The Student Room Group

Can I Get Into Uni With This? !!!

Hi im applying for a graphic design degree to the following universities such as kingston, university of east london and london met i was wondering if i could get in to the unis with these grades

GCSEs
Science single award: D
English: D
english lit: D
economics: F
art and design: B
history: E
maths: C
GNVQ art and deisign: Merit

A levels
Art and deisgn: AA double award
Design and tech: E

im really worried i wont get into especially with a D in GCSE english.
Do you think that most unis will accpet a D in gcse english when applying for a degree in graphic design?
Reply 1
Have you looked at their entry requirements? Do they specify anything about GCSE grades?
Reply 2
e in design and tech a level is more of a thing i would be worried about, iam sure D in english wouldnt matter much.
yep they require a C in english and 160 ucas points for the course which includes A lvl art and design
Reply 4
ednut
yep they require a C in english and 160 ucas points for the course which includes A lvl art and design

Well if they want a C in English and you have a D, then you've missed the entry requirements. Do you satisfy the points level for A-levels? The unis you have selected tend to be a bit more flexible with entry requirements so that doesn't autmatically mean you're going to be rejected. Might be worth emailing the admissions' departments of the unis you're applying for and asking them about whether that D will be a problem or not.
Reply 5
I wouldn't have thought so, unless the uni is crap in which case why bother?
the entry requirements for these unis require ucas points for 160.
I have gotten my ucas points up to 280 so my a lvls meet the requirements its just my englidsh im worried about ^^
Reply 7
ring them and ask to speak to the specific course directors...
what you could do to get round it tho is apply very very very last minute (im talking the day of the deadline) and if there are ANY places left they will make you an offer with that you've got. I got into a uni asking for 3 Bs with CDD that way :biggrin:
good luck ! x
Reply 8
ednut
the entry requirements for these unis require ucas points for 160.
I have gotten my ucas points up to 280 so my a lvls meet the requirements its just my englidsh im worried about ^^

Well then, contact them and ask.
ok thx =]
Reply 10
well this may be a long shot, but you could always pay £270 and take an extra a level course?
Reply 11
goats
well this may be a long shot, but you could always pay £270 and take an extra a level course?

Why would they want to do that, if they've already met the A-level requirements?
i just wondering if a specific unis metioned above will accpet me with D ib gsce ebglish even though they reuqire a C, but all other netry requiremtents are met.
Reply 13
Ask them, if not just retake the gcse. To be honest I think it's a pretty essential qualification to have in terms of jobs and stuff.
Reply 14
Um tbh i think maybe retaking a few gcses would be beneficial.
Or you coulld just phone up and ask!
Reply 15
Most universities/colleges are far more concerned with the quality of your portfolio than your academic grading.

Latest