The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How did people draw the syndiotactic structure?
Reply 41
Got a good thread going guys....by the sounds of it most people here found it quite a tough paper on the whole.....if this is the case, well then OCR will have to lower the grade boundries for that paper.

Btw, the question about azo dyes, it said something like, describe how an azo-dye is formed using phenol and amine....in your answer include any fucntional groups, conditions, ect.

Would it be correct to talk about the reduction of benzene to phenylamine using tin and conc. hcl, then going on from there? How else do you get phelyamine, as it said use an amine and phenol? does that mean you have to react them together?
And the fucntional groups part of the qu....which ones do you mention?
Anyone think they got full marks for that qu...
theicon
And the fucntional groups part of the qu....which ones do you mention?

I didnt have a clue about wat functional groups to mention! Their arent many!
El Stevo
the very part of the last question... a triplet between 1.2 and 1.4 with area 1, though i am not sure the area needed to be specified...

Yeah with just 1 peak (for the very last question).
theicon
Got a good thread going guys....by the sounds of it most people here found it quite a tough paper on the whole.....if this is the case, well then OCR will have to lower the grade boundries for that paper.
The last few years you had to get about 79/90 to get an A.

But this was the year for which they had a new chief examiner or something, hence you may have noticed the paper was very different (eg much less AS chains and rings and more A2 theoretical content).

My chem teacher, who is a chief examiner and writes the Trends and Patterns A2 paper said that this year the questions and marking should be fairer - and I think it was, and the grade boundaries should be close (UMS should be close to raw marks).

What really annoyed me was they sometimes gave you too much information. For example, in the first question they asked something about naming reagents and conditions for the nitration of benzene, which I answered partly by giving the equation which generates the NO2 electrophile. But then it proceeded to give us the equation anyway, which was strange.
Reply 45
that chem paper was THE hardest paper!! soo much worse than the past papers dont you think? i could not do the NMR at all or that number of electrons in benzene and intermediate....i put 6 and 5. why were there sooo many essay questions and nothing on acyl chlorides?! oh well....its OVER! :smile: jus have to wait for the results now.....
endeavour

But this was the year for which they had a new chief examiner or something, hence you may have noticed the paper was very different (eg much less AS chains and rings and more A2 theoretical content).

My chem teacher, who is a chief examiner and writes the Trends and Patterns A2 paper said that this year the questions and marking should be fairer - and I think it was, and the grade boundaries should be close (UMS should be close to raw marks).

What really annoyed me was they sometimes gave you too much information. For example, in the first question they asked something about naming reagents and conditions for the nitration of benzene, which I answered partly by giving the equation which generates the NO2 electrophile. But then it proceeded to give us the equation anyway, which was strange.

I knew quite alot about the nitration and they told us most stuff! I felt it was unfair then to give us a question of deducing the electrons. I left that blank. It seems easy now!

Will the paper have a high grade boundary or a low?
mwah xx
that chem paper was THE hardest paper!! soo much worse than the past papers dont you think? i could not do the NMR at all or that number of electrons in benzene and intermediate....i put 6 and 5. why were there sooo many essay questions and nothing on acyl chlorides?! oh well....its OVER! :smile: jus have to wait for the results now.....

Yeah I was sooooo ready for acyl chlorides. I screwed up the essay on optical isomers! I thought glycine had a chiral centre!
Reply 48
endeavour

Hmm, isnt it 72/90 = 80% ? Im sure it is, it cant be as high as 79 outta 90 marks...can it? :eek:
theicon
Hmm, isnt it 72/90 = 80% ? Im sure it is, it cant be as high as 79 outta 90 marks...can it? :eek:

well 72 is the UMS marks you get. But how much you need to get an A depends on how well everyone else does as a whole. So if everyone did well on the paper, they increase the grade boundaries, so you may need more than 80% to get an A.
Reply 50
endeavour
well 72 is the UMS marks you get. But how much you need to get an A depends on how well everyone else does as a whole. So if everyone did well on the paper, they increase the grade boundaries, so you may need more than 80% to get an A.

Oh right i see, well thanks for clearing that up....never did understand how exam marks were worked out. :confused: ...well now i do.... :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending