The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

katiepickles

I'm mixed race, and try to keep myself as far away as possible from the 'black' culture. I think that a lot of them are too scared to step out of it and become an individual. I dress, say, and listen to whatever I like- a lot of black and mixed race peope don't know how to approach me because I'm different to them. Personally, I find that hilarious :smile:. I make friends with who I want, not particularly somebody the same race, to stay in my 'comfort zone' so to speak.

It makes sense. It's a human reaction to want to categorise people. People get uncomfortable when they don't know how to place you... they're a lot more comfortable when they've filed you into a little box inside their brain.
I admire anyone who stresses their individuality in the face of conformism.
Mixed race ladies, :biggrin: . Stiffy.
MasterJomi
He's not black either.

Going back to the original topic.
In Cape Town, South Africa; in Louisiana, in the Caribbean, there's a clear identity for people who are of mixed-race. In our mostly white countries there isn't.
It's only since 2001 that the British census recognises "mixed-race" as an ethnicity...
People's mentalities are not easily changed and so we're still stuck with the mainstream media calling anyone who has some African blood, whether it be their both parents who are African/of African descent, or maybe just one parent, or even only one grand-parent...

It is essentially the "One-Drop Rule" that is alive and well in people's minds, consciously or unconsciously... what bothers me is that some people tell us that somehow we just have to accept this state of affairs and that it is basically "wrong" to not call someone of mixed-race (African/European) black...
imomo16
Tell me what you mean when you say half caste?
You mean when Tchaikovsky mix the black key and the white key is a half caste symphony?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :smile:

Ohh that brings back memories:biggrin:

And it's their choice - it's up to them who they make friends with. Maybe they have more in common with certain people?
But Obama isn't white.

Yeah, true.

The media has never question Obama's blackness they have never said Is Obama black enough?

Why is there alot of negativity towards black people on TSR? There was a thread devoted to 95% of blacks voting Obama, and the OP totally ignored the fact that its just 5% more then Kerry did.

Maybe, white people are scared, first Lewis wins formula one, then Obama becomes president, finally the new doctor who is going to be a black man.
Reply 85
MasterJomi
He's not black either.

I know; I never said he was. :p:
Simplicity

Maybe, white people are scared, first Lewis wins formula one, then Obama becomes president, finally the new doctor who is going to be a black man.

Lewis Hamilton is mixed race too.....:rolleyes:

So following your logic the next doctor who will be...Craig Charles
Just out of curiosity, how would people perceive Rachida Jones in terms of whether she's black/white/mixed-race? Would people say she's African American? http://www.dominomag.com/images/galleries/housetour/gasl_rashida_jones_03.jpg, daughter of famous music producer Quincy Jones
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-04/38017161.jpg

Or someone like Nicole Ritchie?

Here's Obama with his African half-siblings and grandmother:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/R8pI2T1j_9I/AAAAAAAALtA/VNChaFIFAr0/s400/barack+family+in+africa.jpg

So when does someone become "black" in the eyes of the media? I'm just curious to see what people's views are..
SamTheMan
Just out of curiosity, how would people perceive Rachida Jones in terms of whether she's black/white/mixed-race? Would people say she's African American? http://www.dominomag.com/images/galleries/housetour/gasl_rashida_jones_03.jpg, daughter of famous music producer Quincy Jones
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-04/38017161.jpg

Or someone like Nicole Ritchie?

Here's Obama with his African half-siblings and grandmother:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/R8pI2T1j_9I/AAAAAAAALtA/VNChaFIFAr0/s400/barack+family+in+africa.jpg

So when does someone become "black" in the eyes of the media? I'm just curious to see what people's views are..

You do know Nicole Ritchie is adopted right? :s-smilie:

And obviously the first person is mixed race.
You know Jade Goody has a black grand parent. You can definitly tell if you look at her bone structure.
You know Jade Goody has a black grand parent. You can definitly tell if you look at her bone structure.

Not really.
WOLLSMOTH
He's not the president yet.

:fan:
I love you.
Blue Rose
I don't know. And there is no such thing as talking black as there are many people of other races that talk the same way.
From what I've seen is that it can depend on what race their mother is, pretty much all mixed race people I know with a black mother hang out with black people and follow black culture.Also I've found that some black groups aren't accepting of mixed race people that hang out with white people (in the instance of black and white as opposed to black and asian or other mixes of races).

It can be the overall family dynamics, as in how the family is as a whole in terms of culture and family life, predominantly one race or the other. Like which side has the biggest influence.

It can be whatever the child likes more, some people take to one culture and reject the other so then you could have mixed race siblings that culturally and behaviourally are very different.

I disagree. Most of the mixed race people I know have white mothers and they tend to act more "black".
SomeNextPirate
You do know Nicole Ritchie is adopted right? :s-smilie:

And obviously the first person is mixed race.

You see, when I saw Rachida Jones in NY-LON and then in Boston Public and the Office (US version), I didn't have a clue she was the daughter of Quincy Jones...
Nicole was adopted by Lionel Ritchie but she's not entirely of European origin.
I just don't quite get these "secret" rules that people apply to decide when you start calling someone black or white. I'm acting naive on purpose so people can provide a clear answer but at the same time, I honestly don't know. I've had so many people tell me "Obama is black, it's so obvious. look at him. Can't you see?" Not that any of this particularly matters especially as, although I've never heard Obama refer to himself as black (African-American, yes), I'm not sure he'd mind that description anyway.

I'm surprised and pleased to see on this thread that some people agree that you can't classify someone of mixed heritage as simply white or black.
jacy_babi
I disagree. Most of the mixed race people I know have white mothers and they tend to act more "black".

I have given other possible reasons. That wasn't my only viewpoint.
Reply 95
Simplicity
Yeah, true.

The media has never question Obama's blackness they have never said Is Obama black enough?

Why is there alot of negativity towards black people on TSR? There was a thread devoted to 95% of blacks voting Obama, and the OP totally ignored the fact that its just 5% more then Kerry did.

really? i didn't know that. who is it going to be?
jaydoh
Why do people who are mixed race consider themselves black, when the majority of them are a mix of white and black? Like Obama...he isn't wholly black but yet people say he is the first "black" president.

Don't generalise, some people do, some people don't. It depend on your upbringing - a mixed race kid with a fully white family is highly unlikely to identify as black.
Mixed race people in the media sometimes do it for publicity and to make it seem like they are "breaking racial barriers", but other times they are portrayed as black by media when they probably identify as biracial.

I'm mixed-race and personally identify as such (or mulatto) but if I'm being honest I think a lot of my friends/people I know see me as either coloured or black, with a few seeing me for what I am - mixed. This is probably because they're white (countryside = not a lot of blacks) and don't have any actual black friends...

i.e. I moved here a while ago ago from a mostly black school to a school with 700 students, around 6 of which were "coloured" - 1 black person at a stretch (white mother but she was tanned from living in a foreign country so I don't know if she was black or a tanned mixed-race girl.)
SomeNextPirate
What are you talking about. The term English-American is practically never used.

What about calling them English???

And don't give me any of that "you are what your father is" rubbish :hmmm:
Reply 98
Blue Rose
I don't know. And there is no such thing as talking black as there are many people of other races that talk the same way.
From what I've seen is that it can depend on what race their mother is, pretty much all mixed race people I know with a black mother hang out with black people and follow black culture.
Also I've found that some black groups aren't accepting of mixed race people that hang out with white people (in the instance of black and white as opposed to black and asian or other mixes of races).

It can be the overall family dynamics, as in how the family is as a whole in terms of culture and family life, predominantly one race or the other. Like which side has the biggest influence.

It can be whatever the child likes more, some people take to one culture and reject the other so then you could have mixed race siblings that culturally and behaviourally are very different.

You've definately got that the wrong way round. Its mostly the mixed race people with a black mother who act "white" and vice versa in the other case. Therefore considering mixed race people with a white mother clearly outnumbers those with a black mother, from the above observation your likely to get more mixed race pople acting , "black"

All in all though, I think its all aload of bullocks. People should act how they want and not conform to what a particular group of people are supposed to act like.
T.G.O.A.T
You've definately got that the wrong way round. Its mostly the mixed race people with a black mother who act "white" and vice versa in the other case. Therefore considering mixed race people with a white mother clearly outnumbers those with a black mother, from the above observation your likely to get more mixed race pople acting , "black"

All in all though, I think its all aload of bullocks. People should act how they want and not conform to what a particular group of people are supposed to act like.

Gosh, all the people saying "YOU ARE WRONG" notice that I said "from what I've seen" and I was just trying to put across possible reasons, obviously I'm not going to be spot on, I don't know the answers anymore than anyone else.
You can't say that "it's mostly mixed race people with a black mother who act white and vice versa" anymore than what I said because again, that's from what you've seen but the number of mixed race people you've seen is the minority compared to the number of mixed race people that exist in britain or the world.

I didn't say it in a matter-of-fact way, was just saying what Ive seen and what I think. You can't prove me wrong and I can't prove you wrong either unless you did a questionnaire on all mixed race people in britain which isn't happening.

Chill people. Chill.:cool:

I agree with what you said at the end though. Totally :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending