The Student Room Group

How competitive is midwifery?

My mums an antenatal teacher and midwifery lecturer at UWE and tells me most universities only take on students who are under 30 and straight out of sixth form due to 'ticking the boxes' as they're worried about the younger students not being fully aware of the course, and the high drop out rate. I also realised there was just one girl who was 18 on the swansea course..and my cousin also tells me there was just one girl on the midwife course at keele who was 18...

So, is it that bad?! Or what makes a good applicant stand out?

I want to do it but all these stories of how competitive it is just scares me, so doing the nursing degree and then midwifery top up makes sense..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anna_spanner89
My mums an antenatal teacher and midwifery lecturer at UWE and tells me most universities only take on students who are under 30 and straight out of sixth form due to 'ticking the boxes' as they're worried about the younger students not being fully aware of the course, and the high drop out rate. I also realised there was just one girl who was 18 on the swansea course..and my cousin also tells me there was just one girl on the midwife course at keele who was 18...

So, is it that bad?! Or what makes a good applicant stand out?

I want to do it but all these stories of how competitive it is just scares me, so doing the nursing degree and then midwifery top up makes sense..

what? you say that, but then say that there is only one person at keele who is 18...
Reply 2
Annaconda
what? you say that, but then say that there is only one person at keele who is 18...

sorry was late at night...

they take on the over 30's, with children, experience etc for nursing and NOT the under 20's straight out of a-levels due to a belief they don't fully understand and the high drop out rates

hope that makes sense, like i said..was late and i was tired!!
Reply 3
But wouldn't under 30's be better at learning? And also they can be practicing midwives for longer? And was the 18 thing at the start or end of the year? Because if it's near the end most people will have just turned 19 during the year. :smile:

My sister wants to be a midwife, and she was on a college open day recently, and the teacher was saying some of his past students have gotten into doing midwifery with just Applied GCE Health and Social, so that means you don't need tonnes of UCAS points (and plus they would have been 18). :smile: I think the main part is just experience to be honest, that's the thing you can talk about in your statement and interview, and it can differentiate you. :smile:

Anyway, good luck! Hope that was helpful. :biggrin:
Reply 4
very.
Reply 5
LozengeC
But wouldn't under 30's be better at learning? And also they can be practicing midwives for longer? And was the 18 thing at the start or end of the year? Because if it's near the end most people will have just turned 19 during the year. :smile:

My sister wants to be a midwife, and she was on a college open day recently, and the teacher was saying some of his past students have gotten into doing midwifery with just Applied GCE Health and Social, so that means you don't need tonnes of UCAS points (and plus they would have been 18). :smile: I think the main part is just experience to be honest, that's the thing you can talk about in your statement and interview, and it can differentiate you. :smile:

Anyway, good luck! Hope that was helpful. :biggrin:

not really...as i reckon non of those people got an interview or place!!!!!!
Reply 6
I don't think they can technically do that though, as that's age discrimination. :p:
Reply 7
LozengeC
I don't think they can technically do that though, as that's age discrimination. :p:

well no..because many young girls, fresh faced out of sixth form or a gap year are more likely to drop out, statistically...and they prefer older and more experienced candidates, when i go on student midwives forums all the current students are older, have children and beetween 25-35, even my mum trained to be a midwife when she was 40!
Reply 8
my friend is doing a nursing & midwifery degree course which she got on through clearing and she is 19. Does that help at all?
Reply 9
Sarahl89
my friend is doing a nursing & midwifery degree course which she got on through clearing and she is 19. Does that help at all?

you can't do nursing AND midwifery :smile:
Reply 10
anna_spanner89
you can't do nursing AND midwifery :smile:

ok then shes doing midwifery! at a school of nursing & midwifery i do beg its pardon :p:
Sarahl89
ok then shes doing midwifery! at a school of nursing & midwifery i do beg its pardon :p:

really which uni, grades, how old is she, what work experience????
anna_spanner89
not really...as i reckon non of those people got an interview or place!!!!!!

They were past students... surely they must have got a place.
Reply 13
Yeah, he said they were doing midwifery. :p: :s-smilie:
Reply 14
anna_spanner89
really which uni, grades, how old is she, what work experience????

19, loads of nursing home exp & hospitals, dunno about grades, but kings.
HacklyFracture
They were past students... surely they must have got a place.

thats the problem they probably didn't!!! If you said 'they got places' fair enough..but they COULD have applied but whether they got offers is another thing..
Sarahl89
19, loads of nursing home exp & hospitals, dunno about grades, but kings.

she got into midiwifery with no direct obs & gyn experience?? sounds to me like she had just nursing work experience..are you SURE she didn't do nursing?!
anna_spanner89
thats the problem they probably didn't!!! If you said 'they got places' fair enough..but they COULD have applied but whether they got offers is another thing..

But LozengeC said they had got in to do midwifery... :confused: am I missing something here?
HacklyFracture
But LozengeC said they had got in to do midwifery... :confused: am I missing something here?

i saw that after, sorry

was it the diploma course they applied for lozengeC? as ive found many younger applicants have got in through this and not the degree..and the diploma is not around for 2009 entry, it's the degree course im interested in..thats the competitive one!
Reply 19
Very. My mum took it 9 years ago and there were 12 places on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending