The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shellybaby
Hello! I'm applying for an audiology post too.
Just to let you know, a few trainee healthcare posts are already up on the NHS jobs website, so far a couple of audiology and medical physics posts are up. I'm guessing they'll start putting them up from now until march :smile: xx

What was your degree in, if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by firestar101
What was your degree in, if you don't mind me asking.

I did a degree in Biomedical Science. i just read your above post, I think medicinal chemistry is fine if you want to apply for the scheme. As long as its a pure science degree, I think you can apply to any on the STP.

Have you also applied for a masters in Audiological Science? x
I did a degree in Biomedical Science. i just read your above post, I think medicinal chemistry is fine if you want to apply for the scheme. As long as its a pure science degree, I think you can apply to any on the STP.

Have you also applied for a masters in Audiological Science? x

No. I have not applied for a masters in audiology. Are we supposed to? I thought we only did it if we get a place on the scheme. Have you applied?

Also, do you have any work experience in audiology. I have none, but would speaking to audiologists and arranging a visit to the hospital to see what they do be enough.
Reply 1163
Hellooo!

I'm applying for audiology posts too. As shellybaby said, a number of the posts are up on the NHS Jobs website. It's a bit frustrating because despite there being guidelines about how the advert should be worded, they don't all use the same title so you end up searching for 'trainee', then 'audiology', then 'clinical scientist' etc...just to find the posts!

The person specification is really quite scary :s-smilie: Is anyone else finding the whole thing a bit daunting??

Good luck anyway! :smile:
Reply 1164
PS. Me, I did apply for a Masters...but I'm not sure whether it was necessary (and neither was the admissions tutor at Southampton!). I thought I may as well, just in case. However it does seem that the new training scheme incorporates the MSc, so perhaps the hospital trusts that offer the posts have a pre-agreed number of places on the university courses?
No. I have not applied for a masters in audiology. Are we supposed to? I thought we only did it if we get a place on the scheme. Have you applied?

Also, do you have any work experience in audiology. I have none, but would speaking to audiologists and arranging a visit to the hospital to see what they do be enough.

Nah, the scheme already incorporates the MSc. Some people just apply for a Masters just in case they dont get the scheme.

I do have a little experience in Audiology, but I'm gonna try and get an informal tour of the audiology department to see how its run :smile:

Panthea - isnt it soo daunting! i've applied for a couple NHS jobs before, and I know how long it takes to fill out the supporting docs bit! good luck with ur application :smile: x
Reply 1166
Nah, the scheme already incorporates the MSc. Some people just apply for a Masters just in case they dont get the scheme.

I do have a little experience in Audiology, but I'm gonna try and get an informal tour of the audiology department to see how its run :smile:

Panthea - isnt it soo daunting! i've applied for a couple NHS jobs before, and I know how long it takes to fill out the supporting docs bit! good luck with ur application :smile: x

Aww, thank you - good luck to you too! Sounds like you have tons going for you already :smile:

The NHS Jobs application process is a lengthy beast indeed! I've applied for jobs before and it always takes ages, especially the supporting statement bit, like you said :s-smilie: Doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist so I'll sweat about it for hours before finally clicking 'submit'!! :redface:
It's annoying that they've put up some of the positions now but not the others. Grrr

Like you say, the search engine is a pain!
I've just finished writing my 'supporting information', it's almost 1000 words. Is that normal or should I cut it down a bit? I'm applying for medical physics, very scared!

I'm not certain if it's necessary to have experience but I'm certain that it helps. Most Audiology departments are really happy to have students come and get experience though but generally it has to be arranged through the HR department. I don't know how close to Cumbria you are but I've just had a weeks experience in their departament and they're all really great and don't just expect you to observe in the background but let you get hands on experience doing things as well :smile:
I have a question about this scheme, can those who are graduating this year apply for the scheme or is it only for those that have already got their degrees?

It's because I noticed in the Clinical Vascular scientist job requirement that one of their essential requirements was a 2:1 or higher degree class.

I graduate this year, does this mean I should apply next year or will I still be considered?

Thanks
(",)
Original post by (",)
I have a question about this scheme, can those who are graduating this year apply for the scheme or is it only for those that have already got their degrees?

It's because I noticed in the Clinical Vascular scientist job requirement that one of their essential requirements was a 2:1 or higher degree class.

I graduate this year, does this mean I should apply next year or will I still be considered?

Thanks
(",)

If you don't have a 2.1 or above university certificate in your hands then you don't meet the requirements
Original post by (",)

Thanks
(",)

It's worth a try. I applied when I was in final year and got to interview stage, so it is possible (unless something has drastically changed since this new change). They obviously look at 2nd year results and you have to go that extra mile to prove you're capable though.
How much do you have to write in the supporting statement section. I am applying for audiology posts. What type of things do I talk about?

Should I mention why I am interested in audiology, what makes me suited to it, etc. Is that right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1174
I have been keepin an eye on this thread for the last few months, I'm hoping to apply for the reproductive science posts but even though I have a first class honours degree it's in zoology and I'm worrying that it's not relevant. I really wish I could go back a few years and pick a biology degree instead! the annoying thing is that I shared the majority of my lectures and modules with biologists. In fact in my last year I did a whole module on animal development focusing on mammals which is all cellular development theory of reproduction. I wasn't sure whether I would get in last year so i got some laboratory experience working as an analytical chemist which I am now doing. Can anyone give me any advice on whether I stand a chance or not? I have already arranged to visit some embryology labs.
On the nhs careers website it shows four places recruiting in microbiology but I haven't found any in the job adverts. Starting to panic a little! Has anyone else been able to find them at all?
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm wondering if anybody can answer my question...

On the NHS website (http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsi_how_to_apply.shtml) it states that you can apply for a maximum of 4 training posts, which is the same as last years application process.

However now the applications are done directly through the NHS jobs website (if anyone applied last year you may recall that they contracted a separate company to handle all the applications), so how would they know if you applied for more than 4? Obviously I would like to maximise my chances of getting a place on a training course, but wouldn't necessarily want to apply for more than 4 in case I look stupid!

If anyone has any info, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by linniejoe
On the nhs careers website it shows four places recruiting in microbiology but I haven't found any in the job adverts. Starting to panic a little! Has anyone else been able to find them at all?

Don't worry, I think they are filtering them all through slowly. Keep checking back every day! If they still haven't appeared by the middle of next week it might be worth e-mailing the recruiting officer responsible.
Original post by linniejoe

hey, dont panic. i emailed one of the guys who is in charge of the place i wanna apply for and the position will be up tomorrow. so i guess theres slight delays etc,. I shouldnt worry about it!
That's great thanks. It's just because I waited for the micro positions to come up in Scotland and they ended up not recruiting. So that's why I had a bit of a panic. Especially as some posts had been up in advance. Cheers all, I will keep looking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending