The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CwSj
Thanks for the reassurance. This isn't a "oooh look at my grades" thread... I guess I'm just paranoid as I see my friends pile up their extra-curricular plaudits :P

Do you do anything extra-curricular that isn't work experience type stuff?

Not that I think it's that important to an application but work + work experience in care environment + academic extra-curriculars = may drive you mad...
CwSj
Basically I want some reassurance that I'm doing enough stuff to put on my UCAS to apply for Medicine at Oxford/Cambridge next year.

GCSEs : 10A*
AS (did last year): French - A - 270/280
AS (doing now): Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, F. Maths
A2 (doing French this year but all other next year): Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, French, maybe F. Maths (depending on how I like it this year)
I'm reasonably confident of A* grades in all except F. Maths (providing I work hard, that is.)

Extra Curricular : Volunteer work at a hospital (will have done 3 years solid by UCAS time); BioEthics soc.; Work experience shadowing a doctor (1 week done this year, will do more next year); I also plan to do work experience in a care home, as well as attending MedLink (or similar) courses.

Sorry if this sounds a bit paranoid and needy, but I'd rather take suggestions now while I still have time to make a meaningful contribution towards them.

Lol, what else can you do??
Reply 22
Don't stress and seriously there are other universities out their other than oxbridge. It's fair enough to have ambition but don't get too hung up on it...
May I just add that you can be the most wonderful academic in the world but you also need to have the personal traits that will make you a good doctor as well - unless you just want to be a surgeon!
Just two points really... Firstly, don't bother going to Medlink , its a complete waste of time and money. And secondly, do you have time for a social life at all? I know that if I was doing six subjects when I was in AS/A2 year I would've struggled to get a good balance. Universities like a well-rounded applicant, and I'm concerned that with all this work you'll have become somewhat of an academic, and will lack the time to enjoy yourself and see friends. I know people who were rejected by medical schools because they did too much, and hence didn't spend a lot of time with friends, or doing other stuff
If you are a social person that can really communicate with others, than sure, you will probably get in
CwSj
Basically I want some reassurance that I'm doing enough stuff to put on my UCAS to apply for Medicine at Oxford/Cambridge next year.

A2 (doing French this year but all other next year): Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, French, maybe F. Maths (depending on how I like it this year)
I'm reasonably confident of A* grades in all except F. Maths (providing I work hard, that is.)

Extra Curricular : Volunteer work at a hospital (will have done 3 years solid by UCAS time); BioEthics soc.; Work experience shadowing a doctor (1 week done this year, will do more next year); I also plan to do work experience in a care home, as well as attending MedLink (or similar) courses.

Sorry if this sounds a bit paranoid and needy, but I'd rather take suggestions now while I still have time to make a meaningful contribution towards them.

A relative of mine had roughly what you have, maybe a few more A* GCSEs than you, but about the same. She didn't get in for medicine, at any of her four choices, because she wasn't an all-rounder.

If you're introvert, shy, unconfident, not much of a sporty-charistmatic-team-player-type-person, You will not get in. The best application on paper is brill, but what kind of a person are you to interview? Would you call yourself sociable? Do you go out and have a social life? Do you know how to unwind, play any sports perhaps?

Ask yourself these questions. Remember, all-rounder.

As an example, I know of introvert people with even more (academically) than you have, who didn't get in, anywhere, for medicine.
I also know of sociable, sports team captains, with AAB at A level and half your GCSEs, who did get in, for medicine.
Reply 27
Transatlanticdrawl_
A relative of mine had roughly what you have, maybe a few more A* GCSEs than you, but about the same. She didn't get in for medicine, at any of her four choices, because she wasn't an all-rounder.

If you're introvert, shy, unconfident, not much of a sporty-charistmatic-team-player-type-person, You will not get in. The best application on paper is brill, but what kind of a person are you to interview? Would you call yourself sociable? Do you go out and have a social life? Do you know how to unwind, play any sports perhaps?

Ask yourself these questions. Remember, all-rounder.

As an example, I know of introvert people with even more (academically) than you have, who didn't get in, anywhere, for medicine.
I also know of sociable, sports team captains, with AAB at A level and half your GCSEs, who did get in, for medicine.

A guy from my school got in last year, who was a complete geek. He loved the library and the chess club, etc etc. I thought Oxbridge don't care quite as much about your social things as other Unis for medicine? Let's face it, if Oxbridge is mainly about the academics, tons of nerds will get in for medicine, as well as the more sociable ones.

