The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Just a question? Did you not visit any labs as part of your degree?

I've was scheduled to go on three for different modules, then we realised it was the same tour three times so we just did the one.
Reply 61
Well, I didnt visit any of the NHS labs in my degree but Im currently doing my masters so Im working in a lab all the time now so hopefully that will count for something!!!
i visited 3 NHS labs as part of my degree and i'm in my current uni's oncology labs about 20-30 hrs a week now.
aside from that I decided picking up the phone was a better idea than typing and joy of joys i arranged two lab visits in 5minutes! its just a pitty that after pricing several flights £50 seems the cheapest - and that's excluding transport to and from the airports/lab :s-smilie:
oh and a question for any1 that has visited a lab recently - is a shirt & tie/suit in order?
Reply 64
I don't know if it was me that's started the lab visit worries. To be more specific - the lab I visited (Biochemistry in the North West) said they only consider people who have visited a Clinical Biochemistry lab because it shows a commitment to the career. They told me they get 400-500 applicants, then they throw out anyone who doesn't have/is predicted a 2.1, then they throw out anyone who hasn't visited a lab, then they draw up an interview shortlist from those that are left. It may well be that other regions/specialities take a different view.

For the visit I wore jeans!
Reply 65
Is it too late to visit a lab now do you think?
Reply 66
I don't know if it is too late, but I think it would be a good idea to visit a lab. It will give you something to talk about in an interview. Also I found it useful to discuss what's involved in the job and also to find out about the short-term and long-term training. I think experience gained in a research lab during a PhD or MSc will be useful, but I think you also need see how a hospital lab differs from a research lab. That's kind of the approach I took in my application form - pointing out the experience I had from my PhD and postdoc career, but also mentioning what I had learned from my lab visit and previous Clinical Biochemistry experience. The impression I had was they wanted to see that you had researched the career and that you were committed to it in the long-term. I could be wrong though - I'll wait and see if I get an interview:smile:
Reply 67
Thanks for the advice jessthecat!!
It sounds like you will get an interview no problem!
No I meant the one I applied for up north doesnt welcome visits. It said in the handbook. I'm from up north so I want to be back up there, currently in London finishing my degree atm, my final year research project is due in by the end of term...two and a half weeks away eeeek. I can't afford the time to visit anywhere.
Yea clinical sci is my first choice too, medicine second and PhD/Biomed Sci a distant third.

I find it strange what some labs have said to individuals on here. While asking questions about the career to one of my chosen labs way back in december I queried the informal lab visits as i'm from NIre and a student - willing to visit but not really finacially equipped to do so 4 times (eight flights and 4stay overs) excluding possible interviews. I was told that when/if I get an interview just to arrange an informal visit for the day before - this is in stark contrast to what other labs have said to some of you guys!
But then what's reasonable? One lab manager might expect the right candidate to travel significant distances while another may be sympathetic and realistic. Unfortunately to hedge your bets you'll have to visit your labs - and from what some lab managers have said that is a wise idea.
Although it's harder to justify a visit from someone in my shoes (distance/finance wise) it will show a greater dedication than some guy down the road.
Reply 71
I think if you have made the effort to contact them to discuss the career then that would be looked upon favourably, particularly if you live a long way away. I was told that what they don't want is people who just see the advert and apply without giving the career much thought and that's why they encourage lab visits - so that they can select people who have looked into it and will be committed.

It does seem that it will probably be down to the individual recruiters though.
Reply 72
It says you won't necessarily hear if you've been unsuccessful, so if you haven't heard by May, then to assume you've not got any interviews :redface:( Most of the posts gave a rough idea as to when they interview also.
If I don't get an interview I will be massively disappointed!
Yea I was thinking the same, surely everyone has the minimum requirements - I can't imagine anyone daft enough to apply who doesn't. It must be quite a challenge to short-list the candidates and I can't help but think a lot of amazing scientists will loose out.
Reply 75
misanthropic
Yea I was thinking the same, surely everyone has the minimum requirements - I can't imagine anyone daft enough to apply who doesn't. It must be quite a challenge to short-list the candidates and I can't help but think a lot of amazing scientists will loose out.

I have actually come across a few people that have applied for the sake of it without realising anything about the post. For example, applying without realising that you need to apply for an MSc for some of the positions (Audiology anyway, not sure about the others). Audiology also said they disregard anyone that applies for Audiology and then another disipline- I think it'll be different for the lab jobs but I can see their point- how could you be inteterested in both audiology and genetics etc? So I think there may be more to the 'exclusion criteria' than we realise.
the more futile applications the better for guys like us!
Reply 77
I found out today that the recruitment agency who handles all the applications lost 2 out of 3 of mine!Needless, to say, I wasnt happy!!
Reply 78
I was told that half of the applications they receive are from people who don't have a 2.1 or better. I don't know if these applications are from people who haven't read the advert properly, or whether people think the degree requirements can be overlooked. Either way, it does help the rest of us who do meet the required standards. I will be really disappointed if I don't get an interview. I don't know if there will be any point in me applying again next year as I don't know how I could make my application any better :frown:. I hope we all hear soon.
Reply 79
sarahfal86 - how did you hear about your applications getting lost? Did you get the confirmation emails? I actually sent a hard copy of my application direct to each lab as I had so little confidence in the recruitment agency!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending