The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

she
All cottape pie is is some minced meat cooked with vegetables and gravy put into a casserole dish, covered in mash, and stuck in the oven. So yes, it's pretty simple and I'd find it hard to understand how someone wouldn't know how to make it...

How do you make the gravy? Mashed potatoes? How are the veg cooked? Mince? Do you just put raw mince, and chopped veg and gravy in a pot, and put mashed potatoes on top? How do you know when it's ready?

Just because you find some cooking easy, and I suspect you aren't as good as you think, doesn't mean everyone does.

Things like getting a fried egg perfect take practise. Rice is difficult too.
Reply 22
fisherman
How do you make the gravy? Mashed potatoes? How are the veg cooked? Mince? Do you just put raw mince, and chopped veg and gravy in a pot, and put mashed potatoes on top? How do you know when it's ready?

Just because you find some cooking easy, and I suspect you aren't as good as you think, doesn't mean everyone does.

Things like getting a fried egg perfect take practise. Rice is difficult too.

I never said I was good, just that common sense is all you need to cook something easy. How can someone not know how to make mashed potatoes??
Flat mate tried to make tuna pasta and almost emptied a can of tuna into a pan of boiling water with penne in it.

Nump.
Reply 24
I once tried to make jacket potato in the microwave. Ended up melting the microwave door, setting the fire alarm off and turing the inside of the potato black.
Mashed potatoes, if you haven't made them before, are not obvious. Do you mash them up in a blender or something when raw? Boil them? Roast them? Do you drain the water off them? Do you add milk/butter/salt? etc etc.
Reply 26
fisherman
Mashed potatoes, if you haven't made them before, are not obvious. Do you mash them up in a blender or something when raw? Boil them? Roast them? Do you drain the water off them? Do you add milk/butter/salt? etc etc.

Use something called a potato masher.
Titch89
Use something called a potato masher.

Someone cooking for the first time is going to have no idea what a potato masher looks like/is.
Reply 28
fisherman
Someone cooking for the first time is going to have no idea what a potato masher looks like/is.

I use a fork for mine. Works just fine.

There is no excuse for not understanding the basics. I can understand fear of trying for the first time, but not knowing how to make mashed potato or burning an egg is laziness or an unwillingness to think.
Reply 29
ThisLittlePiggy
Flat mate tried to make tuna pasta and almost emptied a can of tuna into a pan of boiling water with penne in it.

Nump.

Exactly, it's because he didn't think about it first. :rolleyes:
she
I use a fork for mine. Works just fine.

There is no excuse for not understanding the basics. I can understand fear of trying for the first time, but not knowing how to make mashed potato or burning an egg is laziness or an unwillingness to think.

I'm well aware of the tools you can use for potato mashing, thank you.

Why is it laziness? Because some people do live off ready meals, or have parents cook for them most of the time. It's not obvious how to make mashed potatoes without having experience of making them before.
Reply 31
fisherman
I'm well aware of the tools you can use for potato mashing, thank you.

Why is it laziness? Because some people do live off ready meals, or have parents cook for them most of the time. It's not obvious how to make mashed potatoes without having experience of making them before.

Course it is. No one ever showed me how to cook, but I was perfectly capable of making mashed potatoes without having to ask someone to tell me how.

Also living off of ready meals is laziness, unless you really don't have that much time at all!

Basically it should be pretty easy to "reverse engineer" a meal if you've had it before and you think about it and it isn't something overally complicated.

Latest