The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well the qualification is conspicuous in its absence as it is. If someone's only got three AS-Levels most universities won't be particularly happy anyway.
The thing is, most people take only four AS or A levels, and a failed one isn't going to help towards your points toll.
Reply 3
In some cases you'd have been better to have gotten a U than an E, 'cause the E can be counted against you, even if it is in something like General Studies. :p:
Reply 4
I think U's should have to be declared. The first thing I saw when I got a U in my AS Maths was "yay, I don't have to declare this on UCAS". That's not right, surely? They might assume that I only took 3 AS Levels when they look at my application.
Reply 5
LozengeC
In some cases you'd have been better to have gotten a U than an E, 'cause the E can be counted against you, even if it is in something like General Studies. :p:

U are not classified, so NO. they shouldn't be declaired under any circumstances - source - careers teacher
Reply 6
No, because they aren't awarded.
Technically, I've got a U in English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, History, Geography, Sociology, R.S., Art, Drama, ICT, Computing, Economics, Business Studies, German, Spanish, Welsh, Media Studies, P.E. and Further Maths. The fact that I never studied the subjects and never sat any of the exams is irrelevant, they're still Us. Should I have to declare those?
RightSaidJames
Technically, I've got a U in English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, History, Geography, Sociology, R.S., Art, Drama, ICT, Computing, Economics, Business Studies, German, Spanish, Welsh, Media Studies, P.E. and Further Maths. The fact that I never studied the subjects and never sat any of the exams is irrelevant, they're still Us. Should I have to declare those?

hmmm didn't think of it that way..
Reply 9
obviously not.
declare what you want.
I got a U in a module and still declared it, does that count?
My mate declared his U because he thought he had too lol.
Reply 12
Hedgeman49
Well the qualification is conspicuous in its absence as it is. If someone's only got three AS-Levels most universities won't be particularly happy anyway.

I did and got 5 offers. :dontknow:
Hmm while I voted they should I think we should look back on this. Most of the people here are going to vote yes because they are clever...it's hard to say. I would prefer that all AS grades have to be declared rather than predictions, which means stupid teachers dont overpredict and take spots at good universities which even more able candidates could get.
Reply 14
maybe i'm an idiot, but doesn't U mean unclassified, which is technically not a grade, therefore the reason why it shouldn't be declared...?

:confused:
Ok I'm doing 5 AS's, the 5th is Critical Thinking, which I'm not too bothered about.

If I take the exam and get a grade far worse than my others. Say a C or D, would I have to declare it, or could I just pretend I never took the exam and stick with 4 grades?

Or are you forced to declare any grades above a U now? That sucks.
Hedgehunter
Ok I'm doing 5 AS's, the 5th is Critical Thinking, which I'm not too bothered about.

If I take the exam and get a grade far worse than my others. Say a C or D, would I have to declare it, or could I just pretend I never took the exam and stick with 4 grades?

Yes, you'd have to declare it (if you dropped it, if you carry it on it depends on your school). That's why it would be better to get a U than a C or D.
Reply 17
Hedgehunter
You always were required to declare any qualification - U grades aren't qualifications, therefore have never had to be declared.
Reply 18
If Us dont have to be declared, do Es? .. even though u have another 4 AS which u have declared?
Reply 19
The solution to the semantic problem of whether you could ever properly require the declaration of a "U", given that no qualification is awarded, would be to have a separate section on the UCAS form for all qualifications for which you have entered as a candidate.

Latest

Trending

Trending