The Student Room Group

AS Human Biology (AQA) - too hard!

Hey, right I have a huge problem!

I achieved a grade A in biology at GCSE level, and now I'm getting D's and E's at AS level! I'm starting to revise now for my January module, and I still don't understand whats going on! I have the specification and a CGP revision book. What should I do? Should I just sit down and revise all the CGP book? Surely, there must be stuff in there which i dont have to know, becasue there is loaaaaaaaaads to learn.

And looking at the specification, its not that detialed. ive tried past papers and im getting e's and d's. i dont know what im doing wrong, and is there really this much to learn just for a hour and a half exam in january?

can anyone please influence me and get me more positive and any tips in how to revise for biology specifically. and im also doing the 2009 specifcation, the new one, is anyone else doing this? human biology also.

Thankyou, im just really depressed at the moment. :'(

Sarah x
Reply 1
just get a specification, jot down what you need to learn and learn it.
Past papers are very useful
Reply 2
Are there any particular topics you're struggling on? Unfortunately biology's one of those subjects where you need to build up quite a big base of knowledge in order to get the higher grades.

Try to structure your revision. Pick one topic each day and revise only that topic. That's much better than trying to tackle large chunks of the specification in one go. I find it helps to read a page of the CGP book a few times, go away and do something for five minutes and then see how much of that page I can recall from memory. Do this a few times and you'll find things start to sink in.
I think the best way of revising for biology is to do what BioSam said and then do as many past papers as you can and mark them yourself, that way you can learn the type/style of answer each question wants.

dont worry about low grades so far, there is quite a big gap between GCSE and A level. i went through the same thing, had an A at GCSE, but everything came fine in the end and i got a B overall at A level.
Reply 4
Where can you get past papers and the specification from?

Latest