Second bold thing, AAB, got in for medicine at Oxbridge? That seems pretty weird.
Reply 28
CwSj

One of my mates applied with straight A*s at GCSE, straight A's at A level but to maths instead....the only reason she didn't get in is cos she messed up the pre-test so i think that should be your main concentration (even with a good PS, reference etc.)
Reply 29
jinglepupskye
May I just add that you can be the most wonderful academic in the world but you also need to have the personal traits that will make you a good doctor as well - unless you just want to be a surgeon!

I resent that as someone who wants to be a surgeon lol
DaveJ
A guy from my school got in last year, who was a complete geek. He loved the library and the chess club, etc etc. I thought Oxbridge don't care quite as much about your social things as other Unis for medicine? Let's face it, if Oxbridge is mainly about the academics, tons of nerds will get in for medicine, as well as the more sociable ones.

Second bold thing, AAB, got in for medicine at Oxbridge? That seems pretty weird.

No I meant got in with AAB for medicine, somewhere else (don't know where). And Oxbridge cannot discriminate and give medicine places to academic nerds. Don't forget, just like dentistry, vetmed etc, geting a place for medicine isn't just getting onto a HE course, it's also getting into a profession. It's Oxbridge's duty to uphold this and bring well-rounded people into the profession, not just academic nerds who they would (otherwise) probably normally love to have.
Reply 31
you don't seem to play any musical instrument, i'd be very worried.
Reply 32
miss_snake
One of my mates applied with straight A*s at GCSE, straight A's at A level but to maths instead....the only reason she didn't get in is cos she messed up the pre-test so i think that should be your main concentration (even with a good PS, reference etc.)

Not if you apply to Cambridge, they'll give almost everyone a interview.
This is such a "Look how good I am" thread.

Please please please don't patronize others by showing how much you have achieved and then asking if its enough.

Oxbridge uni's require a way of thinking - getting certain grades or academic qualifications by no means gives you a place. From what I see you easily qualify on paper, but its what you say in your interview and your passion for your subject that will get you through
Reply 34
^This is not an attempt at a showoff thread. I genuinely want to know what more I could be doing to improve my chances of getting in :smile:

I'd say that I interview well (from what I've been told on past interview feedback) and have good interpersonal skills.

I'm not going to say that I have the most active social life in the world, but I don't closet myself away for 8 hours at a time to do nothing but work :P

I don't play a musical instrument because I didn't enjoy the quite musical atmosphere of my first school. I guess I'm just not very musical :p:

I personally want to be a physician, mainly because of more time with a patient, but I think that a surgeon needs to be able to reassure and talk to a patient as well.
Reply 35
There should be a tally going of how many of these EXACT threads come up...

Try doing extra curriculars and write a damn good PS, because if you just 'put' down what you've done, it will mean jack...
CwSj
^This is not an attempt at a showoff thread. I genuinely want to know what more I could be doing to improve my chances of getting in :smile:

I'd say that I interview well (from what I've been told on past interview feedback) and have good interpersonal skills.

I'm not going to say that I have the most active social life in the world, but I don't closet myself away for 8 hours at a time to do nothing but work :P

I don't play a musical instrument because I didn't enjoy the quite musical atmosphere of my first school. I guess I'm just not very musical :p:

I personally want to be a physician, mainly because of more time with a patient, but I think that a surgeon needs to be able to reassure and talk to a patient as well.

Do you do any extra-curricular activities? Although lack of these may not be so much of an issue for Oxbridge (still somewhat important), it will pose quite a major problem with your other 3 choices
CwSj

Ok, but it comes over that way. Especially when you list each A* independently :smile:.

If I were you, and Im coming from a science background, just read a lot so you can expand your knowledge on the subject.

Don't worry about lack of music - its not for everyone.

As you're applying for medicine, obviously work experience means a lot - particularly if you're just volunteering.

So my answer would be reading (eg. bma journal, new scientist [good issue on cancer recently], newspapers etc.) and work experience.

But like I said before, its touch and go with oxbridge. You can only have so much control. Good luck anyway. :smile:

Have you applied yet?
Reply 38
I'm going to kill myself :frown:
Reply 39
abstraction98
Ok, but it comes over that way. Especially when you list each A* independently :smile:.

If I were you, and Im coming from a science background, just read a lot so you can expand your knowledge on the subject.

Don't worry about lack of music - its not for everyone.

As you're applying for medicine, obviously work experience means a lot - particularly if you're just volunteering.

So my answer would be reading (eg. bma journal, new scientist [good issue on cancer recently], newspapers etc.) and work experience.

But like I said before, its touch and go with oxbridge. You can only have so much control. Good luck anyway. :smile:

Have you applied yet?

You don't need knowledge beyond A level. You do need curiosity.

Latest

Trending

Trending