The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Slumpy
Yeah, I was very laid back in school(Not good prep really, I'm still a bit too laid back at uni).
I'm not really sure what our school reccomended...it was probably a couple of hours per week at advanced higher, but I think I did rather less than the recommended..I tended to just do my homework, and that was about it.
Yeah..I'd prefer not to work on the weekends..don't have much choice with lectures now though!:p:

Good grief, you one of those effortlessly straight A folk?
Reply 21
Pepperoni
Good grief, you one of those effortlessly straight A folk?

I didn't say anywhere that I was getting As:wink:
But yeah, fairly.
Though almost none of y'all are on my exams, so you have no frame of reference for if it's good or not:p:
Reply 22
A couple of hours a night for highers is more than enough. You'll constantly review to the point that you'll be spewing uncontrollably all the info out of your head by exam time :P

Fun thing is, come study leave, you're likely to get weeks of light revision and relaxation time, whilst everyone else is cramming.

Well done! :biggrin:
I do about 1 and a half per night, as well as homework, but I use my study periods for study (Yeah, I know, shock horror)

Which I could motivate my friend to study, he said he would this year in light of the CCCDD he got at Higher, yet he just spends his time with friends instead of studying, and uses his study periods for some arcade game the school have on the servers, how can I tell him that he's destined for a repeat of last year opr worse if he keeps it up without sounding as if I'm being on a high horse?
Reply 24
RobbieNewton
I do about 1 and a half per night, as well as homework, but I use my study periods for study (Yeah, I know, shock horror)

Which I could motivate my friend to study, he said he would this year in light of the CCCDD he got at Higher, yet he just spends his time with friends instead of studying, and uses his study periods for some arcade game the school have on the servers, how can I tell him that he's destined for a repeat of last year opr worse if he keeps it up without sounding as if I'm being on a high horse?

Snap! And they leave so much time in the evenings too!

I'd say just tell him. Say "Remember last year? Wouldn't it be a real shame to waste your last year of free education on an arcade game?"
Reply 25
RobbieNewton

are you doing any of the same subjects as him? if you are then you could ask him if he wants to look over anything with you or suggest you have a day where he comes over to yours (a sunday maybe) and you go through what you have done recently on the course and eat loads of food as well

a girl i was friends with got AAAAB at higher, then she stopped hanging around with me and my friends who motivated her to work and she ended up getting CDF at AH and an A in higher biology because she did no work at all (although the D at AH won't be certified until she resits a nab again)
Nah, don't have any of thje same subjects, cept for Drama but he's Higher and I'm Advanced, and I have enough on m,y hands for that course without going over stuff with him, especially since I'm for all intents and purposes teaching myself
Reply 27
2 hours a week for them highers is more than enough let alone a day - and that includes time for homework as well. I don't actually understand what you do for them 2 hours as there is not enough work to fill the hours with
Reply 28
kayjay
2 hours a week for them highers is more than enough let alone a day - and that includes time for homework as well. I don't actually understand what you do for them 2 hours as there is not enough work to fill the hours with

2 hours a week? calm down, i think you're exaggerating a bit. in terms of doing homework, and preparing essays etc, an hour a day could be filled easily, in my opinion.
kiwi-93
2 hours a week? calm down, i think you're exaggerating a bit. in terms of doing homework, and preparing essays etc, an hour a day could be filled easily, in my opinion.

Yeah an hour a day at the absolute max if you ask me. Who here honestly has 7 hours worth of homework a week??
Meteorshower
Yeah an hour a day at the absolute max if you ask me. Who here honestly has 7 hours worth of homework a week??

Not an hour a day a subject, but I would say I ended up with an average of 1.5 hours homework a day in total last year (5 highers), and just as much this year for 3 AHs, plus dissertation work, though S6 is a bit different with all the free/study periods. :smile:

Particularly if you take into account NABs, A/B tests, prelims (depending on when they are), I would say a mean of 1.25 hours should be sufficient. Problem solved :proud:
sarahleslie1
Not an hour a day a subject, but I would say I ended up with an average of 1.5 hours homework a day in total last year (5 highers), and just as much this year for 3 AHs, plus dissertation work, though S6 is a bit different with all the free/study periods. :smile:

Particularly if you take into account NABs, A/B tests, prelims (depending on when they are), I would say a mean of 1.25 hours should be sufficient. Problem solved :proud:

Fair enough, my point is more at this time of the year you shouldn't need to be doing nearly as much now as when the end of the year is near.

Advanced highers are different yeah, I'm probably spending between one and two hours every night on that. I am desperately trying to finish a whole bunch of crap though, and that's only been the last week and a bit.
Reply 32
kiwi-93

I would have to disagree, barring the night before the exam, or the night before projects are to be handed in 2 hours a week is plenty. I would spend most of my day doing other stuff, then around 10/10.30 before going to sleep i would finish of whatever needed to be done which would take 20 - 30 minutes and that would be me.From Int 2 --> Adv. Higher i have never really seen the need to do a lot because most of it gets done in class, plus you get tons of revision time in class for any exams, so work outside is minimal. People who talk about hours a day for Adv. H must be getting near enough 100% n their exams if they are spending that much time on them
If 2 hours feels enough for you then that's the length of time you need to spend every night. If not, do more or less accordingly. There's no one answer for anyone.
Agree with Biggles. Just don't do too much, that can lead to boredom, procrastination and general moodiness.

Latest

Trending

Trending