The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by dsmtrst
People who cannot find the adverts really need to read the nhs careers website. This page has the link to the application and the locations: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsi_how_to_apply.shtml

I think what people mean is not the application website cos that's quite easily found, but that it was said the job would be advertised in the new scientist and the nhs jobs website, like last year, so people could find out more details about the post and any changes that are happening in this years programme.
Reply 3001
It is currently advertised on new scientist jobs and jobs.ac.uk - these adverts give you a brief job description.
I doubt you will find much about how this programme recruitment has changed from last year as it's not really relevant for everyone to know that. Although if you do enough research on the internet this information is pretty easy to find.
Does anybody know what sort of things we will need to upload along with our application? I've heard people saying about personal statements, but I can't find anything on the NHS website giving instructions for preparing a PS or anything else..totally confused :s
Original post by Penguin22
Does anybody know what sort of things we will need to upload along with our application? I've heard people saying about personal statements, but I can't find anything on the NHS website giving instructions for preparing a PS or anything else..totally confused :s

It seems to be essay questions rather than personal statements this year. They're on:

Motivation and commitment to the training programme
Passion for science/technology
Patients
Team working and leadership

Up to 300 words each.

I'd much prefer a personal statement!
Original post by mateyface
It seems to be essay questions rather than personal statements this year. They're on:

Patients

Up to 300 words each.

Me too! Some of those questions are quite tricky to answer.
Original post by mateyface

Patients

Up to 300 words each.

Oh, okay thnx!! I had to proceed to the last stages of the application to find the questions..I've always been terrified of personal statements, I much prefer this type of short answers which are straight to the point.
What's everyone chosen as their specialties/areas? I have a feeling most people will go for biochemistry, but could be wrong.
Good luck guys!

The personal statements were always just thinly veiled hints at what they expect you to write about anyway. The way they're marked is literally a tick list of what you've provided evidence for, so they might as well be up front with it and ask straight questions like they have this year.
Reply 3008
Laura, I'm going for infection/microbiology, you?

I'm finding this new format a bit difficult too. Some of the info that I want to include overlaps and I'm trying to be careful not to have too much repetition. I was also thinking about what the "patient" section actually wants - my first thought was communication skills and how you interact, but then I think that understanding the role is necessary too, as in you need to be able to explain exactly how your role will impact on people. Any advice on this?
Reply 3009
Does anyone know anything at all about the online test?
Original post by Mochi
Laura, I'm going for infection/microbiology, you?

I'm finding this new format a bit difficult too. Some of the info that I want to include overlaps and I'm trying to be careful not to have too much repetition. I was also thinking about what the "patient" section actually wants - my first thought was communication skills and how you interact, but then I think that understanding the role is necessary too, as in you need to be able to explain exactly how your role will impact on people. Any advice on this?

I've gone for cardiac then biochem then haematology. I want to stay in the same area really so just picked different options.

Yeah I really didn't get what they wanted with some of the questions. I think for the patient one they want to see if you understand what the job entails, so I just talked about what skills I would use for the job, how they would help people, why they were important, then threw in a few examples of things I have already done. Not sure if that's what they wanted though!

Original post by GiGi_
Does anyone know anything at all about the online test?

I think it is just one literacy and one numeracy test, but not 100% sure.
Reply 3011
That's reassuring that someone else has the same idea then. I'm also trying to tailor my answers to the person specification which is making it harder.

Another easier question - in the "further education" part there are spaces to fill in your A level/higher qualifications. Do they really want those grades when I have both undergraduate and postgraduate courses? It seems a bit strange to be putting those down when the last higher I got was 10 years ago :O I don't know if it's better to fill in some of the more recent courses and then put the level in the "other" box.
Original post by Mochi
That's reassuring that someone else has the same idea then. I'm also trying to tailor my answers to the person specification which is making it harder.

Another easier question - in the "further education" part there are spaces to fill in your A level/higher qualifications. Do they really want those grades when I have both undergraduate and postgraduate courses? It seems a bit strange to be putting those down when the last higher I got was 10 years ago :O I don't know if it's better to fill in some of the more recent courses and then put the level in the "other" box.

Yeah I'd put the most recent courses down first and the level as other, then put your A levels/highers last.
Reply 3013
Does anyone know when medical physics positions will be advertised for Wales and Northern Ireland?
Reply 3014
Original post by laura130490
What's everyone chosen as their specialties/areas? I have a feeling most people will go for biochemistry, but could be wrong.

I'm toying around between micro and genetics. Also a little baffled by the "patient" question. I assume they are more relevant for the physiology posts... but could be wrong...
Reply 3015
Where do you guys find the person specification from? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Mochi

As with the question above, where did you find the person specification. Is that the one that they published last year (which I think I can find) or have they published one this year and hidden it? :tongue:
Just submitted my application form and now have to sit the tests.

Has anyone done the online tests yet? I'm just wondering what they're like...
Reply 3018
Original post by Nattatouille
Just submitted my application form and now have to sit the tests.

Has anyone done the online tests yet? I'm just wondering what they're like...

Hi
I'm planning on submitting my application over the weekend, do they give u a timescale, do u have to them via a different website or does it come up on the same website when u submit your application? I'm planning on submitting my application then doing the tests next week as I have to work this weekend but wondered if that was possible?
Original post by bioblue
Hi
I'm planning on submitting my application over the weekend, do they give u a timescale, do u have to them via a different website or does it come up on the same website when u submit your application? I'm planning on submitting my application then doing the tests next week as I have to work this weekend but wondered if that was possible?

You can submit the application then there's a slightly longer deadline for the tests. I did the tests today. Failed them, time is VERY tight for these and they're much harder than the practice tests. I don't know what advice to give. It seems stupid, I'd put loads of effort into getting a really good knowledge base about medical physics and to be rejected based on these things that have bugger all relation to the job seems really stupid. Good luck to everyone else I hope it goes better for all of you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending