The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

L i b
Well, the law it was apparently allowed under in California was its state constitution, enacted in 1879. I doubt they were really thinking about gay marriage when they wrote it. Much like the famous Roe v. Wade abortion case, it's really more a case of judges making laws of their own accord, against the normal interpretation of the law.

Equally of course, thousands of men fought in America for the right to keep slaves...

Hmm. I see what you mean about judges deciding on their own interpretations of laws, but both this and Roe v. Wade are a step forward for the rights of everyone, and that cannot be a bad thing. Going back is pointless.

Fighting for the right to keep slaves seriously affects the rights of others, and it therefore does not compare.
Reply 41
It was 52% for and 48% against, which isn't really a landslide for 'for'. Had it been the same proposition in another state, particularly a 'red' one, the against count would probably be about 5% of the vote, so this doesn't really mean that California as a whole isn't accepting of gay marriage, it means that opinion is quite split.

I don't see how it affects straight people, and it's so unfair for those who already got married (when the first couples got married and it was all over the news, they looked so happy :frown:) that their marriages will now be VOID...it's crazy!
Bagration

There have been a great many legal rights taken away in this country which I suspect that the majority of people in this thread would not be opposed to. Frankly I find the democratic removal of my right to own a semi automatic firearm far, far, far more disgusting, dangerous, and tyrannical than the removal of the right for the state to marry homosexuals.

This is nothing to do with Prop 8, but I would rather be gay and unmarried yet armed than gay and married yet unarmed. It is much better in a country like the United States if you are an ethnic minority to have a pistol in your sock drawer than to have a certificate saying you are married or you have equal pay rights by law or whatever it is that minorities are asking for.

Again, this has very little in common with the right to marriage. As I said, it's about equality. Whether you're straight, gay, black, white, old, young, you cannot own a firearm. Nobody is being treated as a second class citizen.
Reply 43
music is my girlfriend
Again, it's a separate issue, as gay people have not made the decision to break the law in any such way, and therefore shouldn't be 'punished' by having their rights eliminated.

I can't really be bothered to get into a debate about incest at the moment.

So you think people who break the law should have their rights eliminated? Perhaps it should be legal to beat them? Perhaps burgle their homes?

If you can't be bothered to consider all the pertaining facts to the case, you shouldn't be bothering to pass judgement on it either.
Devel
Yes and they are exactly the same as marriage in all but name.

Well then, it doesn't have a huge impact, only to gay rights. I don't agree with gay marriage anyway, so I guess I agree with this proposition too.
Reply 45
music is my girlfriend
It passed.

:frown:
samba
So you think people who break the law should have their rights eliminated? Perhaps it should be legal to beat them? Perhaps burgle their homes?

If you can't be bothered to consider all the pertaining facts to the case, you shouldn't be bothering to pass judgement on it either.

That is not what I said. If you could be bothered to read my post properly we might be able to have a more interesting debate.

I am undecided. I haven't fully considered the facts and the arguments. I would be willing to debate about the issue, but not here, as it becomes completely unrelated.
music is my girlfriend
Again, this has very little in common with the right to marriage. As I said, it's about equality. Whether you're straight, gay, black, white, old, young, you cannot own a firearm. Nobody is being treated as a second class citizen.

Well, I'm not sure about that argument, it's always seemed like a bit of a red-herring to me. I mean, in a very technical sense, the rights are "equal"; gay people can get married in exactly the same way that straight people can, that is to say, they can both marry someone of the opposite sex.

I think it's much more sensible to focus on the fact that Prop 8 and the other anti-gay initiatives that passed in other states took away from people the right to do something that wasn't hurting anyone.
Reply 48
music is my girlfriend
That is not what I said. If you could be bothered to read my post properly we might be able to have a more interesting debate.

I am undecided. I haven't fully considered the facts and the arguments. I would be willing to debate about the issue, but not here, as it becomes completely unrelated.

You said you hadn't considered prisoners not having the vote, and hypothesised that a good reason might be because they should have their rights removed for committing a crime.

And the incest argument is entirely related. If two people are happy together, why can't they get married? You want one rule for all, stand by what you say, instead of dodging the uncomfortable reality that even you're not happy with everybody having the same rights.
Reply 49
numb3rb0y

I think it's much more sensible to focus on the fact that Prop 8 and the other anti-gay initiatives that passed in other states took away from people the right to do something that wasn't hurting anyone.

It forced schools to teach same-sex marriage as a morally EQUAL alternative, Cal like the rest of America is full of religious people and they do not see this as right.
It will only take away the right for same-sex couples to call it marriage, everything else is still there.
music is my girlfriend
Well, you're sort of right; we're all being treated as second class citizens, but you sort of missed the point. Rights have been taken away in both instances. The moral outrage (here, anyway) associated with one has not been associated with the other simply because one is acceptable and one isn't; so it's not the fact that a right has been taken away is wrong, its that you think X should have a right and that right has been taken away so you're annoyed.

Incidentally; if you're white, female, black, communist, jewish, whatever; you can still not get married if you're gay. If marriage is defined as a man and a woman then banning gay marriage is perfectly legitimate.

My point still stands: if you need a certificate from the state to live your life in happiness then you are a.) a pathetic individual and b.) a serf.
Devel
It forced schools to teach same-sex marriage as a morally EQUAL alternative, Cal like the rest of America is full of religious people and they do not see this as right.
It will only take away the right for same-sex couples to call it marriage, everything else is still there.

Practically speaking I agree with Bagration that there are more important issues, given that civil unions are effectively marriages in all but name, but on an idealistic level separate but equal is inherently unequal and amounts to nothing short of tacit approval of bigotry.
Reply 52
music is my girlfriend
Disclaimer: I am really not an expert on American politics.

So, as well as the presidential election yesterday, American voters could also vote on a lot of state-specific propositions, one of which was California's proposition 8.

Gay marriage has been legal in California since May, but this proposition was in favour of eliminating the rights of gay couples to marry.

It passed.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this..

I'm saddened but not surprised. California is a strange state, and as a resident there, I can definitely attest to the hysterics and fervor by the most moderate people about the passing of gay marriage. Moderates and Republicans in California tend to think that they are the enemy, and lash back occasionally with vindictive measures like this. Of course, it doesn't help that the Christian Right is far more organized than LBGT rights groups, which doesn't have nearly the money or the organization that non-tolerant christian organizations can claim. The tide is changing though, slowly but surely. Anyone who has studied the civil rights movement knows that these things take time, and the evidence that such a thing would HAVE to be put on a ballot to overturn AND barely pass is good news for the future. The hatred of the right may have won this battle, but they're far from winning the war. As more and more scientific evidence comes out to support LBGT lifestyles as biological and not a choice, more people will inevitably come to the conclusion that the Bible, half of it written more than 2000 years ago, isn't always right in it's condemnation of people.

People who point to the Old Testament to further support their claims undermine their beliefs merely by being gentile, after all, which never would have been accepted in those times. :rolleyes:
samba
You said you hadn't considered prisoners not having the vote, and hypothesised that a good reason might be because they should have their rights removed for committing a crime.

And the incest argument is entirely related. If two people are happy together, why can't they get married? You want one rule for all, stand by what you say, instead of dodging the uncomfortable reality that even you're not happy with everybody having the same rights.

I was actually talking about the prisoner argument being unrelated, in the sense that it can very quickly become unrelated.

And yes, I did hypothesise a reason, while at the same time making it clear that I am unsure of my personal views. I can definitely see the argument for allowing prisoners the right to vote.

I actually have no problem with incest between brothers and sisters in general, it is slightly more complicated with fathers and daughters, mainly because of implications of abuse. Of course, this can also happen in incestuous relationships between siblings, and to an extent in any relationship. Without knowing the facts I am not going to speculate on whether abuse is more common in incestuous relationships, and say that I am, again, undecided on the issue.

I would write more, but I have to go.
Nice talking/debating with you.
samba
So, you agree that certain groups (prisoners and u18's for example) shouldn't have the right to vote

Prisoners don't have the right to vote!?
willenium
this has totally harshed my obama mellow.

:rofl: Classic! Same here though... :shifty:
Reply 56
numb3rb0y
Practically speaking I agree with Bagration that there are more important issues, given that civil unions are effectively marriages in all but name, but on an idealistic level separate but equal is inherently unequal and amounts to nothing short of tacit approval of bigotry.

What about the preservation of keeping the definition of marriage intact?
What about the fact that this is just not about allowing marriage, this then has to be taught to children as young as 4 as a morally equal alternative, you can't just say that not calling it marriage is just bigotry because there are other aspect's to consider.
Reply 57
numb3rb0y

I agree with you. "Seperate but Equal" institutions are not supported by the Constitution of the United States. The precedent that "Separate but Equal" could be constitutional was overturned in Brown vs. Board of Edu. Topeka.

Therefore, I would have the government award only civil unions, seeing as how marriage is generally connected with religion. Leave it up to the churches to marry people, many of which are happy to marry gay couples, and the government to grant civil unions to all who want them. That way, everyone's happy, and it would reinforce the "wall of separation" clause in the 1st Amendment.
curryADD
Therefore, I would have the government award only civil unions, seeing as how marriage is generally connected with religion. Leave it up to the churches to marry people, many of which are happy to marry gay couples, and the government to grant civil unions to all who want them. That way, everyone's happy, and it would reinforce the "wall of separation" clause in the 1st Amendment.

This is the only sensible, fair, and generally Liberal (classical and new) method of doing it.
Reply 59
Devel
What about the preservation of keeping the definition of marriage intact?
What about the fact that this is just not about allowing marriage, this then has to be taught to children as young as 4 as a morally equal alternative, you can't just say that not calling it marriage is just bigotry because there are other aspect's to consider.

It doesn't have to be taught to children as a morally equal alternative, although it is. Did your kindergarten class teach you about marriage? Mine certainly didn't. Neither did my sex ed class that I took in California. School's, unless private, don't spend time discussing marriage; and as a veteran of both California and Texas school systems I think I can be fairly authoritative in stating that even in the most conservative school districts, marriage was never taught about as an institution....

Latest

Trending

Trending