The Student Room Group

AVCE ICT Unit 12 Exam

Is anyone else having trouble with the pre-release material for the Unit 12 Internet Systems and Services exam?

I am having trouble using search engines to find information on the topics listed in Task 1. It is not clear whether we are allowed to use any search criteria to find the information or whether we must stick to the criteria given in the task. It is also not clear what should be included in the summary, whether we comment on search engine's ability to find information or summarise the information found.

Task 2 is also misleading. The task asks us to "research the issues involved in registering with an ISP which provides services to businesses." There are many services offered by ISPs including hosting and internet access. Which of these do we comment on? Are we looking at services for Lookers or their customers? This has not been made clear in the scenario.

Task 3 asks us to compare three search engines in terms of speed. This is hard to measure and give an overall evaluation. What is required to get marks in this section? 'It is fast' is simply too plain.

I have forwarded this to Edexcel and they replied with..

"I am unable to assist students directly with their studies, you should speak to your teacher/tutor regarding this matter."

Obviously Edexcel do not care about their students.
Reply 1
Pardip,

[q1]> Is anyone else having trouble with the pre-release material for the[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 12 Internet Systems and Services exam?[/q1]

I hadn't noticed it before, but now you mention it...

[q1]> Task 3 asks us to compare three search engines in terms of speed. This[/q1]
[q1]> is hard to measure and give an overall evaluation. What is required to[/q1]
[q1]> get marks in this section? 'It is fast' is simply too plain.[/q1]

Google gives you the time the search took (usually about 0.1 secs).
Don't know if anyone else is that helpful.

Mark.
Reply 2
"A head teachers' leader has called for Edexcel to be sacked as one of the main examination boards, following a series of blunders."

Someone has finally seen sense. Why wasn't anything done earlier? This is not the first time they have made mistakes. I'm not looking forward to my next lot of EdExcel exams.

In its survey of 200 colleges last August:
67% said Edexcel did not produce their results on time
69% said Edexcel was poor or very poor at responding to queries and concerns
73% still had unresolved issues with the exam body
73% said its performance was deteriorating.

Latest

Trending

Trending