The Student Room Group

Hurdle with reapplying - Need some urgent advice

I sat my A-Levels last year, did okay, now at university. However, ive decided im not happy here and would like to apply somewhere better.

I achieved CDD last year in my A-Levels and have decided to redo Maths and Economics from scratch and keep the C in English. The personal statement ive written is something i put a huge amount effort in and i can say its pretty good as a result

However that doesnt change the fact that im only doing two subjects, if i were to do my best, the most i can end up with are two As and a C from last year, but again im only doing two subjects in a single year.

How will this affect my chances?
Hmm bump, realy need help guys = (
depends on where you wanna go i think
Reply 3
And what you are planning to do! I take it you have dropped out of university for this year?
Im looking at Manchester and Liverpool, i know i am aiming quite high, but then again if i actually want some satisfaction im going to have to and equally put in the amount of work.

I plan to do Economics in both places. Liverpool is asking for 300 points and Manchester 320. Again, the very most i can get are 2 As this year, im not saying i will, but thats the absolute maximum, if i were to it would leave me with the grades AAC which is 320 points. The problem is, how will they view that C?
Reply 5
I'd say you have more of a problem than that, to be honest.

Have you checked out the economics forum on here? I'm going to suggest your thread is moved into it as you will get more informed responses there. You would find it particularly helpful to look at the threads on entry requirements and personal statements, posted by Paulwhy.
Reply 6
FirstDiscovery
I sat my A-Levels last year, did okay, now at university. However, ive decided im not happy here and would like to apply somewhere better.

I achieved CDD last year in my A-Levels and have decided to redo Maths and Economics from scratch and keep the C in English. The personal statement ive written is something i put a huge amount effort in and i can say its pretty good as a result

However that doesnt change the fact that im only doing two subjects, if i were to do my best, the most i can end up with are two As and a C from last year, but again im only doing two subjects in a single year.

How will this affect my chances?

So why have you got CDD at A-level?
(e.g. what happened at AS?)

Secondly why the decision to only retake 2 A-levels?
As you point out yourself, at best you will end up with unbalanced grades.
Well it hardly matters, CDD is what i got, didnt work hard enough, and i hated school.

As for retaking 2 A-Levels, its simply because ive got a C, a reasonable grade so im keeping. Again, im not saying i can get 2 As, or an A and a B, but im just asking, how will i be considered if i were too. Im applying independently though i can get a reference from the head of the Media department at Liverpool John Moores University.

As ive said, im aiming high, but ive got little choice.
Reply 8
FirstDiscovery
Well it hardly matters, CDD is what i got, didnt work hard enough, and i hated school.

As for retaking 2 A-Levels, its simply because ive got a C, a reasonable grade so im keeping. Again, im not saying i can get 2 As, or an A and a B, but im just asking, how will i be considered if i were too. Im applying independently though i can get a reference from the head of the Media department at Liverpool John Moores University.

As ive said, im aiming high, but ive got little choice.

Without resiiting your 3rd A-level I don't think you have much chance of getting into an ABB.1 uni like Manchester. i.e. by their standards a C is not enough. But with a 3rd retake I do think you have areasonable chance; So the choice is yours.

with your 2 retakes I think you have some chance at the ABB.2 and BBB.1 levels, a good chance at ABB.3, and BBB.2 levels. So maybe go for:
Manchester
2 ABB.2/BBB.1
2 ABB.3/BBB.2
Thank you very much, its given me a lot of peace, i can now work knowing i have a chance. One question though, my predicted grades, i can make up absolutely anything, how will the judge me as to if i really can achieve any grades with my two retakes?

Again i have the reference which will help, but im still applying independently. My GCSE grades are pretty good too (3 As, 4 Bs, C, D, E, i did Triple Science, A in Physics, English Lit, Maths) nothing amazing but okay, will they take that into consideration?

Sorry if im asking a few too many questions but given im doing it independently im guessing i cant leave any detail unnoticed.

Thanks in advance
Reply 10
I am not an expert on UCAS applications. But I would have thought your teachers would give the predictions. If you don't have teaching, then yes the predictions are pretty worthless. :smile:

Also all I did was look at the tariff distribution data for 2007 for BBB and ABB unis. (This is available on the spreadsheet version of TAELT)

Latest

Trending

Trending