The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh no, paper applications sound even harder than the online ones if thats possible!! Misanthropic- I'd be tempted to ring them again and ask whether they'll confirm in writing the receipt of your application.
nevereatyellowsnow- if you google some of the information from the post, such as 'cytogenetics clinical scientist [name of hospital]', you may be able to find the advert with the contact details that way. It worked for me!!
i'll do that on monday morn - thanks noangel

has anyone successfully arranged a lab visit? I contacted all the labs I was interested in during december via email and got a response from all within 24 hrs (just for general info)! but in the last month I've email 2 of them, on 2 occassions (the other 2 u can only visit if your short-listed) but not a peep!! How am I supposed to visit the labs if they won't get back to me!!
Reply 42
misanthropic
i'll do that on monday morn - thanks noangel

has anyone successfully arranged a lab visit? I contacted all the labs I was interested in during december via email and got a response from all within 24 hrs (just for general info)! but in the last month I've email 2 of them, on 2 occassions (the other 2 u can only visit if your short-listed) but not a peep!! How am I supposed to visit the labs if they won't get back to me!!

Mine was a bit different as they were clinical visitsto Audiology departments. Two got back to me out of four, so I managed 2 visits. Bit disappointing that they leave their contact details but don't reply to emails. Lets hope they're more organised when it comes toour application. Anyone heard anything yet?
Nada!
I guess it could be quite a while before we hear as they state that if you haven't heard by May then good luck next time, they also say that any choices should be made during May...so there must be a quick turn around from setting you an interview date and you either being accepted or rejected.
Considerably quicker than medicine admissions anyway!
Reply 44
misanthropic
Nada!
I guess it could be quite a while before we hear as they state that if you haven't heard by May then good luck next time, they also say that any choices should be made during May...so there must be a quick turn around from setting you an interview date and you either being accepted or rejected.
Considerably quicker than medicine admissions anyway!

Are you applying for medcine too then? Hope I hear soon! I had an open day at one of the jobs I applied to, and they said they interview quite early, sometime in March. I presure if I don't hear by the end of next week I won't have an interview. But got three more choices!
I've applied to a few PhDs too at my current uni. I better get into something!! lol
I applied for the two embryology choices and left the other two blank. I am currently studying Human Genetics Bsc at University College London, hopefully going to graduate with a 2:1. One of them says it doesnt welcome informal visits and the other is in Cardiff! I arraged a lab visit in an andrology Lab just off Harley street through for experience. I am not sure what to do about Cardiff as I have my final year project write-up deadline looming and can't afford the time (or the money for train tickets) to get there. I might just take my chances with the ones up north as noone will have visited them.
Reply 47
Hey all!
Anyone apply for any of the positions in London?Would absolutely love to get accepted but nervous after reading how hard it is to get in:frown:
Reply 48
sarahfal86
Hey all!
Anyone apply for any of the positions in London?Would absolutely love to get accepted but nervous after reading how hard it is to get in:frown:

Hi Sarah, which speciality were the posts in?
Reply 49
nakashimayumi
I might just take my chances with the ones up north as noone will have visited them.

People up north may have visited them!!
I'm hoping to visit Newcastle once I'm home as I'm from there.
Reply 51
I've only visited one lab, although I spent 6 months working in a clinical biochemistry lab (10 years ago). I'm a bit worried that the labs I didn't visit won't even consider me know. I live in Scotland though so it would have been difficult for me to make 4 separate visits to England.
you live in scotland and can't make it? I live in N.Ire! When I emailed a few months ago and one lab manager told me visiting the lab does make a difference to your application....but in reality it would not really be considered.
Reply 53
Hey NoAngel!
Ive applied for the Cytogenetics post and two of the Molecular Genetics posts!!What about you?
Reply 54
I hope visiting one lab will be sufficient. The lab I visited told me they rejected anyone who hadn't visited a lab, but I don't know if they meant visiting any lab or their particular lab. I had a baby in October so it has been difficult enough to visit one lab and to find time to fill in my application form, let alone spend a week visiting 4 different labs across the whole of England. Oh well, if I don't get in I guess I'll have to try again next year:frown:
I will be applying for next year.

It's all I've really wanted to do since I was about 13 so I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get in.

Was speaking to someone in NHS recruitment the other day and they were like "just go for it" lol
Reply 56
sarahfal86
Hey NoAngel!
Ive applied for the Cytogenetics post and two of the Molecular Genetics posts!!What about you?

Hey! Good luck with it! I've applied for Audiology. :smile:

I think that, with regards to visiting labs, I don't think that you need to visit each lab that you applied to, I think they mean you need to hav visited any lab. They have to narrow down the applcations somehow, so not visiting anywhere is bound to be the first criteria for a rejection. I'm sure as long as you've visited one, it'll be fine though.

It feels like i've been waiting forever to hear from them!
I'm sure they don't reject purely on the basis of whether or not you have visited a lab otherwise i'm looking at 4 big ripe rejections anytime now! I think it's used only to differentiate 2 very close candidates. As previously stated, of the 2 I can visit - they don't seem to be getting back to me! I going to ring them tomorrow - or maybe right now....
Reply 58
Argh!i havent visited any labs, do you think its too late to do it now?
Reply 59
misanthropic
I'm sure they don't reject purely on the basis of whether or not you have visited a lab otherwise i'm looking at 4 big ripe rejections anytime now! I think it's used only to differentiate 2 very close candidates. As previously stated, of the 2 I can visit - they don't seem to be getting back to me! I going to ring them tomorrow - or maybe right now....

Sorry, didn't mean t scare anyone. I applied for audiology and they wanted me to have visied at least one NHS department. However, this is obviously so that I can see a department,wheras if it's a lab, i'm sure that you'd already have experience in a lab from uni or previous job, etc, whereas wouldn't necessarily have visited an audiology department. I'm sure everyone will be ok! Besides, it was only one place that said that to me, the other 3 didn't specify. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending