The Student Room Group
Don't most med schools want you to start the injections when you start the actual course? It is not a preliminary requirement is t?
Reply 2
Most GP's will not pay for you to have the Hep B vaccination for example, unless you definitely have a place on the course.

Some GP's will let you have it if you pay for it yourselves (about £100).

EVERY university will have an occupational health department which will give you any jabs you need FOR FREE when you start at uni. I suggest do this. As long as you have them done by Phase 2 when you have placements then it will be fine.
Reply 3
snail_87
Most GP's will not pay for you to have the Hep B vaccination for example, unless you definitely have a place on the course.

Some GP's will let you have it if you pay for it yourselves (about £100).

EVERY university will have an occupational health department which will give you any jabs you need FOR FREE when you start at uni. I suggest do this. As long as you have them done by Phase 2 when you have placements then it will be fine.

Oh, okay, awesome! Thanks for your help :smile:
its a series of three injections for hep B, and a blood test to test how you have taken up the immunity. some people have to keep going through it again and again because they just dont take well to it. so i wouldnt worry too much about getting it done, as you will need occupational health clearance and that is part of it.
Reply 5
At minimum you will have to have a blood test to prove you do not already have hep B or C before you start the course though. Also, some schools DO have requirements for imms and offers have been withdrawn in the past for failure to meet their deadlines...
Fluffy
At minimum you will have to have a blood test to prove you do not already have hep B or C before you start the course though. Also, some schools DO have requirements for imms and offers have been withdrawn in the past for failure to meet their deadlines...

Indeed. Some medical schools with early clinical contact will insist on the injection course being completed before you start. My medical school has, in the past, withdrawn offers if you haven't completed at least 2 injections by the time that you start.
Reply 7
I had my hep B done before i applied to med school as a school leaver because i planned to go to unis that had early patient exposure. My GP did it for free as well. It was really protection for myself. My uni at the beginning of the yr recommended it for gd measure.
Reply 8
Policy on Heb B vaccinations changed this year. Basically now medical schools own occupational health departments are either a.) supposed to do it themselves or b.) supposed to pay the £80-110 cost of it on your behalf.

At no point should you be giving your GP money to pay for those vaccinations, the medical school should be doing it. On the same note, according to policy your GP shouldn't really be doing it for you for free because that means your GPs occupational health is covering the costs but you arent going to work for them, which is quite cheeky.

Sadly medical schools are also being cheeky, still telling students to get the vaccinations done by their GPs and telling students they may have to pay. But don't worry, even if your school says this (mine did) and you turn up without the vaccination they won't mind. They'll do it for you. Now i'm laughing at all the students who paid practically a months spending money, or 3 text books, or 50 pints of beer getting vaccinations they could of had for free.
Reply 9
Do you have a link to the policy document stating medical schools should be paying?
Reply 10
I think you can do a quick course of injections over 21 days if you have to. Probably isn't as effective though.
zermatt
I think you can do a quick course of injections over 21 days if you have to. Probably isn't as effective though.

The council of heads of medical schools (CHMS) have stated that the accelarated course is not acceptable for medical applicants, as the required levels of protection are unlikely to be achieved.
OP, where are you actually applying to, as this has some bearing on whether or not you need to be starting the course of injections or not. I know that Peninsula and Manchester don't require you to have them completed upon starting the course, others I'm not so sure of, but there are other people on here who can tell you the policies of their schools.
airtones
Policy on Heb B vaccinations changed this year. Basically now medical schools own occupational health departments are either a.) supposed to do it themselves or b.) supposed to pay the £80-110 cost of it on your behalf.

At no point should you be giving your GP money to pay for those vaccinations, the medical school should be doing it. On the same note, according to policy your GP shouldn't really be doing it for you for free because that means your GPs occupational health is covering the costs but you arent going to work for them, which is quite cheeky.

Sadly medical schools are also being cheeky, still telling students to get the vaccinations done by their GPs and telling students they may have to pay. But don't worry, even if your school says this (mine did) and you turn up without the vaccination they won't mind. They'll do it for you. Now i'm laughing at all the students who paid practically a months spending money, or 3 text books, or 50 pints of beer getting vaccinations they could of had for free.

I'd be slightly raging if I took your advice and ended up having my offer withdrawn for not having started the injection course by the start of term (which can and does happen).

OP - different schools have different policies. If you want to go ahead and do it, then do by all means. Personally, I'd just wait until you start getting offers - at which point the med school will fill you in on what they expect.

Latest

Trending

Trending