The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They wont get rejected just like that... They should get an interview at least though...
Reply 2
Oxford combine the percentage of GCSEs at A* with your BMAT score to call people to interview. So, it really depends how many A*s you have and how badly you did in the BMAT.
Reply 3
It is VERY important in those top 3...ucl on the other hand are nicer and will give you an interview even if you don't make 5,5.9
:hmmm:

There are no "top" universities for Medicine.

Oxford invite you for interview based on the % of A*s you have and your BMAT score.
Cambridge, look at your UMS in your AS Levels, and your BMAT and GCSEs. If they think you have a good chance of getting in, they will invite you to interview. They seem to invite more people to interview than Oxford, I think.
UCL invite you to interview if you achieve 5, 5, 9 in the BMAT. That's not to say you won't get an interview if you don't achieve 5, 5, 9.
I have no idea what imperial do.
Reply 5
imperial are actually more lenient than ucl...they require you to have half marks in each section; 4.5, 4.5, 7.5 , however those scoring higher will be interviewed first.
cambridge really look for 6+ on the first two sections, not too bothered about the essay.
ucl have a 5,5,9 automatic interview mark.
oxford use % A*s against bmat percentile to interview.
Reply 6
piece_by_piece
:hmmm:

There are no "top" universities for Medicine.

Oxford invite you for interview based on the % of A*s you have and your BMAT score.
Cambridge, look at your UMS in your AS Levels, and your BMAT and GCSEs. If they think you have a good chance of getting in, they will invite you to interview. They seem to invite more people to interview than Oxford, I think.
UCL invite you to interview if you achieve 5, 5, 9 in the BMAT. That's not to say you won't get an interview if you don't achieve 5, 5, 9.
I have no idea what imperial do.

I mean rank-wise in the league tables....as someone who applied to imperial and didn't get an interview (but had interviews at ucl and hyms) i know imperial do place quite a bit on BMAT
Reply 7
I had an interview at Imperial and by the looks of it, they interview in BMAT order. I think Imperial place quite an emphasis on the BMAT because at my interview, there was a person with no A*s at GCSE.

As mentioned before, Oxford decide who to interview with a combined BMAT/GCSE score and UCL automatically interview those with 5,5,9 so this suggests this is a good score.

In my opinion, Cambridge looks mainly at your UMS scores and your BMAT; there just happens to be a correlation with high GCSE scores.

However, once you receive an interview at any of the aforementioned unis (bar Cambridge who invite you to interview before the BMAT scores are released), it really is the interview that gets you an offer or otherwise.

Latest