The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

Basically I started college in September, and have hated it. Its not that I actually hate college, but the college I am at is quite frankly s*** (crap teaching, lack of organisation, etc). So I enquired about a transfer to a more local, and better college. However I was told that as the exam boards of my courses were not compatible, I couldnt transfer. They told me that if I wanted to enroll with them I had two options, which were to either finish my AS where I am now, and enroll for next year, or to take a gap year, and start afresh at the "better college" next year. So I was just wondering what you all would do in my position, and if taking a gap year would be a good idea? Has anyone else had a gap year before college?

I do really want to go to the other college, but am unsure of whether it would be worth taking a gap year to do so.

Reply 1
if your self motivated and willing to do the AS levels off your own back (ie with the crap teaching and lack of organisation) you could probably pull off doing well at the college you are at. If you need a lot of support from teachers it might be better to change. You could always do your ASs here, and if they go badly repeat the ASs and do the A2s at the better college, if you do well just go on to A2s.
Reply 2
NSW
if your self motivated and willing to do the AS levels off your own back (ie with the crap teaching and lack of organisation) you could probably pull off doing well at the college you are at. If you need a lot of support from teachers it might be better to change. You could always do your ASs here, and if they go badly repeat the ASs and do the A2s at the better college, if you do well just go on to A2s.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Anyone with other suggestions?
Reply 3
If you do decide to start afresh, make sure you use your time wisely this year. I'd probably suggest looking for full time jobs, just to see what is out there right now. If you find something suitable, apply and once you have the offer, leave college and ask to enroll at the better college for next year.

OR if you think you can handle doing a lot of private study for your AS exams, stay where you are now and do that.
Reply 4
Personally I'd take the gap year and start over. I wanted to do that, but my parents wouldn't let me and I feel it's ended up hindering me somewhat.
Are you only 16/17 though? Because I'm not sure how worthwhile a gap year would be at that age - you'd be very limited in terms of what you could do. I would do the AS Levels, and enroll for next year. Presumably if you do super well (which is still very possible if you're self motivated) you'd be allowed to stay at your curretn college.
I wouldn't take a gap year at this stage - you're going to have trouble finding work because it's nearly Xmas... plus the economic problems... How are you going to pay your way at home etc?

I'd say just continue with this year. Try as hard as you can but enrol at the better college next year. :smile:
The question should be, do you think you should take a gap year? You need to consider whether this is simply a phase which might pass if you put your mind to it and work at getting some decent AS grades, or whether you would simply be happier if you left now and then spent the year doing something else.

So you say that you don't hate college per se? Thats good to know. But you hate the organisation in your current one? Is there anyone you can speak to about that to try and change the situation? Rather than just jumping up and saying you're leaving.

If the teachers have said that you can't move to the other college now due to different exam boards, this implies that the situation won't change if you try to enter at A2 next year. Therefore, what you have done this year might end up being surplus if you have to start again doing ASs next year. How do you feel about that? This needs to be something you clarify now, as you might not have the motivation or desire to do well later on in the year if you're just going to start AS again in September.

Also bare in mind, in reference to what I said above, that as soon as you get a grade at AS level it HAS to go on your UCAS form and universities will wonder why you did some ASs then redid them again at another college. That won't look favourably on you and they might class you as a resit candidate meaning you need to get a higher offer.

Your other option is to grin and bare it, and stay where you are for the two years knowing that yes, the other college might be better academically, but if you work hard where you are you can still achieve the same results if you're focused enough. Remember if you take a year out and start again, all of your mates from your current college will up and leave for university after their A2s leaving you on your own. How would that be for a year?

Also, given that we're already in November, you've already done half a term of work which will be about half a unit. Do you have any idea what you plan on doing until next September, if you do leave? As universities would want to see that you did something constructive with the year, and being 16 or so you need to look at this in real terms. There isn't that much you can do, and any job you get will have rubbish pay because you're under 18, let alone under 21.

At the end of the day, this situation is what you make it. I was in a similar one when I was in secondary school, not should I take a gap year, but should I move to a different school which was better academically or stay where I was- which was an awful school with very few prospects (less than 20% GCSE A-Cs) but my friends were there. In the end I stayed at school for the GCSE years and left to go to sixth form college for my A levels. I don't regret it because having to work for myself during those years made me work hard at A level and in my degree. I've found that I have a much more independent outlook to my uni work than my friends, who have spent their lives having everything handed to them on a plate in good schools. When you have to fight to do well and achieve you learn things the hard way, but it helps you in the long run and you feel prouder of your results than others who went to a school where it was given that you'd do wel, because you know that you earnt the grades.

Latest