The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i would have thought A/S as they are the most recent depiction of your ability whereas perdicted grades are just a forcast.
i was told that uni's will base their decision on your predicted grades as AS grades arent always a representation of the students potential.
Reply 3
Predicted grades, alot of people fail at their AS and it really doesn't matter because of retakes. ALOT of people retake and boost their grades. But that's not to say that AS grades don't matter at all, if you're predicted an A and have an E at AS, that's not going to look to good.
I dunno, I got ABB in AS and was predicted like BCDE or something and I got into ABB courses. Lost momentum because I hated the course so I actually did only get ACCD but still. I hope my college has a history of predicting "low" (in relation to AS) because then my ABB this year will look better :smile:
as grades i think

as grades are actual - they are an actual fair representation of a students ability
whereas predicted grades depend entirely on the teachers ability/how much the teacher likes the student/its just a predicition etc etc - too many factors affect it - therefore it isnt a fair representation of the students ability.

Therefore as grades seem to be more important
Reply 6
I was told predicted grades. I guess because uni's give offers on predicted grades.
Reply 7
no way predicted grades..
it all depends on how your teachers are and the unis know that!
Reply 8
lets put it this way

if you achieved BBB at AS and predicted AAA ?
Reply 9
just like my situation haha all my grades are 'pending' so it doesnt make a difference to me :P
well in my business studies class the teacher has predicted A grade students Cs, and students who achieved D's also C's!!!, which is pretty harsh, i have also been predicted a C in busienss s which is pretty harsh considering i got 118/120 and 85/90 in 2 units . .ended up with a high B at AS. I have declared my AS grades on Ucas , hopefully they will see beyond predictions. I am quite sure though that AS grades are more important, along with personal statement, and i also think gcses are a little more considered than many assume..
I'd love to know why people assume a position of authority when saying something they quite truly know nothing about.

Question. How are admissions tutors meant to compare candidates with AS grades when probably half the applicants can't declare them?

Predicted grades are the most important, but AS grades can be used when available to determine whether predictions are justified or not.
necessarily benevolent
I'd love to know why people assume a position of authority when saying something they quite truly know nothing about.

Question. How are admissions tutors meant to compare candidates with AS grades when probably half the applicants can't declare them?

Predicted grades are the most important, but AS grades can be used when available to determine whether predictions are justified or not.

You mean exactly like you've just done there? :biggrin:
Reply 13
spursj911
lets put it this way

if you achieved BBB at AS and predicted AAA ?

Predicted.

I got an offer today which was based on predicted grades, the woman at my interview didn't even have my AS grades with her :/
Juustuburger
You mean exactly like you've just done there? :biggrin:

Yep, because that's quite obviously true. Where there are ASs to compare to predictions they'll be looked at. But when people are saying things like, "oh, obviously ASs are more important because they'll hard evidence" without understanding the whole problem with uni admissions today, its just got no substance whatsoever.
mr_Cricket
well in my business studies class the teacher has predicted A grade students Cs, and students who achieved D's also C's!!!, which is pretty harsh, i have also been predicted a C in busienss s which is pretty harsh considering i got 118/120 and 85/90 in 2 units . .ended up with a high B at AS. I have declared my AS grades on Ucas , hopefully they will see beyond predictions. I am quite sure though that AS grades are more important, along with personal statement, and i also think gcses are a little more considered than many assume..

288/300, how is that a B? Unless I've read it wrong...
modernkicks
288/300, how is that a B? Unless I've read it wrong...

You did, 203/210 is what they meant I'd assume.
Juustuburger
You did, 203/210 is what they meant I'd assume.

yeah, unit 2 was very low ..,
Reply 18
YUP, predicted grades are most important ! i hope!

MY AS' were rubbish, well ABBB, but i am predicted AAA, so im hoping that predicted grades are all that matter :biggrin:

I have been told that its ur predicted that matter by my teachers
Reply 19
I actually rang up some unis to ask this very question. I got a B in french AS, but am predicted an A at A2. I was worried because all law and french degrees required an A in french, but when I asked they said as long as I'm predicted an A then my AS grades aren't at all important.

Hope this helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending