The Student Room Group
Reply 1
- Rehearsal?
- Flash bulb memories?
Reply 2
h82think
- Rehearsal?
- Flash bulb memories?

Oh sugar! I missed out factors that facilitate RETRIEVAL from LTM. Doh!
Reply 3
Kimbolina
Oh sugar! I missed out factors that facilitate RETRIEVAL from LTM. Doh!

I'm happy my A-level psychology knowledge has become useful to someone :p:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1giK8vyEz_cC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=LTM+peterson+and+peterson&source=web&ots=91fTIRSa2E&sig=Os06w7JIVXIp31giOtOD1SjuK64&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA1,M1

This might jog some ideas :smile:
Reply 4
h82think
I'm happy my A-level psychology knowledge has become useful to someone :p:

Lol :biggrin:. So rehearsal makes it easier to retrieve memories from LTM? Gosh I'm confused :p:
Kimbolina
Lol :biggrin:. So rehearsal makes it easier to retrieve memories from LTM? Gosh I'm confused :p:

Yeah, because you're constantly consolidating (hope that's the right word) the information, thus it's easier to gain access to and the like.
Reply 6
inksplodge
Yeah, because you're constantly consolidating (hope that's the right word) the information, thus it's easier to gain access to and the like.

Oh, I thought the question meant like in a months time what factors enable you to remember memories? I thought rehearsal just formed a new memory.
Reply 7

The basic structure and processes of the Atkinson & Shiffrin(1968) Multistore Memory Model
Kimbolina
Oh, I thought the question meant like in a months time what factors enable you to remember memories? I thought rehearsal just formed a new memory.

Rehearsal doesn't form a new memory because you're reinforcing your knowledge of the same memory. Aren't you? :o:
Reply 9
h82think

The basic structure and processes of the Atkinson & Shiffrin(1968) Multistore Memory Model

Thanks :smile: I kinda knew this but I don't know if that process helps to retrieve long term memories only the proccess of how they go into LTM? :o: :o:
Reply 10
inksplodge
Rehearsal doesn't form a new memory because you're reinforcing your knowledge of the same memory. Aren't you? :o:

I thought by rehearsing it over and over it goes from STM to LTM therefore creating a long term memory? :/
Kimbolina
I thought by rehearsing it over and over it goes from STM to LTM therefore creating a long term memory? :/

Short term memory capacity is very low (6 plus/minus 2, according to Miller); you wouldn't be able to store it there for that long unless it went into the LTM. Rehearsal I think just makes it easier to remember and retrieve. Also, I'm suggesting rehearsal over a long period of time and not say, 10 minutes.
Reply 12
inksplodge
Short term memory capacity is very low (6 plus/minus 2, according to Miller); you wouldn't be able to store it there for that long unless it went into the LTM. Rehearsal I think just makes it easier to remember and retrieve. Also, I'm suggesting rehearsal over a long period of time and not say, 10 minutes.

Ah. Thanks :smile: Would you say like cues and stuff help to recall information? Like in alzheimer's such as smells, sounds etc? :/

I'm running out of ideas now lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending