The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
It wholly depends on ones research interests. You're just trying to cause arguments here.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
ILIGAN
Which do you think is better?

Thanks

Oxford doesn't offer PhDs anyway, so you needn't bother applying. York it is.
Reply 3
Why is York better?
Reply 4
ScholarsInk

You mean Oxford doesn't offer phd in english
Reply 5
ScholarsInk

Well, it offers a Doctorate, which a PhD is, only its called a DPhil. They are the same things though.
Reply 6
Correct. PhD and DPhil are one and the same.
Reply 7
Ed.
It wholly depends on ones research interests. You're just trying to cause arguments here.

Is that what's in your mind?

Why don't you just enumerate those research fields that you think York offers it better than Oxford does?

You don't need to argue since you're a self-confessed genius about PhD thing, k? :smile:
Reply 8
ILIGAN
Is that what's in your mind?

Why don't you just enumerate those research fields that you think York offers it better than Oxford does?

You don't need to argue since you're a self-confessed genius about PhD thing, k? :smile:

I have no idea, I'm not doing a PHD currently and neither are you. I don't really know what motives are here.

If in theory is was applying for an English PHD I would have a specific research plan which either or indeed neither university may specialize in, and my decision would be based on that.
ILIGAN
Why is York better?

I was joking.
Reply 10
Your question doesn't actually make sense because it depends what specific area your Phd is on as to where is best to get it. For example, York is very hot in certain areas of British and Irish modernism and twentieth century studies, whereas Oxford is not so hot. Both are good for renaissance studies, but Oxford might trump them in terms of resources. But even this is too general - York could beat Oxford if I was applying for a PhD in an obscure area of renaissance studies and the specifics of my research proposal matched a supervisor particularly well at York. I might hate to live in Oxford, in which case a PhD from York might be better for me as that's where my house happens to be and where my wife happens to live. I might find Oxford too expensive. I might find York too far north away from relatives. I might already have the perfect job in York and what to study for the PhD part-time, so the prospect of Oxford would not even enter my head. For PhD study, you don't go to university to sit there and watch the buildings exude Oxfordiness and neither do you go there for a PhD in English so that you can wear 'Oxford' as a badge to impress investment bankers because doing a PhD indicates that you are likely to want to enter into an academic career, in which case what you write not where you write it takes priority, because a university would not employ me as an academic to leak that holy Oxfordiness that you're so bloody obsessed with, but to write cutting edge research in my area, which is actually a possibility outside of Oxford - you go to a university for doctoral study because you have to do a massive amount of independent study and need a suitable supervisor to guide you. There are various different reasons why a PhD from York or Oxford might be better than the other.
:ditto: well thats just the cherry on the cake :rofl:
Reply 12
ILIGAN
Which do you think is better?

Thanks

:rolleyes:
You've been repeatedly warned for creating pointless trolling "York vs Oxford"-threads, but if you're that desperate for another warn, I'm more than happy to give you one.

Besides, rottcodd has given you a sensible detailed reply, so I may as well close this now.

Latest

Trending

Trending