The Student Room Group
well... whats the question?
Reply 2
Ahh again sorry... is to falsify to disprove a theory?
The reward of winning money may outweigh the consequences: for the bingo question.

I would go into loads because I ramble, like the experience she has at Bingo is more rewarding than her home life- and link this back to either of the traditional learning theories.

Falsify: prove its false.
Also with the role model, I would mention the word Indirect reinforcement too, I.e. Observing the rewards the role model gets for exercising: and then as you mentioned imitation: which is more SLT than traditional learning theory.
Reply 5
Bangers+Mash
The reward of winning money may outweigh the consequences: for the bingo question.

I would go into loads because I ramble, like the experience she has at Bingo is more rewarding than her home life- and link this back to either of the traditional learning theories.

Falsify: prove its false.

That's easy enough then. I ramble too usually! I'm trying to limit myself since my AS psychology teacher ranted for the entire lesson about how she likes things to be concise.

What about the question on modelling? Do you think my answer's okay?

Thanks for your help!
ettolrahc19
"Jenny likes playing Bingo and vists Gala everyday. Jenny knows that it is now affecting her marriage and home life, but cannot stop as she wins money every now and again. Use your knowledge of behaviourism to explain Jenny's behaviour."

Operant: Winning acts as a positive reinforcer, making behaviour more likely. The fact that the wins are random strengthens this relationship, making it still likely to continue during a period of losses.
(Think of Skinner and his rats pressing levers for food. It's pretty much that.)

Classical: The enjoyment associated with winning is conditioned to the act of playing Bingo, thus, Bingo itself brings her enjoyment.

Winning = Enjoyment
Winning + Bingo = Enjoyment
Therefore, eventually: Bingo = Enjoyment
(Think of Pavlov and his dogs)

To put it simply.
Reply 7
GodspeedGehenna
Operant: Winning acts as a positive reinforcer, making behaviour more likely. The fact that the wins are random strengthens this relationship, making it still likely to continue during a period of losses.
(Think of Skinner and his rats pressing levers for food. It's pretty much that.)

Classical: The enjoyment associated with winning is conditioned to the act of playing Bingo, thus, Bingo itself brings her enjoyment.

Winning = Enjoyment
Winning + Bingo = Enjoyment
Therefore, eventually: Bingo = Enjoyment
(Think of Pavlov and his dogs)

To put it simply.

Would you explain it in terms of both operant and classical conditioning then?

Thanks.
ettolrahc19
The full question was... "What do social learning theorists mean by the term modelling? Give an example of how..." so I'm guessing my answer has to be SLT focused anyway! What is traditional learning theory?

Modelling is a term to describe the shaping of a particular behaviour through reinforcement.

For example, you would train a dog to perform a trick through modelling. Say yo wanted him to roll over. If he sat down, you would give him a treat and make a fuss. Eventually he learns "Oh, okay, so if I lie down I get a treat! I'll do that again."

Once that behaviour is learnt, the "modeller" will no longer reward it as frequently, however if the dog was to lean to one side by chance, he would give a reward and lots of fuss. Repeat until THIS behaviour is learnt.

Eventually you just edge the behaviour more and more to your desired result; in this case, getting him to roll over.
ettolrahc19
Would you explain it in terms of both operant and classical conditioning then?

Thanks.

Yep. They are both major factors of the Behaviourist approach.
ettolrahc19
The full question was... "What do social learning theorists mean by the term modelling? Give an example of how..." so I'm guessing my answer has to be SLT focused anyway! What is traditional learning theory?

After the Social Learning theory was put forward, Operant and Classical conditioning could be refered to as the Traditional learning theories.

Latest

Trending

Trending