The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'd love to have a go at doing the kitchen, or even tills again, but i always do dining area. 8-4 every saturday. Gets very lonely in the morning when there's absolutely nothing to do, and noone to talk to except for some random old guy who always talks about suing the government for every penny they have:s-smilie:
Reply 61
EmmaK90
I'd love to have a go at doing the kitchen, or even tills again, but i always do dining area. 8-4 every saturday. Gets very lonely in the morning when there's absolutely nothing to do, and noone to talk to except for some random old guy who always talks about suing the government for every penny they have:s-smilie:

The government for every penny they have that's ours.** :biggrin:

But yeah, DA isn't too bad but I guess seeming your on it all the time it must be pretty ****.. Really crappy as isn't that much time to social or slack off as your in the open in front of all the managers.. :o:

In the kitchen I love it, heh.. Slack off and actually relax when it's fairly dead, or just take it easy with the people and talk/chat as you do the job.. :yep:
I made my first quarter last night. :biggrin:

Was almost midnight and the one kitchen person was doing high level ajax, so I got told what to do and did it. Good moment.
Reply 63
adam_1234

Was almost midnight and the one kitchen person was doing high level ajax, so I got told what to do and did it. Good moment.

Heh. :p: Quarters are just doubles with some 'real' onion and not the crappy 'fake' onion ('recon').. Except obviously there's the different buns and the big meat. :smile:

Ms are the easiest and quickest to make.. :wink:
adam_1234

I know how you feel. I was so proud when I made my first ranch snack wrap... *sniff* :biggrin:
Hey

Got my first shift on saturday! Have no idea where to go in the restaurant though?!

Do I turn up in casual clothes or the uniform?
emilyystar
Hey

Got my first shift on saturday! Have no idea where to go in the restaurant though?!

Do I turn up in casual clothes or the uniform?

Hey, just go to front counter and tell them you are here for your first shift. A manager will probably take you to the crew room or something. As for the clothes I'd just go in casual. Some places don't like you wearing the uniform out of work. (Although, my one doesn't mind as long as you wear a jumper/coat over your t-shirt.)

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 67
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Hey, just go to front counter and tell them you are here for your first shift. A manager will probably take you to the crew room or something. As for the clothes I'd just go in casual. Some places don't like you wearing the uniform out of work. (Although, my one doesn't mind as long as you wear a jumper/coat over your t-shirt.)

Same here to all the above. :smile:
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn

thankyou :yep:
Sparxy
Same here to all the above. :smile:

thankyou too :yep:
emilyystar
thankyou :yep:

How was it?? :biggrin:
Oh i got put on driv thru for morning and it was okay but i kept messing up the orders by pressing the wrong button etc and i couldnt hear the customers.
then i got put on front counter which was so much more fun and a lot easier :smile:!
today i did a bit of driv thru then front counter.
its arlight not too hard and the people are decent
cant say the same for the customers though
Reply 72
emilyystar
Oh i got put on driv thru for morning and it was okay but i kept messing up the orders by pressing the wrong button etc and i couldnt hear the customers.
then i got put on front counter which was so much more fun and a lot easier :smile:!
today i did a bit of driv thru then front counter.
its arlight not too hard and the people are decent
cant say the same for the customers though

Yeah the customers are arses :smile: Love the people I work with though (most of them anyway, don't like a few :smile:)

You get used to the customers eventually, they seem to forget the people behind the counter are actually human and not just machines :wink: I was discussing this the other day with a guy from work, sometimes you'll see people you recognise who you've served regularly or something. Even though you serve so many people and see so many people you'll recognise them, even if you chat to them when it's quiet though they won't recognise who the hell you are next time they see you, because they dehumanise you. I've had many making complaints about people, and you ask who served them and they go "I can't remember". It's really not that hard to remember one face, when you have to remember hundreds it becomes a problem but even we aren't that bad!

It's most annoying when they say "can you hurry up?" or pester you asking how long it'll be. We get it as quickly as possible, and nobody appreciates cold or uncooked food so they should shut up.

/rant
Jessaay!
Yeah the customers are arses :smile: Love the people I work with though (most of them anyway, don't like a few :smile:)

You get used to the customers eventually, they seem to forget the people behind the counter are actually human and not just machines :wink: I was discussing this the other day with a guy from work, sometimes you'll see people you recognise who you've served regularly or something. Even though you serve so many people and see so many people you'll recognise them, even if you chat to them when it's quiet though they won't recognise who the hell you are next time they see you, because they dehumanise you. I've had many making complaints about people, and you ask who served them and they go "I can't remember". It's really not that hard to remember one face, when you have to remember hundreds it becomes a problem but even we aren't that bad!

It's most annoying when they say "can you hurry up?" or pester you asking how long it'll be. We get it as quickly as possible, and nobody appreciates cold or uncooked food so they should shut up.

/rant

oh yeah completely.
some do remember me and give me a brief smile
i had a couple of lads in on both days i worked last week and they were cheery and happy towards me- obviously remembered me!
but yeah some people get a bit pissy!! like one woman, i gave 3 quid change in 50ps to and she started moaning even thought i apologised for having nothing bigger!
i despise the managers though already and been there 2 weeks!
emilyystar

but yeah some people get a bit pissy!! like one woman, i gave 3 quid change in 50ps to and she started moaning even thought i apologised for having nothing bigger!

Yesterday I had to give a lady £7.50 in 50ps, as we had no £1 coins in the safe and no one had any fivers in their till. She called me 'ridiculous' then proceeded to sit down. Nice.
Reply 75
I do it all the time. If customers say no when I offer them a keyring which contributes a donation to charity (because my manager pushes me to sell them because the money has already gone to charity as the store has already paid for them) I always give them change. Sometimes they give me 20 quid for a cheeseburger so i just give them a full bag of pounds and take one out as a full bag of pounds is 20quid. lol
What your working brain suggested after you left 😅
I have my first shift tonight. I am doing overnights on the weekends at a 24/7 restaurant as a crew member. Pretty nervous about it but I'm sure I'm stressing over nothing. The managers there at the welcome meeting seemed nice :smile:

Latest