The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Clubber Lang
Ajax is what they use to clean the cupboards

I worked at McDonalds briefly and each closedown took abotu 2 hours it was ridiculous and we has to stay til it was done!

Ajaxing takes the piss cos you spend ages doing it then someone puts a massive handprint on it and messes it all up.

I'm glad our store's 24 hours now because we don't have closes. The all nighters just end up doing all the cleaning stuff, usually.
Reply 21
Norfolkadam
I was put on chicken. Seven shifts later I threw up over my managers feet after pushing a tray of chicken selects onto someone's head. I quit and was never paid. Now I work at Debenhams and it's awesome. No vomit or anything.

Was the pushing the chicken selects onto someone's head related to the vomit, or were they seperate events? Out of curiosity, of course, just wondering why the chicken selects on someone's head would induce vomiting.
worked briefly
£4.25 an hour but i ddnt get paid, turned out they were accidently paying someone else for my work
i said i could only work sundays and mon-thur evenings, then they schedule me 7-4 on friday and saturday.
I woke up in the morning at 5 30am on the friday, thought wtf am i doing, called them up and quit :biggrin:
Boots now, £5.60 an hour, go me!
Reply 23
adam_1234
Ajaxing takes the piss cos you spend ages doing it then someone puts a massive handprint on it and messes it all up.

I'm glad our store's 24 hours now because we don't have closes. The all nighters just end up doing all the cleaning stuff, usually.

Who buys a chicken sandwich at 2am? :eek:

Have you done one of the all night shifts then? :p:
Jessaay!
Was the pushing the chicken selects onto someone's head related to the vomit, or were they seperate events? Out of curiosity, of course, just wondering why the chicken selects on someone's head would induce vomiting.

Stress mostly. Let's say McDonalds wasn't an enviroment I thrived in.
I was usually put on the Fries, it was hard work... really hard to keep up with the demand on the weekend and I kept getting burnt like mad.

Still it was a good experience I spose, I only did it for about 2 months and quite for various reasons (distance from hoem was one).

I remember once almost burning one of the managers and he got mega pissed at me, lol
Jessaay!

Sadly I'm under 18 so I have to wait a year before I get to have fun doing them.
It's just the drive thru open though, and the menu gets limited so it's only basic stuff like cheeseburgers. They only have a few people in because there's not much to do apart from take everything apart and clean it. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Ill never work in McDonalds however i remember when i was a kid in the 90s when my big sister had a chrismas job there and she would always bring me and my bro some toys from the happy meals. God i was soo excited! I miss my childhood. :frown:
Reply 28
Jessaay!
I agree :frown:

I'm doing a close on Saturday too, so I have to AJax and sweep, mop etc :sad:

yeah they were the worse! people always used to splash my nice and shiney silver cupboards! I did LOVE washing up tho! I used to put three holes in them yellow binbags and then use that sprayer thing and get water EVERYWHERE! I also used to have a mcflurry for lunch that was half sauce with a blob of icecream! we were also only alowed to have either a bicmac or a cheese burger with fries and a drink for lunch, but I used to make my self a big tastey with all the stuff on plus extra cheese and put it in a bigmac box! hahahahahah

I hope no one knows who I am!:yep:
tradingmyheartforyours

Well next month I will have been there two years, make of that what you will..:rolleyes:

you dont have much hope in life lol
Reply 30
Jessaay!

At one of the stores where I trained at they were doing 200 quid hours at 2am in the morning which isn't bad and worth keeping open - mainly because it was next to the town centre where all the night clubs are, and this is Bolton. Had the HHOT (Handheld Order Taker) out till 11:30pm at night, haha.
Reply 31
rt
At one of the stores where I trained at they were doing 200 quid hours at 2am in the morning which isn't bad and worth keeping open - mainly because it was next to the town centre where all the night clubs are, and this is Bolton. Had the HHOT (Handheld Order Taker) out till 11:30pm at night, haha.

Oooh Bolton, I work in one in the center of Rochdale and it never seems to be busy at all after 7pm, you'd be lucky if you got 5 customers in an hour, but I suppose nobody is near the shops by then and there is no road near it so it's only in a good location for during the day.

£200 hours at 2am though :eek:
Barry Chuckle
who on earth lives 30 miles from a mcdonalds store? you must seriously live in the sticks.

My nearest McDonalds is 25 miles away from where I live. They tired to put a McDonalds in my town but put a Subway instead.
Peter North
you dont have much hope in life lol

Hahahahaha thanks!! :biggrin:

I appreciate your concern :eek: but all hope is lost and I will just reconcile myself to the depths of society that is mcdonalds :yep: .

..... actually I want to leave but as I am in uni I have no money hence to even create an illusion of money I have to work part-time...:p:
Reply 34
My first shift basically involved being shown the till for ten minutes and then I started taking orders and giving people food and doing a bit of cleaning. I was paid £3.something an hour; can't remember but whatever the minimum wage was back then.
Reply 35
I hope i get to start on tills? Will they start me on burgers?

My workmate is afraid they will put her on burgers even though shes 17
In the restaurant I work in you always start on the normal burgers side (where cheeseburgers and bigmacs are made) either doing dressing or frying buns, because arguably these are the two easiest things to do.

My first shift: first we had to watch orientation videos (about how to keep customers satisfied, hygiene, how to wash hands, general instructions, etc) then we had to fill out question papers, but we were told what to write. Then a manager showed us around the restaurant, then she showed us how to do the buns and the dressing. After a while she left us on our own and we just did the work until the shift was over. It was good, because the job itself is crap but the people really make it better.

About payment, ours looks like nothing compared to British standards, but in Hungary it's not bad at all. We start at around £1.5/hour.
Anderson8
I hope i get to start on tills? Will they start me on burgers?

My workmate is afraid they will put her on burgers even though shes 17

At ours they always ask everyone whether they want to do front or kitchen.
Not sure what it's like at others though.
You're better off becoming a truck driver tbh
Reply 39
tradingmyheartforyours
What did you do?

You will be put with a crew trainer who will stay with you - clock you in and out, takes their breaks with you, they will assuage your fears and build knowledge.

How much were you paid?
You will be paid minimum wage

Did you enjoy it?
Well next month I will have been there two years, make of that what you will..:rolleyes:

Be calm and do not stress about it.

Put with a crew trainer? You mean, told how to do breaks once - then they **** off? Not that I cared when I started, it's easy - not much to it.. :p:

Minimum wage? I started on £4.25.. :yep:

adam_1234
At ours they always ask everyone whether they want to do front or kitchen.
Not sure what it's like at others though.

Meh.. When we go in - just as were clocking in, the shift manager will be on the other side of the kitchen 'Hey Josh, alright - your in kitchen today!'.. Heh, doesn't bother me though, there not impolite about it, love the people at my Maccys.. :biggrin: