The Student Room Group

Anyone else understand how you can get 12 A* at GCSE?

In retrospect, GCSE’s were indeed easy and achieving an A* in them is completely attainable. However what school did these people go to; grammar or a private school. When I was at school we did not learn, our main aim was the exact opposite. School is the last time we are allowed to misbehave, rebel challenge authority and you know what I loved it and they were the happiest days of my life. I wouldn’t trade them for 12 A* at GCSE, an offer from LSE or Edinburgh because I played the fool and it was hilarious. So how and why did you do it? How could you be that focused and determined ( well I suppose most of you had a supportive family, didn’t go to mad parties ). I blossomed at college as I am sure many others on TSR did and I am just fed up with all of the people with A* and real nice lives, stealing my place at university!

I feel slightly comforted now.

Scroll to see replies

It's more than possible to get 12A* and 'misbehave, rebel and challenge authority' in school.
Reply 2
How? By being a complete social disaster.....
There There.. Let it all out..
Reply 4
Economist1
It's more than possible to get 12A* and 'misbehave, rebel and challenge authority' in school.

Really ...
Aack

Not at all. You have to admit that getting A* in any given subject is not that difficult or time consuming - you don't have to get the top result in the country to get the top grade. It's just about being a little careful and ensuring you don't slip a grade in a random subject.
Reply 6
I guess the easy way is to have a knack for languages.

Aack

Um, no. :s-smilie:
Reply 7
nope, i do it quite well :smile:

but why i'm aiming for a 43/45 in IB? i've always done well in school, since i started and was too young to misbehave proper. and when you're a girl in junior school you're not gonna fight people, arguing over a football goal.... :wink:
why waste the success that i had as a little girl?
i've grown so accustomed to doing well in school, not doing would be a huge blow to me, and to my pride tbh! :o:
i can't thing of the word, but i have this need in me to be the best (:rolleyes: ) and that counts for school to

but i'm sorry to the people who study on saturday nights... weekends are weekends, and holidays are holidays. and weekends and holidays = PARTYYY!!! :yep:
Reply 8
Good teaching, hard work, intelligence, and a bit of luck somewhere down the line. Simple as.
Reply 9
they worked hard thats all. Many peopel dotn realise the importance of this untill college/6th form so u just piss about meaning u dont gain the GCSE u could av
Reply 10
The obvious response to this is..."you can do both"...but IMO thats not really true for that many people - very few indeed.

I think the answer is that people just don't see it like you do..., a lot of people think that their futures are important than what they do in year 10 and 11 and also there's no need to rebel and misbehave at all, you can have fun in ways that don't interfere with studies.
yep.... managed to get close whilst still going out every friday and saturday night, doing far too many extra-curriculars and sport and having a ball of a time. But it did take a lot of hardwork at the right times. [the only reason i am here now is because i have been ill for the last 3 days ... having stayed up all night to watch the US elections... and so am enjoying a night in]

my future is important, so why waste it? It just means having to make some sacrifices at specific times of the year - i.e. april to june
It's okay, we aren't all A* students on here so don't worry. It's just the minority. :yep: We shall never know how they do it. It might also be down to their subjects actually eg. some are double award and therefore they get more GCSEs for it :p:
Reply 13
I got 11 A*s, and was well-behaved etc. I did a fair few extra-curricular things. But I know people who got loads of A*s, around 9 or 10, who didn't work too hard during the year, but just worked really hard around exam time.
Adalia
i've grown so accustomed to doing well in school, not doing would be a huge blow to me, and to my pride tbh! :o:
i can't thing of the word, but i have this need in me to be the best (:rolleyes: ) and that counts for school to

soooo true!
never thought of it like that but yeah i feel exactly that way too!
Reply 15
DaveJ
I got 11 A*s, and was well-behaved etc. I did a fair few extra-curricular things. But I know people who got loads of A*s, around 9 or 10, who didn't work too hard during the year, but just worked really hard around exam time.

dont apply for medicine...apply for economics and be rich instead!
Reply 16
Ha, I can understand gettin 12A*s with no problem, but what I dont get AT ALL is how you can then go on to get rejected from UCL for Economics! Economist1! My heart goes out to you!
I got 10 and I went to a Grammar. If I'm honest, it's a better test of intelligence than A-Levels. That's why the best universities will take them quite seriously.
I worked reasonably hard for them. You have to be quite clever as well, obvs, but it's a pretty equal mixture of both.
We did barely any work in class. I went out loads. I had an awesome time, and I got 10 in difficult circumstances: deaths, serious illness etc.
Don't be so harsh on people who've worked for something. If you wouldn't swap your happy memories for straight A*s then they're not stealing your university place, because without good grades it could never be yours.
Saying that, though, I didn't work anywhere near as hard as alot of people who did worse, so you can hate me for that little injustice right there, but on the whole just chill.
Vazzyb
dont apply for medicine...apply for economics and be rich instead!

:ditto:
I managed 9 - and trust me, I had a social life.
Might've managed an extra couple in Core ICT/RS if we'd done them - we did enough of them both anyway.
It's perfectly possible to do both, I'd expect.

Latest

Trending

Trending