true or false that Financial Computing at Brunel can lead to a career in IB, not if you're pissed off or not.

This is a forum where people ask others for advice afterall, so don't expect everyone to know everything you know / think you know.

hahaha, Nice reply.

Like the others have said, it is possible, but its not definite. Same for every where else, but some have more chance of getting in than others.
Stubo
lolzrofllolzhahaha im a 6th form duffer. is imperial better than hometon init? i dnt care about consturcting arguemnt coz i iz gon to hometon init. i am d best. bye :biggrin: rofl i dnt care wot ne1 tinks init. lol

/sarcasm.

On your own.
Reply 17
Dimez
Also, it doesn't stipulate which office. For all you know they may be referring to back office operations, which is possible with a degree from Brunel.

I agree. Marketing.
Reply 18
In the Brunel prospectus I remember reading that many of their graduates in economics and other financial degrees go on to work at top banks. they named the banks, I can't remember which ones but they were definately top ones.
Reply 19
Ok this is a weird question because I dont know if a lot of you have any knowledge about Australian Universities but I'll ask anyway :tongue:

Basically right now I am studying engineering at the university of sydney and may possibly have a chance to transfer to Imperial college in October. From an IB career perspective, what would be more financially rewarding, studying at Imperial and getting an IB job in the UK or studying at U.Sydney and getting a job in Sydney. I've tried searching around the net for some Australian students forum but couldn't find anything, and couldn't really find much about starting salaries of sydney graduate students. Also as I mentioned before I am doing an engineering degree, and I'm not sure if an eng. degree from an australian university will be looked upon as highly as an eng. degree from imperial in the IB sector.

Also, I know its obvious that the Australian market is no where as big as the British market, so it would seem that working in banking in the UK will be more beneficial, but I just want to confirm all this so that I don't back in 3 years time and feel like an idiot for not asking.

Australia's a great place to live in, but I would really like to get a top quality education if I can and just wanted to know if it would be the right move to study at Imperial. I guess I would always have an option to get a job in the UK and if i want request for a transfer to Australia if I want.

If there is anyone who has a broad knowledge of Investment Banking around the world and could help me with this I would be greatful.

Thx for reading this.

btw I would be an international student in both places incase that matters when being considered for a job.