The Student Room Group

looking into universitiy courses? Please help me with a few questions

I would be very thankful to anyone who will spend a couple of minutes filling out my questionnaire for research for part of my course at university.

Are you male or female?(M/F)

How old are you? (years)

Are you planning on going to university? (yes/no)

Are you going to take a gap year? (yes/no)

Is the gap year going to involve volunteering work abroad? (yes/no)

How have you narrowed down the choice of universities? say all that apply and which is most important
league tables;
reputation;
open days;
course;
other;

where did you find helpful information on universities and courses? (yes to all that apply)
the student room;
ucas;
times university guide;
guardian university guide;
teachers;
other(please state);

which did you find most useful?

did you find it difficult to find enough information?

Are you thinking of doing an engineering degree?(yes/no)

If you are not going into engineering why? (say yes to all that apply)
Do not know enough about it;
Doesn’t interest me;
It’s too hard;
Poor pay;
Other (please state);

For each of the following say if it would make you more interested in looking into engineering (yes/no)

If you knew that on average a chartered engineer earns £51,500 and graduates starting off at £22,750.

Engineering degrees are highly sort after not just by engineering companies but also finance, investment banking and law firms.

Engineering degrees are very broad with topics in business, maths, physics, design, electronics and materials.

Many engineers have a creative/ lateral thinking brain.

There is a strong need for engineers which means you shouldn’t find it difficult to find a job after graduating.

Some businesses will sponsor engineering students for £4,000 which will also guarantee you a job at the end of your degree.

There are many opportunities to travel around the world as part of your job if you are looking to travel.

Do you feel that you know enough about engineering? (yes/no)

If you are planning on studying engineering;

Would you have found it beneficial to have a source that gathered all the information that you could need relating to the course?
I.e. current student perspectives of engineering courses around the UK, their reputation, information of bursaries information on the different types of engineering and job opportunities (yes/no)

What information have you found hard to find/couldn’t find? I.e. unbiased views of engineering departments ect.
Reply 1
I would be very thankful to anyone who will spend a couple of minutes filling out my questionnaire for research for part of my course at university.

Are you male or female?(M/F)

How old are you? (years)

Is the gap year going to involve volunteering work abroad? (yes/no)

How have you narrowed down the choice of universities? say all that apply and which is most important
league tables;
reputation;
open days;
course;
other;

where did you find helpful information on universities and courses? (yes to all that apply)
the student room;
ucas;
times university guide;
guardian university guide;
teachers;
other(please state);

Doesn’t interest me;
It’s too hard;
Poor pay;
Other (please state);

For each of the following say if it would make you more interested in looking into engineering (yes/no)

If you knew that on average a chartered engineer earns £51,500 and graduates starting off at £22,750.

Engineering degrees are highly sort after not just by engineering companies but also finance, investment banking and law firms.

Engineering degrees are very broad with topics in business, maths, physics, design, electronics and materials.

Many engineers have a creative/ lateral thinking brain.

There is a strong need for engineers which means you shouldn’t find it difficult to find a job after graduating.

Some businesses will sponsor engineering students for £4,000 which will also guarantee you a job at the end of your degree.

There are many opportunities to travel around the world as part of your job if you are looking to travel.

Would you have found it beneficial to have a source that gathered all the information that you could need relating to the course?
I.e. current student perspectives of engineering courses around the UK, their reputation, information of bursaries information on the different types of engineering and job opportunities (yes/no)

What information have you found hard to find/couldn’t find? I.e. unbiased views of engineering departments ect.

Thank you for your time
Reply 2
I am needing to carry out some research as part of my Engineering degree, if you could answer these few questions it would be great. If your course has not started yet please answer just the questions that apply.

What spine of engineering are you studying/planning on going into (say yes to all that apply)?
Mechanical;
Civil;
Electrical;

What year are you in?

Will you stay in the engineering field after you graduate?(yes/no)

If you’re not going to stay in engineering for a career what are you planning on doing?

If you are not going into engineering, why not?
Not paid well enough
Not interested in engineering
other

Why did you choose engineering?
Job prospects;
Wage;
Interested in subject;
Other (please state);

How did you choose which university to go to?
League table;
Reputation;
Open day;
Bursaries;
Course;
Social life;
Other (please state);

How has your course compared to the open day?
Didn’t go to one
Very similar
Similar
Different
Very different

Did you feel there is a lack of information on engineering when choosing which university or course to go to? (yes/no)

Would you find have found it beneficial there was a dedicated website with extra information on university’s and courses relating to engineering, showing student a better comparison on the options available? (yes/no)

Would you find have found it useful if there was a website with extra information on gap years relating to engineering, internships, bursaries ? (yes/no)

Would you find it helpful if there was a website that you could use to find extra worked examples relating to your course? (yes/no)

Did you know you could download other software like autodesk inventor and visual studio which would usually add up to several thousand pounds for free while you are a student?(yes/no)

Are you thinking of doing a summer placement/internship? (yes/no)

Would you find it beneficial if there was a website that you could find extra worked examples relating to your course?

thank you for your time
Reply 3
What spine of engineering are you studying? Chemical

What year are you in? Second

Will you stay in the engineering field after you graduate?(yes/no) Definitely yes

If you’re not going to stay in engineering for a career what are you planning on doing? N/A

Why did you choose engineering? Job prospects and Interest in subject

How did you choose which university to go to? Course structure

How has your course compared to the open day? Similar

Did you feel there is a lack of information on engineering when choosing which university or course to go to? No

Would you find have found it beneficial there was a dedicated website with extra information on university’s and courses relating to engineering, showing student a better comparison on the options available? Yes

Would you find have found it useful if there was a website with extra information on gap years relating to engineering, internships, bursaries ? Already exist

Would you find it helpful if there was a website that you could use to find extra worked examples relating to your course? Yes

Did you know you could download other software like autodesk inventor and visual studio which would usually add up to several thousand pounds for free while you are a student? No

Are you thinking of doing a summer placement/internship? Yes

thank you for your time- Welcome
Reply 4

Are you male or female?(M/F) Female

How old are you? (years) 16

Are you planning on going to university? (yes/no)

Is the gap year going to involve volunteering work abroad? (yes/no) n/a

How have you narrowed down the choice of universities? say all that apply and which is most important reputation;
open days;
course;

the student room;
ucas;

both equally useful. the student room for knowing about application process & ucas for which universities offer the course I want to do

no

Doesn’t interest me;
It’s too hard;

Other (please state); struggle with maths and not too good at physics either

If you knew that on average a chartered engineer earns £51,500 and graduates starting off at £22,750. no

Engineering degrees are highly sort after not just by engineering companies but also finance, investment banking and law firms. no

Engineering degrees are very broad with topics in business, maths, physics, design, electronics and materials. no

Many engineers have a creative/ lateral thinking brain. no
There is a strong need for engineers which means you shouldn’t find it difficult to find a job after graduating. no

Some businesses will sponsor engineering students for £4,000 which will also guarantee you a job at the end of your degree. no

There are many opportunities to travel around the world as part of your job if you are looking to travel. no

Reply 5
Are you male or female?F

How old are you? 17

Are you planning on going to university? yes

Are you going to take a gap year? no

Is the gap year going to involve volunteering work abroad? --

the student room; yes
ucas; yes
times university guide; yes
guardian university guide; yes
teachers;
other(please state);

which did you find most useful? ucas

did you find it difficult to find enough information? no

Are you thinking of doing an engineering degree? no

If you are not going into engineering why?
Do not know enough about it; yes
Doesn’t interest me; yes
It’s too hard; yes
Poor pay; no
Other (please state); don't like physics

If you knew that on average a chartered engineer earns £51,500 and graduates starting off at £22,750. no

Engineering degrees are highly sort after not just by engineering companies but also finance, investment banking and law firms. no

Engineering degrees are very broad with topics in business, maths, physics, design, electronics and materials. no

Many engineers have a creative/ lateral thinking brain. no

There is a strong need for engineers which means you shouldn’t find it difficult to find a job after graduating. yes

Some businesses will sponsor engineering students for £4,000 which will also guarantee you a job at the end of your degree. yes

There are many opportunities to travel around the world as part of your job if you are looking to travel. yes

Do you feel that you know enough about engineering? no

Reply 6
What course and university is this for?

