The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Three modules in maths doesn't make an A-level? But i would definetly do the mechanics modules.
Reply 2
Why don't you call them and ask? They'll give you a straight answer.

And yes, I think you should drop D1 and do M1 instead, it'll give you a head start when you're at Uni.
I agree , don't waste your time with decision maths at all and do straight mechanics especially as you're not doing any Physics it wouldn't be a good idea to go to uni not having met anything in at least M2 doing something like engineering.It might be that they might be able to take you on the course with M1 and M2 in lieu of A2 Physics.(You meet concepts even up to M3 in A2 Physics such as circular motion but it all has to be watered down for those who don't do Maths but do Physics :s-smilie: )

EDIT - apparantly their course seems to have no requirement for A2 Physics.I still think it's a good idea though doing straight mechanics.
Reply 4
they wont let you in for any engineering course without Physics.
Reply 5
is Mechanis same as Alevel Physics?
Reply 6
should i pick further maths ? would that help for civil engineering?
Reply 7
UCL offers Civil Engineering for those who haven't got A Level Physics, but their offer range is AAA-AAB (depending on your predicted grades). I met quite a few non-physics people at their open day last year actually.

By all means pick further maths, it will definitely help you!
Reply 8
Newcastle Uni offers Civil engineering with foundation year. There is a test at the start of the year, if you perform well they consider you to enter Stage 1 without the foundation year.

If I was you I would definately do the mechanics modules.
Reply 9
TI-84
they wont let you in for any engineering course without Physics.

******** :nah:

M1 would be preferable, M2 would also be nice but S1 is a good scorer and you will need it anyway as we (at Newcastle) do Statistics in Stage 2.

Newcastle

Civil Engineering
MEng Honours UCAS Code: H290
entry requirements

A Levels
AAB/ABB including Mathematics and excluding General Studies. GCSE Physics or Dual Award Science (minimum grade B) required if not offered at A or AS level.

BEng Honours UCAS Code: H200
entry requirements

A Levels
BBB/BBC including Mathematics and excluding General Studies. GCSE Physics or Dual Award Science (minimum grade B) required if not offered at A or AS level.

University of Scouseland

CIVIL ENGINEERING MEng (Hons)
Programme Length: 4 years
Typical Offer:
A level: BBB
Scottish Higher/
Scottish Advanced Higher: AAAA / BBB
International Baccalaureate: 30 including minimum 5 in
higher level Mathematics
Irish Leaving Certificate Higher: BBBBB
BTEC National Diploma: DDM including Distinction
in NIII Further Mathematics
Access: Applications considered
General Studies: No
Key Skills: No
Subject Requirements: Mathematics at A level
Key Contact: Eur Ing Terry Hedges
T: +44 (0)151 794 4701
E: [email protected]
Reply 10
bluenoxid
******** :nah:

M1 would be preferable, M2 would also be nice but S1 is a good scorer and you will need it anyway as we (at Newcastle) do Statistics in Stage 2.

Newcastle

Civil Engineering
MEng Honours UCAS Code: H290
entry requirements

A Levels
AAB/ABB including Mathematics and excluding General Studies. GCSE Physics or Dual Award Science (minimum grade B) required if not offered at A or AS level.

BEng Honours UCAS Code: H200
entry requirements

A Levels
BBB/BBC including Mathematics and excluding General Studies. GCSE Physics or Dual Award Science (minimum grade B) required if not offered at A or AS level.

University of Scouseland

CIVIL ENGINEERING MEng (Hons)
Programme Length: 4 years
Typical Offer:
A level: BBB
Scottish Higher/
Scottish Advanced Higher: AAAA / BBB
International Baccalaureate: 30 including minimum 5 in
higher level Mathematics
Irish Leaving Certificate Higher: BBBBB
BTEC National Diploma: DDM including Distinction
in NIII Further Mathematics
Access: Applications considered
General Studies: No
Key Skills: No
Subject Requirements: Mathematics at A level
Key Contact: Eur Ing Terry Hedges
T: +44 (0)151 794 4701
E: [email protected]

Weird.
Seems that you can do Civil Eng without Physics at Liverpool :eek:
You weren't able to last year, as far as I'm aware.
Reply 11
nimatahmasebi
is Mechanis same as Alevel Physics?

No! Although I found M1 harder than Unit 1 physics (which was mainly mechanics) there are bits of mechanics in the other units which are useful as well. And if you think about it, it wouldn't make sense that one or two units of mechanics could be the equivalent to a whole a level in physics.
Why is it not possible for you to do A Level Physics?
I self taught AS maths because it didn't fit in my timetable, maybe you could think about doing the same for AS physics? (but be warned: its hard work!)
Even if you manage to find one uni that will consider you without physics, you're going to need to apply to more than one!
Reply 12
Do further maths and pick up mechanics modules. But be warned, it will be a bit hard to understand the concept without doing physics. Its because I did the same thing as well. Good luck=]
Reply 13
you should be fine, I did physics ALevel and M1 but not M2, and got along fine at birmingham

my housemate only did M1 and didnt do physics, and he's also getting along fine with the 2nd year
Reply 14
what did you get for your maths?
what qulification for M1 you have ? OCR , AQA, EXCEl .......
Reply 15
I got A in maths with WJEC. I got 100% but thats not as impressive as it sounds as its ridiculously easy once u get the hang of it. If you're worried then just do a bit of maths over the summer to catch up.

if you have the choice then do M1 and M2, as theyre definitely more relevant for your course.

Latest