The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Disabled Students Sticky

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pipsi
As far as I am aware, international students are not eligible for DSA and have to apply for help from their own country.

How about EU students?
Original post by dorababy1995
Hi all,

I've been blind since birth and hope to start my A-levels this coming September. Just wondering if there are any other blind students out there?

Hi,

Not blind. But do have various visual impairments and am partially sighted.
Original post by OU Student
Hi,

Not blind. But do have various visual impairments and am partially sighted.

What do you study at uni/college and what support do you get?
What do you study at uni/college and what support do you get?

Not studying yet. I go back in October. When I was studying, I received:
- text-to-speech software
- note taker
- someone to help me to get around
- scanner and printer

All lecture slides, etc. were emailed to me before the lecture so I was able to put them into my preferred format and read them.
Original post by OU Student
Not studying yet. I go back in October. When I was studying, I received:
- text-to-speech software
- note taker
- someone to help me to get around
- scanner and printer

All lecture slides, etc. were emailed to me before the lecture so I was able to put them into my preferred format and read them.

That's great indeed! How much can you see?
That's great indeed! How much can you see?

Enough to get around, just. But I have no depth perception and am colourblind. On a good day, I can read most of the eye chart with my left and a few lines of the eye chart with my right eye. (which always has been very weak compared to the left)

And yourself?
Hi.

I'm completely deaf in my left ear and partially in my right. Anyone know what happens with regards to accommodation as I need smoke alarms that flash/vibrate my pillow???
Original post by abiislame
Hi.

I'm completely deaf in my left ear and partially in my right. Anyone know what happens with regards to accommodation as I need smoke alarms that flash/vibrate my pillow???

Have you contacted whoever owns the accommodation? Action on Hearing Loss (formerly RNID) should have some advice.
Hi.

I have the same issue as you and asked around at loads of uni's. As long as you put your disability down on Ucas they should contact you and that's when you can request one- a dsa should help pay for it if they don't already have one :smile:
Reply 49
Helpful guide about going into Higher Education with a disability: http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/pdf/IntoHE2014.pdf
Hi.

Hi abiislame,

I just came across your message and was wondering if I could help? I'm a Student Ambassador for Kingston University and have a close relationship with our Disabilities department.

I would suggest that you contact all universities you are interested in directly and ask them about services they provide for students who are hard of hearing. Here at Kingston we can arrange a viewing of our rooms for disabled students on open days, our disability team are also accessible so you can ask questions.

The main thing is being somewhere you are comfortable and feel confident.

I hope this helps

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
What kind of support do Uni's offer for students with high degree myopia? Does it differ from uni to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
What kind of support do Uni's offer for students with high degree myopia? Does it differ from uni to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depeds on how you're affected. But it shouldn't vary from uni to uni.
Reply 53
does disability affect your chances of being accepted into a university, if so how much does it affect it?
Original post by Eman5000
does disability affect your chances of being accepted into a university, if so how much does it affect it?

That's illegal. However, with things like medicine, there is fitness to practise.

Quick Reply

Latest