What spine of engineering are you studying/planning on going into (say yes to all that apply)?
CIVIL

What year are you in? THIRD

Will you stay in the engineering field after you graduate?(yes/no) YES

INTERESTED IN SUBJECT

League table;
Reputation;
Open day;

Similar

Did you feel there is a lack of information on engineering when choosing which university or course to go to? YES

Would you find have found it beneficial there was a dedicated website with extra information on university’s and courses relating to engineering, showing student a better comparison on the options available? YES, BUT I THINK IT WOULD DO LITTLE TO HELP. LEAGUE TABLES ARE LEAGUE TABLES. THEY ARE RUBBISH

Would you find have found it useful if there was a website with extra information on gap years relating to engineering, internships, bursaries ? (yes/no) YES

Would you find it helpful if there was a website that you could use to find extra worked examples relating to your course? (yes/no) YES

Did you know you could download other software like autodesk inventor and visual studio which would usually add up to several thousand pounds for free while you are a student?(yes/no) YES

Are you thinking of doing a summer placement/internship? (yes/no) YES

Would you find it beneficial if there was a website that you could find extra worked examples relating to your course? YES
Reply 7
Shakey Jake
I am needing to carry out some research as part of my Engineering degree, if you could answer these few questions it would be great. If your course has not started yet please answer just the questions that apply.

Mechanical;
Civil;
Electrical;

What year are you in? 2nd

Will you stay in the engineering field after you graduate?(yes/no) Yes

If you’re not going to stay in engineering for a career what are you planning on doing?

Not paid well enough
other

Job prospects;
Wage;
Interested in subject;
Other (please state);

League table;
Open day;
Bursaries;
Course;
Social life;
Other (please state);

Didn’t go to one
Very similar
Similar
Different
Very different

Did you feel there is a lack of information on engineering when choosing which university or course to go to? (yes/no) Yes

Would you find have found it beneficial there was a dedicated website with extra information on university’s and courses relating to engineering, showing student a better comparison on the options available? (yes/no) Yes

Would you find have found it useful if there was a website with extra information on gap years relating to engineering, internships, bursaries ? (yes/no)

Would you find it helpful if there was a website that you could use to find extra worked examples relating to your course? (yes/no)

Did you know you could download other software like autodesk inventor and visual studio which would usually add up to several thousand pounds for free while you are a student?(yes/no)

Are you thinking of doing a summer placement/internship? (yes/no)

Would you find it beneficial if there was a website that you could find extra worked examples relating to your course?
Yes

thank you for your time

i've emboldened everything in the quote.. Good luck!
Mechanical;
Civil;
Electrical;
Aeronautical; yes

What year are you in? 1st

Will you stay in the engineering field after you graduate?(yes/no) yes

Not paid well enough
other

Job prospects; yes
Wage; yes
Interested in subject; yes
Other (please state);

League table;
Reputation; yes
Open day;
Bursaries;
Course; yes
Social life; yes
Other (please state); accreditation by those in the industry

Didn’t go to one
Very similar
Similar yes
Different
Very different

Did you feel there is a lack of information on engineering when choosing which university or course to go to? (yes/no) yes

Would you find have found it beneficial there was a dedicated website with extra information on university’s and courses relating to engineering, showing student a better comparison on the options available? (yes/no) yes

Would you find have found it useful if there was a website with extra information on gap years relating to engineering, internships, bursaries ? (yes/no) no

Would you find it helpful if there was a website that you could use to find extra worked examples relating to your course? (yes/no) no

Did you know you could download other software like autodesk inventor and visual studio which would usually add up to several thousand pounds for free while you are a student?(yes/no) no

Are you thinking of doing a summer placement/internship? (yes/no) no

Would you find it beneficial if there was a website that you could find extra worked examples relating to your course? no

Latest

Trending

Trending