The Student Room Group
Hitler didn't wake up one day and decide to kill Jews. There was alot of violence and incidents that sparked it. Ultimatley i think pacifism can work if EVERYONE is a pacifist, but of course if you are a pacifist and someone else is not, and they try to push your buttons it wont work.
Reply 2
Pacifism on a global scale is impossible, it's just not in Human nature
donmcl777
Pacifism on a global scale is impossible, it's just not in Human nature

I'd say it is almost inevitable.

What do you mean by 'pacifism' and 'war'?

We may be using different definitions.
Of course it's possible.
Reply 5
Invictus_88
I'd say it is almost inevitable.

What do you mean by 'pacifism' and 'war'?

We may be using different definitions.

I didnt use the word war, war is a consequence of emotion, My point is that primal human emotion prevents pacifism on even a personal scale, magnify that by millions and what are you left with. On a global scale the world and our race in general are just too volatile for pacifism to ever become a reality.
Reply 6
rockrunride
Of course it's possible.

How?????:confused:
Reply 7
When one shows weakness he invites others to take advantage of this. Pacifism is this weakness, and leads to far more deaths than proper foreign policy.
Reply 8
It could only work internationally, perhaps through the humanist movement.

I think it unlikely though.
donmcl777
How?????:confused:

It's unlikely because of all the conflicting interests, but having a Palestinian state would go a long way to contribute. Personally I think Iran would back down subsequently.

Also, if NATO disbanded it would probably go a long way, but that will never happen.
Reply 10
rockrunride
It's unlikely because of all the conflicting interests, but having a Palestinian state would go a long way to contribute. Personally I think Iran would back down subsequently.

Also, if NATO disbanded it would probably go a long way, but that will never happen.

I doubt a free palestine or disbanding Nato would have any effect, a new problem would arise. Pacifism is a great idea in theory, but so is communism, and look waht happened there. I believe there is just no way it would ever work, unless we all became robots or something.Which would be cool :ninja:
donmcl777
I doubt a free palestine or disbanding Nato would have any effect, a new problem would arise. Pacifism is a great idea in theory, but so is communism, and look waht happened there. I believe there is just no way it would ever work, unless we all became robots or something.Which would be cool :ninja:

Actually, peace between Israel and Palestine would create a domino effect. It would be the start of something amazing; but still unlikely.
Reply 12
rockrunride
Actually, peace between Israel and Palestine would create a domino effect. It would be the start of something amazing; but still unlikely.

It wouldnt create a domino effect at all. You think that if Isreal makes peace with palestine, that the world will become peaceful. it just wouldnt happen. There is some much international tension at the moment ready to boil over between so many different countries that dont give two ***** about the isreal palestine conflict. China/taiwan. Russia/Georgia. India/Pakistan. N Korea/ S Korea. America/Everybody. I could go on and on. Peace between Isreal and Palestine would cool the middle east a little, but all the Muslim states believe that Isreal shouldnt be there and it just does not have a right to exist. The partition and Isreals subsequent border expansion an incredibly huge insult to the Muslim world and one that i dont think it can ever forgive. Iran would not back down and i doubt any of the fanatics would either.
donmcl777
It wouldnt create a domino effect at all. You think that if Isreal makes peace with palestine, that the world will become peaceful. it just wouldnt happen. There is some much international tension at the moment ready to boil over between so many different countries that dont give two ***** about the isreal palestine conflict. China/taiwan. Russia/Georgia. India/Pakistan. N Korea/ S Korea. America/Everybody. I could go on and on. Peace between Isreal and Palestine would cool the middle east a little, but all the Muslim states believe that Isreal shouldnt be there and it just does not have a right to exist. The partition and Isreals subsequent border expansion an incredibly huge insult to the Muslim world and one that i dont think it can ever forgive. Iran would not back down and i doubt any of the fanatics would either.

Actually, forgiveness is one of the main Muslim fundamentals. If they agreed on a dual state, or made two states from it, I think that Iran would definitely back down towards the US, especially. As the main Zionist state apart from Israel itself, I think that the US would get some brownie points from the rest of the world if they actively sought solutions, which they don't, unfortunately.

I think that the China/Taiwan and Korea conflicts will wear out eventually, as the USSR eventually disbanded and Germany is now unified and at peace, so I think time will heal these problems.

As for Russia and Georgia and India and Pakistan, again America is trying to influence Georgian politics. It is largely down to them to seek the peace with Russia. They could also help with a Kashmir settlement.

IMHO, peace rests on the shoulders of the US at the moment.
donmcl777
I didnt use the word war, war is a consequence of emotion, My point is that primal human emotion prevents pacifism on even a personal scale, magnify that by millions and what are you left with. On a global scale the world and our race in general are just too volatile for pacifism to ever become a reality.

See, I meant pacifism in the sense of 'peace' - a state of warlessness.

I don't see that aggression is necessarily an impediment to a future state of warlessness.
Reply 15
rockrunride
Actually, forgiveness is one of the main Muslim fundamentals. If they agreed on a dual state, or made two states from it, I think that Iran would definitely back down towards the US, especially. As the main Zionist state apart from Israel itself, I think that the US would get some brownie points from the rest of the world if they actively sought solutions, which they don't, unfortunately.

Muslim fundamentals are only used when it suits the higher politics of these states. It is one of the strongest beliefs among the powers in the middle east including Saudi Arabia, one of Americas stronger allies, that Isreal should not be there and doesnt have a right to exist no matter how many agreements America engineer. Having visited the middle east a few times myself and making the mistake of mentioning isreal in conversation, i can tell you the hate towards thisa country goes down to the lowest echelons of society.

rockrunride
I think that the China/Taiwan and Korea conflicts will wear out eventually, as the USSR eventually disbanded and Germany is now unified and at peace, so I think time will heal these problems.

Or make them worse

rockrunride
As for Russia and Georgia and India and Pakistan, again America is trying to influence Georgian politics. It is largely down to them to seek the peace with Russia. They could also help with a Kashmir settlement.

IMHO, peace rests on the shoulders of the US at the moment.

The rivalry between the US and Rusiia builds every day, with nobody able to deny that Americas position as a global power is diminishing, while countries liike Russia, China and India, grow. America does not have the Global outreach, power or reputation that it enjoyed throughout the nineties and pre 2001 to shuolder the burden of world peace. I believe that soon America will be overshadowed as these other powers finally become equal with the US, and they take on this burden, but the real question is, do they want it?

Latest

Trending

Trending