The Student Room Group

HOURS OF WORK AND PAY - is it worth it??

I have got a job in Primark and so I have almost decided to take it up.

Does anyone know the pay for Primark for people who are 18 years old in West London (recent pay for 2008 if possible)
I hope it aint £4.70 or somefink ..

By the way I have been given a 4 hour shift on saturday and friday and so no break..but does Primark give 8 hours shift if you ask for over time or even 6 hours shift..i want a break sometimes too...or are they fussy and only give 4 hours...

I have heard people saying dont work for primark but i go no choice becuase other options I got were all temporary for christmas.

Cheers guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought 18 and over was min wage by law? £5.73
xxxx
Reply 2
thanks for the reply

i thought minimum wage was £4.77.....but can someone who is working for primark at the moment or has worked before tell me the pay for 18 years old.

thanks
18-21 year olds, minimum wage is 4.77 yeah you're right, so it could be that.
Reply 4
nooooooooo thats soo low esp for primark
Reply 5
Spazzycazzy
I thought 18 and over was min wage by law? £5.73
xxxx

That's over 22.
Reply 6
How is it low? They buy cheap, they sell cheap, everything is cheap therefore the staff needs to be cheap too. Employers only need to pay as much as the work is worth. If there's plenty of people looking for non skilled retail work they can have it at minimum wage because people are prepared to work for it. Don't like the wage then go find another job which pays better.
It really all depends on how much help the particular shop needs. They aren't going to pay someone for more time when they already have plenty staff. And minimum wage is pretty standard fare, unfortunately- but I earn enough to see me through uni by working long hours on minimum wage during the holiday.
Reply 8
Steeps
How is it low? They buy cheap, they sell cheap, everything is cheap therefore the staff needs to be cheap too. Employers only need to pay as much as the work is worth. If there's plenty of people looking for non skilled retail work they can have it at minimum wage because people are prepared to work for it. Don't like the wage then go find another job which pays better.

actaully primark isnt non skilled retail work its bloody more hard work compared to other stores - its busy and your always on your feet!!

i havent been told about the wage and i can easily find another job if i went out and gave my cvs. i got primark by just applying online and having been selected out of 500 people says it all. Only 80 got chosen so that is somefink.

so you can shut up your lame
Reply 9
Miss amazing
actaully primark isnt non skilled retail work its bloody more hard work compared to other stores - its busy and your always on your feet!!

i havent been told about the wage and i can easily find another job if i went out and gave my cvs. i got primark by just applying online and having been selected out of 500 people says it all. Only 80 got chosen so that is somefink.

so you can shut up your lame

It is classed as non-skilled retail work. It isn't exactly difficult. Yes its busy, but so are all stores at Xmas, that's why they take on the extra staff in the first place.

I think you have very high expectations when it comes to a job (from this and your many other threads, mainly about money), maybe you need to start being a bit more realistic.
Reply 10
Nina
It is classed as non-skilled retail work. It isn't exactly difficult. Yes its busy, but so are all stores at Xmas, that's why they take on the extra staff in the first place.

I think you have very high expectations when it comes to a job (from this and your many other threads, mainly about money), maybe you need to start being a bit more realistic.

yeh your right just becuase i see other people in shops who hardly do nothing and i work extremely hard and i always have crap pay - other vaciencies go quick and to people who are quite dum but can fit those hours.

in the mean time i will look for another job coz why go for 4 hours each day and only bring £18 and waste the entire day??
Why don't you just ask at Primark? If they're expecting you to work a four hour shift on Saturday they should at least tell you how much you will be getting paid. If they haven't volunteered the information then ring or go in and ask. Have you signed a contract or anything which details your salary?

You may think you work hard in a shop but that still doesn't make it skilled work. I work in a House of Fraser and I think I work very hard but other the product knowledge which I have picked up on the job it doesn't really require any skills/qualification.

I get good pay for an 18 year old at £5.79 an hour, but anything from £4.77 is not unreasonable as that is all the law states they need to pay you.

Four hour shifts seems odd though. Are you sure it's not just because it's your first day and they want to see how you fit it.
Reply 12
edit: never mind misread the OP due to grammar error.
Reply 13
coolh5000
Why don't you just ask at Primark? If they're expecting you to work a four hour shift on Saturday they should at least tell you how much you will be getting paid. If they haven't volunteered the information then ring or go in and ask. Have you signed a contract or anything which details your salary?

You may think you work hard in a shop but that still doesn't make it skilled work. I work in a House of Fraser and I think I work very hard but other the product knowledge which I have picked up on the job it doesn't really require any skills/qualification.

I get good pay for an 18 year old at £5.79 an hour, but anything from £4.77 is not unreasonable as that is all the law states they need to pay you.

Four hour shifts seems odd though. Are you sure it's not just because it's your first day and they want to see how you fit it.

i havent signed the cntract i m really annoyed that they gave me 4 hours i dont know why???

I wanted 6-8 hours becuase it is worth going isnt thats why i asked people in the forum if you have 4 hours contract can you ask for overtime like 8-12 hours - im not to sure about that??

the previous job i had i worked my ass off for what just £3.80 at ages of 16 gosh sooooo annoying and embarssing
You can always ask for overtime, and its likely to be busy around now so its more likely you'll get it. 4 hours is the minimum you are entitled to, should no overtime by available. Most big stores have an overtime book somewhere for you to sign up to any overtime thats available.
coolh5000

4 hour shifts are very common in shops. I work at M&S, me and many others only work 4 hours a day during the busy periods (10-2), the annoying thing with working with retail is you can't choose your hours i'm afraid.
Reply 16
i work in primark (lakeside), have done since 1st week of october.
im 19 on £5.79 an hour, i do 9-3.30 on saturdays (my contracted hour) but do whatever overtime im available to do (overtime shifts are all normaly 4 hours)
lolly pop
i work in primark (lakeside), have done since 1st week of october.
im 19 on £5.79 an hour, i do 9-3.30 on saturdays (my contracted hour) but do whatever overtime im available to do (overtime shifts are all normaly 4 hours)

Lmao, I wonder how many times you've actually served me!
Miss amazing
yeh your right just becuase i see other people in shops who hardly do nothing and i work extremely hard and i always have crap pay - other vaciencies go quick and to people who are quite dum but can fit those hours.

in the mean time i will look for another job coz why go for 4 hours each day and only bring £18 and waste the entire day??

Hmm, this post says it all really... Learn to spell before you call other people 'dum'. And like I said, I work long hours during the summers on minimum wage- the most I have done is 5 13 hour shifts in a row at once. I worked on a holiday park- we were run off our feet all day, and were doing so for minimum wage. Many people do work for minimum wage. Ask if you can have more hours. If they say no, well, that's no. Go and get another job if it bothers you.
Reply 19
Miss amazing

oh, the irony

Latest

Trending

Trending