The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mateyface
You can submit the application then there's a slightly longer deadline for the tests. I did the tests today. Failed them, time is VERY tight for these and they're much harder than the practice tests. I don't know what advice to give. It seems stupid, I'd put loads of effort into getting a really good knowledge base about medical physics and to be rejected based on these things that have bugger all relation to the job seems really stupid. Good luck to everyone else I hope it goes better for all of you.

How do you know you failed them? I just got an email afterwards saying thank you for submitting them we will get back to candidates in April to inform you of your application :confused:

They were so so difficult though! The timing is very tight, I guessed the last 4 or 5 questions on each one.
Original post by laura130490
How do you know you failed them? I just got an email afterwards saying thank you for submitting them we will get back to candidates in April to inform you of your application :confused:

They were so so difficult though! The timing is very tight, I guessed the last 4 or 5 questions on each one.

You'd know if you failed, it means that they'll look at your application for shortlisting based on the essay questions and other info in your application.
You'd know if you failed, it means that they'll look at your application for shortlisting based on the essay questions and other info in your application.

Oh right, thank you.

Personally I think it's stupid that they get rid of people purely based on some stupid test results. The tests were really difficult, one of the most difficult I've ever done for a job and I think people could easily panic and mess up. Isn't a science degree, A levels and GCSEs enough to know people are good enough with numbers and logic?
Reply 3023
Yikes, I'm a bit concerned about these tests now. It also seems a little unfair that you go through with the whole application before doing the test. Mateyface, I hope that they still look at your application. I guess if they're that much more difficult then they'll have a lower pass rate than expected and may take a look at them anyway? It's the first year they're doing this so things may not go exactly according to plan!

Regarding the person specification, I used the one from last year. A quick Google search will turn up all the documents you could ever possibly need.
Original post by Mochi
Yikes, I'm a bit concerned about these tests now. It also seems a little unfair that you go through with the whole application before doing the test. Mateyface, I hope that they still look at your application. I guess if they're that much more difficult then they'll have a lower pass rate than expected and may take a look at them anyway? It's the first year they're doing this so things may not go exactly according to plan!

Regarding the person specification, I used the one from last year. A quick Google search will turn up all the documents you could ever possibly need.

Totally agree, they should have made people sit these tests before they had to answer the essay questions imo.
:frown:
Original post by Mochi

Yes I hope so too. Maybe they set the timing a bit funny or something and could have to raise the threshold but I don't think I'll dwell too much on these hypothetical situations. I've applied to Scotland and will apply to Wales or Northern Ireland if they start recruiting as well as related jobs. If not, I guess I'll take a gap year as I didn't take one before uni and maybe get a crappy job and save up to travel a bit.

Although it would be great for me if everyone failed and they had to ditch the results of the aptitude tests I wish everyone the best of luck. I think it might be that I panicked. It was definitely not being able to answer the questions on time rather than not being able to answer the questions full stop so that's worth bearing in mind.
Reply 3026

how many questions where there around the 30 minutes??
Reply 3027
Hi thought I'd join this forum as I am interested in this thread.

I sat the test... I just want to say, "Holy $h!t!!!!!" at the end of it all.

I recieved an e-mail saying:

"Thank you for completing the online tests for the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme.
We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application."

And the application website doesn't show me my test results...? Website till buggy? Or needs more time to process?
Original post by ChiBo

"Thank you for completing the online tests for the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme.
We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application."

And the application website doesn't show me my test results...? Website till buggy? Or needs more time to process?

Congrats :smile:

Yeah mine still says that and I took the test about two hours ago! I don't think they'll give us test results tbh, I didn't get them from my NHS graduate management scheme application and I definitely passed because I got an interview.
Reply 3029
Do they ACTUALLY tell you "you failed/were unsuccessful?" if you failed? and vice versa.

Because that e-mail alone doesn't mean anything! Ha!

Oh, also hi to you all :smile:
My friend got an email saying she had failed and that they recommended she looked for other jobs on nhs jobs (harsh). So I'm guessing if you get the email saying you should hear back in April you have passed.
Reply 3031
Original post by ChiBo

Reply 3032
Original post by laura130490
My friend got an email saying she had failed and that they recommended she looked for other jobs on nhs jobs (harsh). So I'm guessing if you get the email saying you should hear back in April you have passed.

Awesome! Glad to hear that and for that to settle my mind!

(Also congrats to you!)
Reply 3033
Original post by 25121982

I cannot remember for the numerical.

For the logical there are 24Q to answer in 12mins? (I think!!)

Good luck to everyone! (Or maybe I shouldn't as this is competitive? Haha!! :biggrin:)
Hi - another newbie here. I submitted my application yesterday and did the tests straight away. I thought they were awful - im pretty good at numbers and stuff but the time limit was ridiculous and i stressed out so only answered about 15/16 of the numerical (there are 20 to answer in 20 mins). The logic was really hard too, with shape sequence things where you have to fill in the missing one. But despite that i wasn't told i had failed and got the same 'thank you message as the others described :smile: so im happy.
Original post by ChiBo
Awesome! Glad to hear that and for that to settle my mind!

(Also congrats to you!)

Thank you :smile:

Original post by littlegirlbigworld
Hi - another newbie here. I submitted my application yesterday and did the tests straight away. I thought they were awful - im pretty good at numbers and stuff but the time limit was ridiculous and i stressed out so only answered about 15/16 of the numerical (there are 20 to answer in 20 mins). The logic was really hard too, with shape sequence things where you have to fill in the missing one. But despite that i wasn't told i had failed and got the same 'thank you message as the others described :smile: so im happy.

Congrats :smile: Yeah I answered about the same number, I think because of how hard the test is the pass mark must be quite low. I guessed a lot of questions towards the end so I know that my score was probably 50% at best.
Reply 3036
If the tests are anything like standard SHL numerical/logic reasoning, then they're supposed to be hard and I don't think anyone is expected to answer all questions before time runs up. Two main reasons for doing this is to avoid the situation where majority passes (as then you won't be able to differentiate between them based on the test results) and to put you under stress conditions (working under pressure bllsht).
:smile:
Reply 3037
IMPORTANT Please note there is a minimum pass mark for each online test. If you do not meet this benchmark you will not be permitted to continue with your application regardless of where you are in the process. Meeting this minimum pass mark does not guarantee that you will be shortlisted for the interview stage it means you are kept in the selection process until we have reviewed all remaining applications which will take place after the closing date.
Reply 3038
Thank you for your interest in the Advanced Development Programme. Before applying, please review the other information on these pages about the job role, the selection process and frequently asked questions.

Applications
Applications for the 2012 programme have now closed.

Contacts
If you have any questions that are not covered in these pages, please e-mail [email protected], tweet @NHSWalesGrads or call 01443 233 378.
You can submit the application then there's a slightly longer deadline for the tests. I did the tests today. Failed them, time is VERY tight for these and they're much harder than the practice tests. I don't know what advice to give. It seems stupid, I'd put loads of effort into getting a really good knowledge base about medical physics and to be rejected based on these things that have bugger all relation to the job seems really stupid. Good luck to everyone else I hope it goes better for all of you.

Hey there,

What do the tests involve? In an earlier post someone said maths and literacy...is this the case?

Can you give an example? PLEASE

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest