The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its a southern university in terms on is geographical location, from my experience though its not all "posh" and "southern". probably just vicious northern rumours :wink:. still, there are plenty of vicious southern rumours of northerners so i spose its pretty equal :biggrin:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
It does have a reputation for having "rahs" and being public school dominated, yes. However, I'm from a university that has an even worse reputation as a "posh" uni (Durham) and things are never as bad as the stereotype.

I know that, at undergrad level (not postgrad) it's white and middle class dominated. That can't be denied. However, any "rah" like behaviour will come from the minority (albeit a vocal minority).

Also, Notthingham certainly isn't in the north!
Reply 3
Yeah I know but a lot of southerners think it is!
My accent is just regular Midlands, I mean, I say all my Ts and Hs and my friends think that I am posh (ha, not true), but yes I'm just a bit worried about that vocal minority!
I've always been excited about the diversity that uni will offer, I'm quite an Amnesty left wing type, I suppose, so that's what concerns me a little.
Oh well, I'm happy to marry a posh blond rugby boy, I just don't want anyone to turn their noses up at me I guess. :smile:
Reply 4
*My marry thing is a joke btw...
I'm not going to uni to be married off :smile:
Go to self-catered non en-suite and the people wont be that bad at all.

It IS very white, very southern etc ... but it's not that bad a thing. People wont like, hate you for being northern.
Reply 6
exeter isnt that posh...!! guess the uni is seen that way, but i live about an hour away and really the population generally in these parts is not posh as such. more farmer than posh :p:
Reply 7
Ha, this is interesting. I loved Exeter myself for all the reasons the OP said and more! I did find it was very middle-class though, but then all the unis I am applying to tend to be. I don't think this should worry us though when applying, I reckon we're very similar to them in terms of intellect (of course - everyone is applying...) but just perhaps dress a bit differently and come from slightly different backgrounds?
Reply 8
Ha okay these are all good things to know!
It's just, well, although I do come from quite a middle-class background, I can't stand snobbery... hmm... although I'm sure every uni must be diverse to some extent.
The people I've met from Exeter have all been posh. But I've never actually been there so wouldn't know.
Reply 10
You'll be fine. Im at exeter (not their exeter campus but still!) and im sure you have nothing to worry about. These silly cliques don't really continue into uni really. not from what ive experienced, anyway.
I sound like Justin Lee Collins!
Few people with Brummie ish accents around as well.
I have already applied to Exeter anyway so this won't really change my decision but is there a way you can check the private school intake?
Reply 13
sleekchic
I have already applied to Exeter anyway so this won't really change my decision but is there a way you can check the private school intake?

It's 23% private/non-state school students according to the Sunday Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/sunday_times_university_guide/article4768022.ece?token=null&offset=24&page=3

Exeter may have their own more accurate stats, or a more detailed breakdown by school type. 17% lowest social class. If you use any stat (and all are quite limited and don't tell the full story) I'd go with more the "lowest social class" stat, or a combination of the two. Having 27% state school's a bit misleading as there are a fair number of state schools (especially state grammars and faith schools) that can compete with the lower private schools in terms of excellence and social class make up.

Anyway, Exeter's intake of non-state school students is still higher than Oxbridge, Durham, the top University of London unis and Newcastle (just about, I think).

Don't worry about it, even privately educated southerners are pleasent human beings (in the most part). Also Exeter still does have some diversity, especially at postgrad level.
River85

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/sunday_times_university_guide/article4768022.ece?token=null&offset=24&page=3

Exeter may have their own more accurate stats, or a more detailed breakdown by school type. 17% lowest social class. If you use any stat (and all are quite limited and don't tell the full story) I'd go with more the "lowest social class" stat, or a combination of the two. Having 27% state school's a bit misleading as there are a fair number of state schools (especially state grammars and faith schools) that can compete with the lower private schools in terms of excellence and social class make up.

Anyway, Exeter's intake of non-state school students is still higher than Oxbridge, Durham, the top University of London unis and Newcastle (just about, I think).

Don't worry about it, even privately educated southerners are pleasent human beings (in the most part). Also Exeter still does have some diversity, especially at postgrad level.

Alright thank you
Reply 15
All good to know :smile: Thanks for all your help!
River85

That's interesting. It has such a reputation for being a 'middle-class university', and yet Manchester has more private school students than that.
Reply 17
jismith1989
That's interesting. It has such a reputation for being a 'middle-class university', and yet Manchester has more private school students than that.

Actually that should be 27%, I think, not 23. I can't do basic maths. I think Manchester is 23%?

Also Exeter is smaller than Manchester (both the city and university) and this "white, middle class" presence is more visible. But, yes, it is a stereotype and one that, at undergrad level, is based on an element of truth. However, all of the top unis have high non-state intakes (some far more than Exeter). What's more these snobby, Rah types are a minority. Most students aren't like that, whether state or non-state. I think some of it is just inverse snobbey myself.

The postgrad community is something else and I think an expert like Boosh wil be able to tell you more.
The only person I've met who went to Exeter was shamefully posh.
Reply 19
ForMyOwnGain
The only person I've met who went to Exeter was shamefully posh.

Perhaps you should try meeting more than one person from Exeter then? They aren't all posh and some of those posh people are also rather nice.

Latest