The Student Room Group

Unsure of which route to take (No chem)?

I'm currently in year 12 doing Biology, History, English lit & Philosophy.
My school couldn't offer me chemistry due to the class being full and a clash with my other subjects. I have looked into evening classes in Chemistry but none are offered around where I live. Basically I have already tried everything I could think of so that I could do chemistry but it seems like a no go for this year at least.

I'm trying to decide what option to take:

1) Apply in a years time to foundation medicine.

OR

2) Finish my A levels, take a gap year and do chemistry A level in one year then apply to A100.

I heard it is far more difficult to apply to foundation medicine and I'm just not sure what I should do?

The other thing is I only have a C in GCSE maths and need to get a B so I have to re take this at some point too, so would it be worth having a gap year to do that as I can't sit higher paper in my school. I have no where to do it either! My gcse's were: A*AAAAABBCCC ...

Thanks for any advice I'm just frustrated with this !
Reply 1
Self teach it? :dontknow:

'twould show determination :smile:

PS: i think it's terrible how they didn't let you do chemistry on the basis of full classes. Didn't they know you wanted to do med or was it a recent decision?
Hmm Chemistry-related subjects are indeed going to be hard if you don't have chemistry/maths... and if you have no idea of maths you shouldn't take it at all. I don't know what advise to give you :frown:
Do you need chemistry?

otherwise see if you can drop a subject after AS and pick up chem AS whilst doing the others A2, then do a gap year and finish the a level?
Reply 4
modini
Self teach it? :dontknow:

'twould show determination :smile:

PS: i think it's terrible how they didn't let you do chemistry on the basis of full classes. Didn't they know you wanted to do med or was it a recent decision?

I thought of self teaching but i'd really want to be taught it I don't think i'd cope 100% on my own with it.
They knew I wanted to do medicine but they couldn't offer everyone a place on the course as the schools quite small and does not have the greatest science department.

They also said i shouldn't want to do medicine as my GCSE's were too poor. So talk about encouraging lol..
Try applying to the foundation course..you've got nothing to lose. Im applying for foundation and i havent got Chemistry to A level. If it doesnt go to well at least you gave yourself the chance. Some unis like peninsula and uea only want biology A level. so perhaps you could try applying to some foundation and some unis that dont ask for chem.
Reply 6
Jinxy
I thought of self teaching but i'd really want to be taught it I don't think i'd cope 100% on my own with it.
They knew I wanted to do medicine but they couldn't offer everyone a place on the course as the schools quite small and does not have the greatest science department.

They also said i shouldn't want to do medicine as my GCSE's were too poor. So talk about encouraging lol..

By my past research you qualify for all but Birmingham (and maybe imperial).
Reply 7
Id say take the foundation year (but the course is long enough as is), the other alternative is do it by the back door, do a bio sciences degree and then do fast track medicine (it shoudnt be that expensive, as IIRC the last two years of A102 are paid for/subsidised by the NHS)
Reply 8
Destiny2006
Try applying to the foundation course..you've got nothing to lose. Im applying for foundation and i havent got Chemistry to A level. If it doesnt go to well at least you gave yourself the chance. Some unis like peninsula and uea only want biology A level. so perhaps you could try applying to some foundation and some unis that dont ask for chem.

I was thinking of doing that and applying to 3 A104's and Newcastle's A100 then providing i got the grades i'd meet the entry criteria! :smile:
Its always an option and if you do choose to do it atleast you will be applying for something next year rather than having to go straight into a gap year.if you never try you never know. which a104's would you apply to?
Reply 10
Destiny2006
Its always an option and if you do choose to do it atleast you will be applying for something next year rather than having to go straight into a gap year.if you never try you never know. which a104's would you apply to?

machester, UEA & Dundee :smile:
Resiting your maths and applying for foundation courses is your best bet in my humble opinion! Taking AS chem next year would increase your options also. UEA don't require chemistry at all for their 5 year course - so they might be worth a look...
Reply 12
theatrical
Resiting your maths and applying for foundation courses is your best bet in my humble opinion! Taking AS chem next year would increase your options also. UEA don't require chemistry at all for their 5 year course - so they might be worth a look...

thank you, you get positive rep for that :smile:

I hope to be able to re sit my maths and find somewhere to do it, that's the biggest problem i'm having at the moment i am not one to self teach so i'd have to be taught it.

Latest

Trending

Trending