The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

As people have pointed out yes it is against the rules, the reason for us not permitting switches and routers is a technical one, it has nothing to do with cost or bandwidth availability.

Basically we don't trust consumer equipment not to mess up the network, we've already seen that some consumer protocols do place a huge load on our routers now and again.

The decision and rule is there so one user either maliciously or by accident, can not take out 48 other users. A hub or switch SHOULD not work on ResNet you should only get connectivity to the first machine our system sees.

A router can be "safer", and currently while we can detect them, we currently don't. But it is against the rules, so if you do cause an issue with one, (something stupid like handing out DHCP leases to the ResNet port) you'll be up in front of the deanery for a telling off.

That being said I'm aware that people do and don't cause us any problems.

M2.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
2 ISS Monkey
As people have pointed out yes it is against the rules, the reason for us not permitting switches and routers is a technical one, it has nothing to do with cost or bandwidth availability.

Basically we don't trust consumer equipment not to mess up the network, we've already seen that some consumer protocols do place a huge load on our routers now and again.

The decision and rule is there so one user either maliciously or by accident, can not take out 48 other users. A hub or switch SHOULD not work on ResNet you should only get connectivity to the first machine our system sees.

A router can be "safer", and currently while we can detect them, we currently don't. But it is against the rules, so if you do cause an issue with one, (something stupid like handing out DHCP leases to the ResNet port) you'll be up in front of the deanery for a telling off.

That being said I'm aware that people do and don't cause us any problems.

M2.

Even if you did hook up a router with laptop, xbox360, etc. would it actually work? ie. all systems connected would work as though they were connected to ResNet directly.
Reply 22
What happens if you use ICS? I really don't fancy getting a telling off over trying to transfer files to my laptop :tongue:
along a similar line.. i want to hook my n95 up to the internet using my laptops connection (ad hoc). i've tried setting this up, but just cant get the phone to get on the internet, it connects to the laptop fine, and i can do network related things fine, can ping the phone even, but i just cant get the internet to work on it. i've enabled connection sharing.. anyone got any ideas??

i just want to be able to do this for example to test software on my phone, update podcasts straight on it etc

thanks!
stefan.audrain
Even if you did hook up a router with laptop, xbox360, etc. would it actually work? ie. all systems connected would work as though they were connected to ResNet directly.

I don't know for sure, there would be double NAT in there for sure. Which will cause most fussy things to break. But *theoretically* most things would work as well.

M2.

Latest

Trending

Trending