The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

abc101
Because African-American is generally used to denote people with heritage quite unlike Obama's. I also dislike the use of a term joining a country to a continent - you wouldn't call someone with an English mother and American father 'European-American,' you'd call them 'English-American.'

No you wouldn't. You'd call them American.
Reply 41
SomeNextPirate
No you wouldn't. You'd call them American.

Nope.
abc101
Nope.

What are you talking about. The term English-American is practically never used.
abc101
Because African-American is generally used to denote people with heritage quite unlike Obama's. I also dislike the use of a term joining a country to a continent.

I think It makes more sense to call people who have origins in African, African-American after all It have been done for centuries and by millions around the world. As you know there are 54 countries in Africa :p: an don't you think It is easier to identify someone by the continent and not by each individual country in Africa.
Reply 44
SomeNextPirate
What are you talking about. The term English-American is practically never used.

And the term African-American is often incorrectly used.

I'm mixed-race myself and include both parts of my heritage when saying what I am, I wouldn't do someone else the disrespect of completely ignoring one half of their make-up.
imomo16
Tell me what you mean when you say half caste?
You mean when Tchaikovsky mix the black key and the white key is a half caste symphony?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :smile:

LOL I loved GCSE English Lit :biggrin:
Reply 46
History Rocks
I think It makes more sense to call people who have origins in African, African-American after all It have been done for centuries and by millions around the world. As you know there are 54 countries in Africa :p: an don't you think It is easier to identify someone by the continent and not by each individual country in Africa.

No, because by doing so you act as if all of Africa is the same. An Egyptian is completely different to a man from Lesotho, a South African and a man from Djibouti do not have a great deal in common. It's disrespectful and it's plain stupid - Africa is an incredibly diverse continent and it is ridiculous to identify someone by which continent their country happens to be in, instead of the country they actually come from.
abc101
And the term African-American is often incorrectly used.

I'm mixed-race myself and include both parts of my heritage when saying what I am, I wouldn't do someone else the disrespect of completely ignoring one half of their make-up.

African-American = an American of African decent.

You are saying that it means someone descended from slaves? Sorry, that's not what it means - it is what it is commonly perceived to mean.

Irrelevant anyway, even it it was misused you cant just say that people of english decent are referred to as English-Americans...because they aren't white american citizens are referred to simply as Americans.
Reply 48
SomeNextPirate
African-American = an American of African decent.

You are saying that it means someone descended from slaves? Sorry, that's not what it means - it is what it is commonly perceived to mean.

Irrelevant anyway, even it it was misused you cant just say that people of english decent are referred to as English-Americans...because they aren't white american citizens are referred to simply as Americans.

'An American of African descent' denotes a different heritage to someone who has one American parent and one Kenyan parent. 'African-American' is not used to describe people of mixed race.
abc101
Because African-American is generally used to denote people with heritage quite unlike Obama's.

I agree with what you say but if you actually look at that wikipedia article I posted, almost all African-Americans are of part European heritage.
By "genetic" chance, Obama doesn't look that different to many "African-Americans".
Colin Powell, for example, is practically white if we're talking skin colour (he's a distant cousin of George Bush) yet seems to be considered African-American by many.
But you're right that he doesn't have their cultural heritage. In his biography he does state that he attempted to understand their culture and history though.

abc101
I also dislike the use of a term joining a country to a continent - you wouldn't call someone with an English mother and American father 'European-American,' you'd call them 'English-American.'

English-American usually refers to people of mostly English descent. Because most English and British settlers arrived in the US a long time ago, there are very few Americans who are mostly English, with that heritage having been mixed by many others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_American

Plus to be honest, it's not particularly cool in the US to say that you're of English descent. All the wannabe cool kids want to say they're Irish, Italian, Porto-Rican...at least in New England that's the case.
abc101
It's disrespectful and it's plain stupid

This is complete nonsense my grand father is from Africa and would refer himself as African and not Nigerian, an would never think of someone being disrespectful if they called him African

Oh I'm sorry if I and the millions of people around the do not refer to Americans with African heritage as Kenyan-American, Algeria-American, Swaziland-American etc, I suppose millions of us are all stupid.
abc101
'An American of African descent' denotes a different heritage to someone who has one American parent and one Kenyan parent. 'African-American' is not used to describe people of mixed race.

The term African-American = someone who is an American with African heritage.

Obama is an African-American. He may not however be classed correctly as being Black.

Sorry but he is an African-American.
SomeNextPirate
because they aren't white american citizens are referred to simply as Americans.

Um you clearly have not experienced thousands of Americans insisted to you that they're:
Irish-American ("My great great Grandpa was from County Limerick."... nevermind the fact that the rest is German and English :rolleyes: )
Italian-American
Polish-American
Russian-American
Spanish-American
Although the core of white Americans are of British, Irish and German descent, they all love to find some ancestor that makes them a bit "exotic".

SomeNextPirate
Sorry but he is an African-American.

You're right, technically he is.

But he does have a very different culture, history and background to pretty much all other African-Americans. African-Americans don't identity themselves only through their skin colour but also through their culture and history. You will even find certain African-Americans in the South who accept that a white person can embrace African-American culture. It's not all about the skin colour/ethnicity.
Reply 53
History Rocks
This is complete nonsense my grand father is from Africa and would refer himself as African and not Nigerian, an would never think of someone being disrespectful if they called him African

Oh I'm sorry if I and the millions of people around the do not refer to Americans with African heritage as Kenyan-American, Algeria-American, Swaziland-American etc, I suppose millions of us are all stupid.

Show me a English person who would refer to themselves as 'European' instead of English. Would anyone? No. And should they? No. People should refer to themselves by where they actually come from, not dumb it down because the vast majority of people are too stupid to understand Africa is not a country.
SamTheMan
Um you clearly have not experienced thousands of Americans insisted to you that they're:
Irish-American ("My great great Grandpa was from County Limerick."... nevermind the fact that the rest is German and English :rolleyes: )
Italian-American
Polish-American
Russian-American
Spanish-American
Although the core of white Americans are of British, Irish and German descent, they all love to find some ancestor that makes them a bit "exotic".

Yes that does exist, but when in the media and other political/nationalistic events/concerns/statistics the White population is referred to as American NOT Italian/English/Spanish/Russian-American. Black people are ALWAYS referred to as African-American.

I really do see the point in you contesting this, as that is the reality of what happens.
SamTheMan
You're right, technically he is.

But he does have a very different culture, history and background to pretty much all other African-Americans. African-Americans don't identity themselves only through their skin colour but also through their culture and history. You will even find certain African-Americans in the South who accept that a white person can embrace African-American culture. It's not all about the skin colour/ethnicity.

What's your point?

He is an African-American, stop denying it.
abc101
Show me a English person who would refer to themselves as 'European' instead of English. Would anyone? No. And should they? No.

You are going off topic, this thread is clearly focusing on African-Americans.

abc101
People should refer to themselves by where they actually come from, not dumb it down because the vast majority of people are too stupid to understand Africa is not a country.

Oh what nonsense.

African-American's is the correct term to identify Americans with African origions. :yep:

Whether you like it or not that's the way is it.
If you speak to Barack Obama or even university lecturers, doctors or professors throughout the country I am sure they would agree.
What do you mean by talking/ acting black?
MasterJomi
What do you mean by talking/ acting black?

Acting:knifing people, having oversized trousers below ones arse, hood up,

talking: speaks with a faux Caribbean accent.
SomeNextPirate
What's your point?

He is an African-American, stop denying it.

I said he is, technically. Noone is denying anything when pointing out that he does not have the common history and background of most African-Americans. The fact he didn't have any African or African-American relatives during his upbringing makes him quite different. Just because he happens to have some African DNA doesn't mean he's just like any African-American.

It is possible to see things in a different way than in black-and-white (no pun intended).

Latest

Trending

Trending