The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I rang them a few days ago because I am so impatient and they said there have been a lot of applications, so they're sorting through them at the moment and we should be hearing soon, fingers crossed.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Well good luck, hopefully you will hear soon! Looks like the course its getting more popular.
Hello everyone I'm going to be studying RE next year and I just made a facebook group for all cornwall freshers 2009 so please join it I am the only member so far and I'm lonely!!!:o:
Reply 23
Does everybody applying for or studying renewable energy have maths or physics A level? I have biology, chemistry and english lit :/ I'm not sure I have any chance of getting in.
Julsifer
Does everybody applying for or studying renewable energy have maths or physics A level? I have biology, chemistry and english lit :/ I'm not sure I have any chance of getting in.

Nah it's fine, quite a few people don't have maths or physics. Biology and chemistry (we have a chem module which in hardness is about AS level) is a good base and we don't do really much pure physics beyond a few basic equations (well so far!!).

There is a maths module in the first 2 semesters, the first one (for which i had the exam yesterday) is high GCSE/AS level ish. Although it is quite good because they give you 8 questions in the exam and you get to pick 5 so good if your not strong at a particular topic. I Could give some examples of questions from past papers for any module to give you an idea of how hard/easy it is if you wish.

Of course they teach you all the stuff in lectures and they run seminars weekly where you can go and run through examples etc...

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 25
initiation
Nah it's fine, quite a few people don't have maths or physics. Biology and chemistry (we have a chem module which in hardness is about AS level) is a good base and we don't do really much pure physics beyond a few basic equations (well so far!!).

There is a maths module in the first 2 semesters, the first one (for which i had the exam yesterday) is high GCSE/AS level ish. Although it is quite good because they give you 8 questions in the exam and you get to pick 5 so good if your not strong at a particular topic. I Could give some examples of questions from past papers for any module to give you an idea of how hard/easy it is if you wish.

Of course they teach you all the stuff in lectures and they run seminars weekly where you can go and run through examples etc...

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the info :smile: and knowledge that I have a chance :biggrin: will see if I get accepted before looking at past papers. I really hope I do, it looks so annoyingly good!
Reply 26
what grades did people get for offers? I've just been told they're really high... I have ABC...
Reply 27
Mine was unconditional as i already have my A levels, i have AAA. Entry is BBB though isnt it? You might be ok depends on how many applicants they get i guess.
Reply 28
Does anyone know what happens on the post offer open day for renewable energy? It says there is a subject talk then a practical session. What does this envolve? Are your parents taken somewhere seperatly or are they envolved too?
Meh they sound like they have these grand plans but it doesn't usually come to fruition. Said the same to me last year although there was only 5 students (+5 parents) there as it was the early one in December, we had the usual 'CSM - world class institution, history, hot rocks project etc...' talk, a look around the labs, then we went up with Dean and two 1st years to the 2 wind turbines on top of the hill over looking the uni, stood around a bit with Dean chatting giving us a chunk of info and asking a few q's to get us thinking. Headed back down, sat with them at lunch and chatted for an hour over assorted things then left about 2:30ish as we had a 6 1/4 hour drive back home. Parents stayed with everyone all day. As there was only a few people we had the chance -purely out of interest- to go down the test mine, would have been cool but as said, had to leave to get home. Doubt they will do it during the feb/march one as they said it gets very busy.

No idea what will happen this year though, could be something totally different and a bit more practical but I somehow doubt it. I would certainly recommend going though and having a good chat with them as Dean Miller will probably remember you making that effort when it comes to sorting out places in August.
Reply 30
Got an email earlier today from the admissions tutor for CSM saying I have a conditional offer :biggrin: Don't know what it is yet but I'm so happy. How's it going for everyone else who's applied? Apparently mine took a while because I'm doing IB and they're rejigging guideline on IB offers if that's any help to people. X
Reply 31
thats for the info initiation and congrats stringe.
Reply 32
Got an offer today :smile: 32 IB with a 5 in Physics or Chemistry. Hope it goes well for everyone else X
Reply 33
Does anyone know how much the filed trips cost?
The 3 day one in November is about £50 IIRC, the Easter trip varies depending which one you go on, not to sure of the costs as they still haven't given us an exact figure but roughly speaking the cycling trip around La Rance is £150 and the Denmark trip is £230.
Reply 35
ok thanks. Nothing that is going to break the bank then. I was just looking into finances and suddenly realised i'd forgotton about this.

I'm not sure i like the sound of cycling....sounds a bit energetic!
Just to make it clear though you choose to either go to Denmark or France, can't do both, so if you don't want to cycle then you don't have to.
Reply 37
yeah I realised that.

I sound really lazy now!

I like the sound of the field trips though i bet they are good fun.

Do you know, roughly how much you have to spend on text books?
Hey,

I realise it is a bit late for loads of you but I am now a 3rd year on this course so if you have any questions fire away. I will try to keep remembering to check back!

Just for the info though there isn't a large amount of chemistry really (I gave it up after doing seperate sciences at GCSE and basically it is at a similar level to that).

As for fieldtrips I think from memory the cost was about £50 for the one before christmas in first year, and about £200 for France in easter of 1st year.

Went to Iceland in the 2nd year and that was over £300. No idea on cost for the 3rd year.

For those who haven't been to Open Days to get a feel of the campus there are several good reviews out there including one of my own: http://hubpages.com/hub/Tremough-Campus

If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.
nik987
yeah I realised that.

I sound really lazy now!

I like the sound of the field trips though i bet they are good fun.

Do you know, roughly how much you have to spend on text books?

Hi,

I am now in my 3rd year and I have probably spent less than £100 pounds on textbooks, although I know some who have spent nearer £500 and others nearer nothing. Guessing you haven't got reading lists yet but in ours it was only advised we got two books, and then lecturers advised on books for specific modules and if you are like me you will just use the library copies!

Matt

Latest

Trending

Trending