The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i think it depends on what you call revision- for me, revision is all the "traditional revision" or cramming that people do in the days/weeks before exam time, and in that respect, i never revise (for the subjects im taking now at least- last year i had to revise soooo much for history to get an A). But really, revision is what you do all through the year, and it doesnt necessarily mean sitting for hours on end reading a textbook or writing up notes for the 6th time. Basically, the way i "revise" is by doing all my work/ hw on time, and making sure i can understand and remember everything ive learnt before i move on, and if that means doing extra work, then fair enough, but luckily so far it hasn't involved any of the "traditional revision" before unit tests... :smile:
they summon the devil to possess them,
now that devil that has posessed them, it will know most of the answers becuase obviously it will, it is the devil.
after the exam, the devil will be reluctant to leave, and that is when excorcism begins, BUT that is a completely different thing.
Reply 42
Tinkerbee
Because they did Business Studies :yep:

Thats not necessarily true, its not as easy as it seems. besides i kno someone who got an A in Maths and a B in business...
Lana-90
Thats not necessarily true, its not as easy as it seems. besides i kno someone who got an A in Maths and a B in business...

Oh it is, I did sod all work for two years, I really did the bare minimum and I got an A and full marks in a few modules :s-smilie:
Reply 44
daruishraz
Because, they do work. But they don't show it.

spot on :yep:
thatkidd
You can't put in no work whatsoever and get straight As. They probably put in the work in the classroom, or while in school/college.

Says who? I did no work at all, hardly attended, and crammed like mad the week or so leading up to each exam. And got AAA.

I have no reason to lie on here, so there you have it. It can be done. Any airhead with a good memory and the ability to write in an eloquent manner can get through the same way..
Because some people are more intelligent, do more logic and understanding based subjects, or retain knowledge better than you.

If anything, A-Levels should be taken back to being so hard that only these people, working hard can get As, and people who are stupid and work hard can't get more than a C+.
Reply 47
Good memory, good at cramming, and good exam technique. I get bored too easily with revising, but I don't mind reading through past papers and examiners' reports.
Reply 48
Different levels of ability & no not all clever people "work but don't show it". Some people are just naturally clever, and DONT have to work, and yes they are annoying. Why do some people find maths hard and others find it easy? I could do exactly what your asking for maths, but I couldn't do it for history for example.
Reply 49
thisisyesterday
Says who? I did no work at all, hardly attended, and crammed like mad the week or so leading up to each exam. And got AAA.

I have no reason to lie on here, so there you have it. It can be done. Any airhead with a good memory and the ability to write in an eloquent manner can get through the same way..

But you still worked.
Fully understanding a topic, instead of having to cram and learn facts for it, allows you to work answers out as opposed to reciting learnt facts.
Heh yeah, I just paid attention in most of the classes, then read bits of the revision books that I needed the night before... everything's there, so no problem. Although some revision freaks have thought I was crazy for not starting until the night before... ah well, I don't like revision!
thatkidd
But you still worked.

Oh yeah, I taught myself the material (otherwise it would be impossible).. Your post was implying that people must work in school, or really hard in classes. I was just pointing out that I did neither.
Reply 53
thisisyesterday
Oh yeah, I taught myself the material (otherwise it would be impossible).. Your post was implying that people must work in school, or really hard in classes. I was just pointing out that I did neither.

Oh, sorry, what I said was a little unclear. I suppose you're one of those academic exceptions :p: Personally, I don't know anyone who's put in very little effort and came out with a good grade.
thatkidd
Oh, sorry, what I said was a little unclear. I suppose you're one of those academic exceptions :p: Personally, I don't know anyone who's put in very little effort and came out with a good grade.

People don't like me for it, and frankly I don't like myself for it. But the sad fact is is that I can't work unless an exam/deadline is imminent. The stress it causes whilst cramming isn't worth it, I genuinely wish I were different..But I thrive on the pressue somehow..
OllyH
Fully understanding a topic, instead of having to cram and learn facts for it, allows you to work answers out as opposed to reciting learnt facts.

I disagree here. Although I did memorise facts, I also let myself develop into personal thought and opinion to form well rounded arguments in my exams.

I don't think cramming it in the last minute means you understand it any less. You just work differently, at a different pace.

I'm not sure just how much of the fact has stuck in my long-term memory, but I'm sure I could quickly refresh myself should I feel the need.
Tinkerbee
Because they did Business Studies :yep:

Lovely dig. :wink:
Reply 57
daruishraz
Because, they do work. But they don't show it.

Nope. I certainly didn't.
Reply 58
Rubbish. I have yet to see a person who is a straight A student and not a hard worker. Yes, they may be able to absorb more information. Yes, they may be naturally able. But that will only get you so far. I know many people who are very very clever but because of laziness, have poor grades.

The usual case is that the person who you think is not revising, is either hiding the hours they put in or simply lying about revision ( to look "cool" ).

Grades are usually an indicator of hard work, not intelligence.
MM360
Hi

I was just wondering about this, because there are a few people i know who just revise a few days before the exam and thats it and come out with 90%+ in modules. they do nothing for up to the last week before the exam. :mad: :mad:

its not fare and if you do it whats your secret. :confused:

I just want to point out that i work my a*** for every exam. :mad:

The secret is revision throughout the rest of the year. You'll be surprised how much difference 30 minutes a day can make.

Plus there are always the elect few with photographic memories and super sized brains.

Latest