Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    P.s no I couldn't arrange any visits as most the places hadn't even heard of the scheme lol!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa101)
    P.s no I couldn't arrange any visits as most the places hadn't even heard of the scheme lol!
    Aww well I guess no news is good news for now haha.

I applied for London and east too. But I chose north west over south central.
    oh god that's never reassuring when they don't know about the scheme.
    Well I have my everything crossed for both of us.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    seems like everyone got rejected for micro...as did i
    literally gutted as this is the job of my dreams...no idea how to get a job like it on my own
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get into micro either. Will try again next year. Did anyone here get an interview ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the reserve list for microbiology

Not too sure how to feel about it really though, especially as they said in the email that it might be very last minute and as I have to book flights it could get very stressy and expensive. But don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful that I'm still technically in the running.

Good luck to those still waiting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is great! Congratulations Any chance you can tell us what kind of experience you have? Just so I know what I am lacking to work on it this year thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, is there anyone on the reserve list for clinical biochem like myself? A tad disappointed i didn’t get an interview outright to be honest but i can’t complain!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I put an introduction type post when I first joined, it's got all the main info on there. I think there should be a search function or something, but let me know if you can't find it.

After seeing how many people were either rejected or are reserve, I'd say that it's still incredibly competitive even after all the tests they had this year. Anyone got an actual interview offer for microbiology?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyf89)
    Hey I've applied for cardiac sciences also. Haven't heard anything, so will continue to wait obsessively by my emails.
    Where have you applied to? Have you been able to arrange a visit to any of the labs?
    Good luck.
    Hey, I have applied to London, South Central and South East. I haven't arranged any visits, but I'm doing research with cardiac physiologists at St Peters Hospital at the moment and they said that visiting the places you have applied to isn't that important....so i'm hoping they're right!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the reserve list for biochem . Well done to all those who have interviews and good luck to everyone that's waiting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to those who managed to secure interviews, hope you guys get what you want at the end I didn't manage to get any interview for Microbiology. Utterly disappointed because part of the reason for doing the MSc was hoping to get into diagnostic microbiology. Feel like I'm pretty useless and can't get any job...

Just wondering, is there any international students who applied to the STP managed to get any interviews? Thanks.

Since I can't get on the STP, anyone could advise me on how I could get pursue a career in microbiology, be it in UK or other countries where they think or know is good for micro? Would really appreciate if anyone could advise me on this as I really love this field.

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getsuga)
    Congratulations to those who managed to secure interviews, hope you guys get what you want at the end I didn't manage to get any interview for Microbiology. Utterly disappointed because part of the reason for doing the MSc was hoping to get into diagnostic microbiology. Feel like I'm pretty useless and can't get any job...

Just wondering, is there any international students who applied to the STP managed to get any interviews? Thanks.

Since I can't get on the STP, anyone could advise me on how I could get pursue a career in microbiology, be it in UK or other countries where they think or know is good for micro? Would really appreciate if anyone could advise me on this as I really love this field.

Thanks.
    PhD?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am on the reserve list for clinical biochemistry too. For your information I have copied and pasted some info taken from the "Recruitment Process Summary for 2012":

"The number of interview places available will be identified based on a 3:1 ratio of training posts available. A reserve list equal to the number of posts available will also be collated should any of the short listed candidates withdraw before the interview stage".

Good luck x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading this thread since I applied for the genetics posts last year, but this is the first time I've posted as no one seems to be talking about genetics this year! Has any one heard anything yet? The wait is killing me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommoA)
    I've been reading this thread since I applied for the genetics posts last year, but this is the first time I've posted as no one seems to be talking about genetics this year! Has any one heard anything yet? The wait is killing me!
    Someone I know heard yesterday that they didn't get an interview for genetics....so its maybe sounding like you have an interview...?
    Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply Hollie92, I don't want to get my hopes up, I just wish they would tell us either way!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getsuga)

Thanks.
    To become a biomedical scientist in microbiology you need to be registered with the health professions council - to do this you need to get a job as a trainee biomedical scientist and complete a registration portfolio on the job and complete any top up modules for a degree accredited by the IBMS. (usually pays about 21k starting) Job mostly entails bench reads, organism identification, and sensitivity testing. Not sure if this is what you fancy doing, but its what ive done for the past 3 years and i really enjoy it, the STP will be a step into a more clinical role having an impact on how we diagnose in the lab
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anyone heard anything today?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope :-( not hopeful for hearing back before Tuesday now then. So much waiting!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The suspense is killing me! Wish I was able to get on with other stuff!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2014
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.