The Student Room Group

Work Experience in US Congress

Hiya,
Im trawling the internet looking for help on this and I cant find anything. Basically, I would like to do about 3-6 months work experience for a US Senator or Congressmen. Have already done experience within Parliament- and on my Gap Year would love to enjoy the pork filled beauty of the American System.

However, Can anyone tell me if it is indeed possible for a British citizen to work in US Government? Would I have to get a Green Card? Would it be impossible for me to get paid?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Obviously I need to secure experience first- but its pretty difficult to do that without knowing what my potential status would be.
Reply 1
I know im not helping and I do apologise but how did you get the one within Parliament?
You missed out on the chance to work with President-elect Obama
Reply 3
sleekchic
I know im not helping and I do apologise but how did you get the one within Parliament?

Write to your MP (or any other MP, for that matter, but you're more likely to get a place if you're a constituent) and ask for it. Very often they're willing to give paid and unpaid positions to students who are interested in going into politics in academia.
Reply 5
jcevans2
Hiya,
Im trawling the internet looking for help on this and I cant find anything. Basically, I would like to do about 3-6 months work experience for a US Senator or Congressmen. Have already done experience within Parliament- and on my Gap Year would love to enjoy the pork filled beauty of the American System.

However, Can anyone tell me if it is indeed possible for a British citizen to work in US Government? Would I have to get a Green Card? Would it be impossible for me to get paid?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Obviously I need to secure experience first- but its pretty difficult to do that without knowing what my potential status would be.

You can probably intern for a senator/congressman on a visa (not sure which type), and the ones that are open to internationals are almost definitely unpaid - Congressional internships are *very* competitive even for Americans in university and thus they can afford to make even experienced postgrads work for free. Also erm this sounds racist or w/e but you're British and headed to university, right? That might make obtaining the visa less complicated than if, say, you were from a more impoverished country and have never been to school where the immigration people get darn suspicious about you overstaying your visa etc. So, definitely possible to get a visa. But not a Green Card - that's like Indefinite Leave to Remain :biggrin:

You apply to individual congressmen/senators. Yes, this means mass mailing. Check their individual websites; most have a page about internships with an explanation of the job scope (quite a bit of it is clerical) an application form, deadlines, etc. Usually you can choose to intern in the DC office (where Capitol Hill is), which I imagine is far more competitive than their offices within their District/state. Also erm the competition in summer goes up sharply, so if Spring application deadlines have not passed yet go for those if possible as it makes it easier to get an internship.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I spent a month as an intern in the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. That was pretty awesome. I applied directly to the Committee. I think I might have been the only high school student ever to go there. All the other interns were graduate students or had finished their degrees.

Latest

Trending

Trending