The Student Room Group
Maybe look through worked examples in your textbooks or find exam papers and the mark schemes and try to understand the method by which the mark scheme answers the question. Once you've learnt the method you'll be able to apply it to any like situation.
Reply 2
0 div curl F
Maybe look through worked examples in your textbooks or find exam papers and the mark schemes and try to understand the method by which the mark scheme answers the question. Once you've learnt the method you'll be able to apply it to any like situation.

I've been doing that for ages. It's weird, I see a new question and I just can't do it, until I look at the solution and it's so obvious. :frown:
Its a difficult thing to cure, I personally think things like this only come with practice just like a lot of topics in maths; the more questions you do/the more questions you see answered the better you become at answering them/using the correct method.
Reply 4
Draconis
I'm doing AS Physics, and I'm having trouble with questions from all over the unit really (Edexcel). Everytime I read through the book I understand everything it says, I really feel that I know how to do questions, but when I do past exam papers it's just too confusing, and I don't know what to do. Any help? :s-smilie:

Is your problem that you can do maths just fine, but when they bring words and real life situations into it you just lose the plot?

If so, when answering a questions, jot down all the numerical info they give you and maybe some equations that link them and then see. :dontknow:

Don't check the answers!
I used to do that, and thought I could do it, and then realised that actually, I couldn't!
Personally, I write down the letters for the quantities I've been given, for example, if given 5 Amps and 3 Volts, I write down IV and know P=IV and V=IR, then I look at what's being asked for. If it's conductance, I know that I can use V=IR, as it has resistance, and I know that Conductance =1/Resistance.
Hope that made sense.
Also, I keep little sheets of all the equations I need and get tested on them until I can recite them perfectly. :smile:
Reply 6
OMG... I had exactly the same problem when I started IB. There were so many random concepts in physics. My overall first impression of physics was that this subject was shockingly difficult... however, it did get easier after half a year. Everything in the book became less gibberish and I understood the basics behind physics, although I still had problems applying theory to real life.

I did really bad in the term test this year, and I mean REALLY bad!!!! However, now I feel that physics is my one of my strongest subjects (5 months after the term test). What really changed my grade is my "attitude" towards it. If you can understand the concepts in the book, then I believe you can apply them to problems. All you need is some confidence and the optimism of that you can do this. It is also important that you have the right ambitions... if physics is one of the subjects you find of great importance, then there's no doubt that you'll be a successful student after some months or so.

knowledge + confidence + ambition = success :yep:
Reply 7
You need to understand 'what' your doing and 'why' your doing it and what it actually means. You can just learn Physics (well you can to get A in A level... but not beyond that) you must Become Physics.

What I mean is; better your understanding and you will find things a lot easier. (that's not just understanding what the things say in the booklets, but a deeper understanding - always pushing it to the next level, asking questions etc)
Seriously, this time last year I couldn't do PPQs at all - it just comes with time and practice and knowing the what the mark scheme wants from questions on certain topics.

For example, on ultrasound questions, you can always get a mark from saying coupling gel is used to reduce the amount of the wave reflected at the boundary entering the body (or something like that - I haven't done any of it in 6 months) and there are just bullet points you need to tick off.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies, really helped :smile:
I'm sort of in the same boat as you OP. I'm on edexcel aswell...What textbook(s) do you have? I only have Edexcel AS physics student's book, it has a red front cover, it's pretty basic, it's good but...it doesn't give you answers to questions or anything. I could do one with more practise questions with answers. And if you could help me out getting some past papers that'd be great. Because like I said, I'm in the same boat as you OP and would like a headstart with the exam in January. My teacher will probably give us past papers but not till like...late december.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 11
danielharris627
I'm sort of in the same boat as you OP. I'm on edexcel aswell...What textbook(s) do you have? I only have Edexcel AS physics student's book, it has a red front cover, it's pretty basic, it's good but...it doesn't give you answers to questions or anything. I could do one with more practise questions with answers. And if you could help me out getting some past papers that'd be great. Because like I said, I'm in the same boat as you OP and would like a headstart with the exam in January. My teacher will probably give us past papers but not till like...late december.
Good luck! :smile:

Yeah, I have the same book. I don't have the past papers on my computer, sorry :frown:
Reply 12
If you need past papers, my teacher loaned me a program that contains all the exam questions from exams between '99 to 2005. They may be a bit outdated (didn't the course change this year?) but if you'd like some just ask and I'll send some.

Latest